Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Golf Courses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering how many golf courses are located within the Detroit city limits. The only ones I know of for sure are Palmer Park and the Detroit Golf Club. I tried to google it but I couldnt get alot of information and the search function wasnt loading for me. thanks.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4507
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chandler Park

great place

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Park, Chandler Park, Rouge, Rogell, DGC, Belle isle (is it still open?)

Rouge is a pretty good challenge for most golfers. Palmer is mainly for beginners (i worked there for four summers...free golf at palmer, rouge, rackahm, the woodlands ,and chandler :-)...Chandler is a nice track. Rogell is very hilly and is a challenge although I wish they would keep it in better condition

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chandler park.
If anyone was ever driving on 94 in the late 70s and your car was struck by a golf ball, that was me.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...i remember at a practice (i was on king h.s. golf team) i was on no. 5, that short par 5, and i had about 150 left to the green. I was like "yeah this is an easy shot, I'm gonna get on in two and at the least make a birdie"...I skulled the ball clear over the green onto the freeway.They really do need a net or something on holes 3, 5, and 8.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've broken many a window @ Rogell

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogell, Rouge, Chandler, and Rackham are all great courses. Rogell was the last of the city owned courses. Hopefully with new ownership the condition will improve. I haven't played there for 3 or 4 years so I don't know if it has gotten worse than it was. Walking Rogell is a tough task.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogell is not owned by Detroit anymore.
While all the rumors and lawsuits flew about Rackham, Rogell slipped under the radar and was sold (stolen) for 2.5 million to the Edgewater Church.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgewater Church...he means Greater Grace

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogell and Rakham were both designed by the great golf architect Donald Ross- think of him as the Albert Kahn of golf courses: Detroit Golf Club, Oakland Hills, Grosse Ilse Golf Club, Western, and of course, Pinehurst in South Carolina.

Here's is what I wrote some time ago:

"Rogell Golf Club
Local golf course architect and author Jeff Mingay gave me the inside track on Rogell and said it was one his favourite local Donald Ross courses – mainly because little has changed since Ross designed it in 1921. Renamed after Detroit Tigers’ great Bill Rogell, it was original known as the Redford Country Club; the course is now run by the city of Detroit.

Rogell is vintage Ross – rolling fairways and small undulating greens. While the front nine has a few holes that are less than spectacular, the sloping terrain can make things very challenging.

The back nine features a set of holes that are a pleasure to play, beginning at the 11th hole, cut though a narrow chute of trees and the 12th – a vintage Ross hole that must be seen to be appreciated.

With its many hills and dales, Rogell is a tough walk compared to the flat courses of Essex County. And don’t expect a pristine course at Rogell – it can be a little rough around the edges. Do expect to be surprised, and to enjoy a sensational round of golf at one of the best kept secrets in the Border Cities.

Rackham Golf Course in Huntington Woods, adjacent to the Detroit Zoo, is easily accessed from this side of the river. There are no water hazards, and most trees scattered about the property can be avoided. Unlike Rogell, Rackham is very walkable.

A favourite among local golfers since 1924, Rackham features Ross’ trademark well-bunkered, smallish greens. Rated one of the top ten municipal courses in the state of Michigan, Rackham once earned a reputation as one of the top courses in the state. Rackham’s golf pro Ben Davis was one of the first black golf course instructors in the country. Detroit native Joe Louis the “Brown Bomber” reportedly enjoyed Rackham’s charms; and the clubhouse is a beautiful structure.

For a course that gets a lot of play, Rackham is well conditioned with consistently defined sand traps and true rolling greens. When the I-696 freeway was built, several holes had to be moved on the front nine. The first couple of holes are therefore quite noisy with incessant freeway traffic, but once you make the turn toward the back nine, the course becomes a pleasure and those with a keen eye will appreciate Ross’ touches.

I love the signature number 15, which plays uphill and is protected by magnificent Donald Ross bunkers that line the fairways. You can hear the birds singing and the big cats growling, as this hole plays alongside the Detroit Zoo!

As a final note, while conducting research for this piece, I uncovered another Detroit municipal golf course designed by Donald Ross: Warren Valley Golf Club in Dearborn Heights, featuring an east and west course, 18 holes each. Much research will be required there – a publisher’s work is never done!"

You can read about Donald Ross' Windsor public course, Roseland, at:

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/36/roseland-1926.html#other

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see the remains of whats left of the old Bonnie Brook coarse at 8 Mile and Teleghraph. Some of the old bridges are there, and I've seen plenty of phesants and woodchucks while walking through there.

Lowell took some great pics when they tore down the old clubhouse.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on March 18, 2008)

(Message edited by detroitej72 on March 19, 2008)

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is there still a course open on Belle Isle?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogell's management sucks I was there this summer and the clubhouse had very limited amenities other than some chips and a warm bottle of water. the property needs an investment to upgrade it. The course it rough, you have to take a cart.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Bonnie Brook was sold,the site plan/compromise with neighborhood was to re-open a 9 hole golf course on the remaining land, never happened. River flood land, so that part of the property cannot be built on or used for anything but golf or park land.
Can't blame the owners for selling, the Henry Ford Trade School Alumni are all over 70 now, ranks are thinning.
When KMart was guilted into building a new store in Detroit they were not welcomed by the neighborhood around 7-Meyers.UNTIL a compromise was reached that a nearby church-Greater Grace would develop the property and rent to KMart. Then it seemed to be OK for a big box store to set up there.
Forward a few years. Greater Grace relocates to Edgewater site. Kmart announces plans to build at nearby Bonnie Brook site. The neighborhood fights- at least those who sided with Greater Grace politics. This time GG did not get development rights, instead that 9 hole course was proposed by the developers.
It was convenient when living by 7/Telegraph- 4 golf courses nearby.But Bonnie Brook is gone, Rogell has been neglected then sold to Greater Grace.(The other 2 courses are in Redford and Southfield,still open)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GG still owns the property that the Detroit Home Depot sits on (Former K-Mart site). Last I heard, they were looking at selling that property and cashing out.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone post a picture of the Bonnie Brook golf course prior to the demolition?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2001/06-bb/bb00.htm

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The golf course on Belle Isle is still open. Nine holes. Reasonable rates. Don't forget to check out the relatively new driving range on the east end of the island.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11860
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny this should come up, I just stumbled upon the Rogell sale to the Greater Grace Church while doing research on the corruption run rampant between our fair mayor and his cronies...while they courted the religious leaders in Detroit to solidify their base!

Rogell...what a shame such history will wither and rot...

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Chandler Park - In the late 90's and early 00's in June of those years was the "Gun Fire Classic".......an annual tournament from those who lived in the Eastside neighborhood in the 60's.....The course remains in great shape and fun to play while the neighborhood has deteriorated and gun fire could be heard while playing a round of golf......interesting times we live in.....

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some are confusing the players in the K-Mart deal. That was Hartford Baptist Church that was involved, not Greater Grace.

While the K-Mart was opposed pretty strongly by many in that neighborhood, I'm pretty sure Hartford owned that property well before a K-Mart was proposed for the site.

Greater Grace did buy Rogell. That was the one city-owned course that was never turned over to American Golf and it showed in terms of the condition. I recall the city wanting to hold on to operations of one of the courses in case the "outsourcing" didn't work.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry it is Hartford that owns the 7 Mile Home Depot land (old K-mart)

Hartford owned that land for years before K-Mart came up.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5276
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The range in Belle Isle is nice but bring your own clubs. It is not all that long either

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've played a lot of rounds at Chandler Park. I agree...they need nets to protect freeway traffic! My dad used to talk about how back in the 50's and probably before and since, the prostitutes would frequent Chandler Park GC, and lure golfers into the bushes for a quick BJ. Do the golf courses keep a record of people that score a hole-in-one at the course? My dad got an ace at Bonnie Brook when I was a little kid and I'd like to have something documenting it.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grunpyoldlady, it depends on the course. The USGA has a record of all reported hole-in-ones. I scored mine at The Jewel at The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island. I know they have a record book there will a list of all those who have scored one.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how the DGC is doing with the economic downturn along with their older facilities and a location inside the City?

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thoswolfe Greater Grace does not own it; Hartford Memorial does.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Chandler Park Golf Course damaged by the '97 tornado(es)?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Rouge Golf Course in the early 70's and many a ball went in the Rouge River on hole #10 I believe. You had to hit over the river twice to get to the green.
Saw Smokey Robinson there and spoke with him briefly. He said he wanted an orange drink and I replied, "Large or small?"
While acting as a starter, I saw a lady in a nightgown arrive with a golf ball shortly after a duffer sent one over the fence, Berg Road
and into her window. She less than pleased to be awaken on a Sunday morning that way.
Guys used to hop the fence and start golfing before we got there at 5:30 am.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.