Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Water Department overcharges « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In keeping with what I think is the accepted policy, I have posted a few lines and a link to the full story.

From WWJ-950
On this St. Patrick's Day, some Detroiters are looking for a lot of green from the city.

Residents at St. Martins Cooperative, near Meyers and Outer Drive on the city's west side, have been overcharged on their water bills for decades. They say the city owes them over $500,000.

http://www.wwj.com/EXCLUSIVE:- -Residents-Overbilled-for-Wate r-for-Dec/1836007

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They overcharged people in the University District for many years--the story I heard was that because the houses there had large diameter supply lines, they got charged a commercial rate. As water rates rose, people complained, and they fixed it for a while, but recently I heard the rates had gone back up again.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now thats the cash cow(DWSD) for the current administration. You gonna get ripped off and there's nothing you can really do about it. About two years ago they put in a 25 million dollar security system . That completely replaced a 10 million dollar one that was only about eight years old.
Currently they are in the process of installing new remote radio read water meters because people are complaining about estimated bills.
That projects price is somewhere in the 30 million dollar range.

SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR THIS STUFF!
WHY NOT YOU!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are two class action suits against DWSD going on now, join the class if it applies.
1 for the commercial rates charged to non commercial properties because of the size of their supply line as noted above.
2 for charging an industrial waste charge to those same non commercial customers being treated as commercial.

when they went to monthly billing estimated bills became the norm.
sad they are spending 30mil to get readings, can't we hire a fleet of 20 ppl to do this daily for about 10 years?

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My meter hasn't been read in over two years. My monthly bill now is at least $15/mo more than it was back when they bothered to come actually read it. Tried calling about it but got sick of sitting on hold; last time I called I hung up after 45 minutes.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had estimated bills for a long time and when I called DWSD to ask why (I called early in the day and was on hold for maybe 5 minutes), they scheduled a meter reading where the person would come inside my house to read the physical meter instead of the wireless transmitter on the outside of the house. It turned out that there was a problem with the water meter in the basement, which DWSD came out to fix a short time later. All visits were at the scheduled times and handled professionally. No complaints from me about DWSD.

(Message edited by DRM on March 28, 2008)

Username: 7051

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the University District and any 3 monthly bills are now cumulatively more than the old quarterly bills. The reads are actual too.

???

My meter size on the bill says 3/4"

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the NW side of Detroit and I was getting estimated bills for about 3 months in row last year than they did an actual reading and all of a sudden it said that I owed about $250.00. I called them immediately and unfortunately it was correct.

Now even if my bill is under a $100.00 I send them $100.00 dollars and so far for the past 2 months I have had a credit on my bill and I have not had to make a payment either.

Also when they do state it is estimated I check my reading on my meter to see if it is close to my reading so I will know if there is a big difference or if it is actually close.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MichiganSheiK: Could you please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com to discuss these two suits? Will explain my interest there...

Blueidone

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give me a case number, or the attorneys handling these lawsuits? I know some people who might be interested in joining in.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get a $100 water bill? Is the cost of water that high or the sewerage amount? Mine down here for an average of 5200 gallons a month is $17.89 for water and $20.01 for sewer.

Michigansheik

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

contact the Becker Law Firm, P.L.C. in Oxford Mi 248- 628-2221

Blueidone

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"contact the Becker Law Firm, P.L.C. in Oxford Mi 248- 628-2221"

Thanks for your reply, MichiganSheik. Are they handling both suits?

Michigansheik

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am certain that Becker is handling the industrial waste charge suit. I am not certain if they are also on the commercial/residential rate charges but believe so, you'll have to ask to be sure.

Blueidone

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your help, Michigansheik. I will give them a call.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.