Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » FINALLY- Searchable Neighborhood Crime Stats! » Archive through March 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/De partments/PoliceDepartment/tab id/141/Default.aspx

Searchable by crime type, dates, and neighborhood. I was wondering when GIS systems were going to be made public.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful. Was DPS forced to make this info public?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet is they were waiting on their new server/web design before launching. Something like this probably takes a lot of bandwidth and the last host was probably under a long-term contract.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it would be nice if I could access the site. I keep clicking the "I agree" button for the disclaimer, but the site does not open. Would love to see what the stats are for my old neighborhood

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, near my old address, there have been 8 vehicles stolen in the last month (Searched a half-mile radius)! Glad I had garage parking.

Within a block of my house, there was an auto theft, an assault and larceny committed in the same time period.

And these are just the 'reported' crimes.

(edited to add a stolen car hidden by street name on map)

(Message edited by rel on March 15, 2008)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks great, very easy to use. Why aren't homicides viewable?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much happening in my area. (Harper and Gratiot) I was wondering that also Gsgeorge maybe they are afraid to show so many. LOL

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe homicides are listed under assaults, that way there's no need to make retroactive changes here if the victim later dies.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! This should really help residents and reporters track crime.

What is the difference between robbery, larceny, and burglary?

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well. this is neat, but the results are disturbing. Within 1/2 mile of my house, in the last 30 days:

5 assaults
3 burglaries
1 armed robbery
5 larcenies
11 car thefts

And of course as someone else pointed out, that's just what got reported.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old 'hood didn't miss out on anything, within a quarter-mile over the past month, and was mostly burglaries.

Looks like a reported auto-theft happened recently, only a few houses away from our old home. My sister's car was stolen overnight when we lived there. It was found parked a few miles south on Gratiot, so the thieves only used it for a joy ride, nothing was missing...

But it was one of the infamous mid-70s Ford Mustang IIs, and it had a four-banger engine with such poor acceleration, that it forced you to floor it at the beginning of an on-ramp to an expressway, so that you could be going fast enough to merge into the freeway traffic without getting killed.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I understand it (no guarantees)

burglary can be a simple breaking and entering, without theft

larceny is theft (including stuff like embezzlement)

robbery is taking property using intimidation or violence

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neato. I credit Lil Pup with this.... :-)

Lilpup

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, but I doubt it.

Cripes, put in 1300 Beaubien for a 1/2 mile sweep for 30 days. It must be because Greektown's a bar laden tourist mecca.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Since the Detroit Police Department was established in 1865, it has been widely viewed as one of the world’s premiere law enforcement agencies"

Say what????

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this site will help deter crime. Maybe if the DPD promotes it right more victims of crime will come forward. Also, if DPD targets high crime areas maybe they'll be able to drive down crime as well.

I'm just wondering will they keep this up to date, or is it a once in a lifetime deal.

P.S.: Why no traffic related offenses, such as drunk driving, etc, etc.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most sites I've seen don't have traffic related offenses listed. The FBI crime reports focus on violent crimes and property crimes.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is excellent news I'm glad I didn't buy that domain after all. Good find Rugbyman.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5647
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But it was one of the infamous mid-70s Ford Mustang IIs

We had one of those when I was young. What a piece of junk! When my parents sold it, I asked my dad where it went. He said they were going to recycle it into cat food tins.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't seem to be working now....

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4811
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Works for me.

Yeah, this is great. Now the neighborhoods with the least crime can start using things like this to shed the unfair crime stigma they've had to bear. Then they can serve as good examples for the rest of Detroit who could then try to duplicate those results.

Maybe Detroit could then start racing to the top.

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 15, 2008)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have it now. I clicked on "crime statistics" in the navigation bar and got nothing. If you go directly here:

http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcom munity.com/

you will find it.

This is fantastic news. Congratulations to the DPD for this.

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having trouble getting the page to open. When I click on "search" it keeps telling me there is an error and something about a timeout. Any sugestions?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^same here^

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same here, i keep trying different locations over and over again nothing comes up, it says error & time out. The site doesn't work just like everything else in this city.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4813
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm getting a timeout message now too.

It worked before.

Try again later, I'd guess.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was my first time trying out the new site, never works. kinda like a Detroit street light.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat, but very depressing.

My old neighborhood (Riad+Morang)

2 assaults

20 auto theft

10 burglaries

2 larceny

4 armed robberies

Disgusting. I knew it was bad but not THAT bad.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the maps would look like if you could search the previous year...