Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » White Flight 2.0 « Previous Next »
Archive through March 19, 2008Screamingfit30 03-19-08  1:26 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet.

Ferndale is not only having a "Black ghetto invasion" but a homosexual invasion as well.
------------------------------ ---
Danny, consider yourself lucky . When gays moved into my neighborhood it was incredible. Things improved, homes skyrocketed and everyone came together
Im not stereotyping , or at least I hope I 'm not, but the gays have money and taste. Need I say more. They have opened hair salons, antique shops and are really into landscaping. Well, needless to say, I along with the rest of my straight neighbors benefited from their hard work and determination. Our homes have quadruppled in the last 15 years and we now live in a "tony" shopping district.
Like I said, count your blessings when the gays move it. They are trendsetters and eveyone benefits.... Jane

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Didn't know being an Arab or East Indian classified under the census. Or even under the same category. They're not from the same region to class them them the same.

Also what is "Other"? Where are the Italians, Greeks, Polish, and the like.

Don't trouble your little head about it. Danny just makes those numbers up from time to time.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto what Janesback said. Gays are good for neighborhoods. (Pssst... don't tell the religious right.)

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking about rentals: One of the guys from Ferndale I was talking to mentioned that many white owners are "asking" $1000 + to keep the ghetto element out of their rentals.

His brother inquired about a rental with a $1000.00 asking price, after the owner met him and liked him (white), he got the place for $550.00. The owner came right out and told him that if he advertised the real price, he would be inundated with the "ghetto element." Like I said, I didn't realize Ferndale was having those issues to that extreme. I knew Rosie's and Buffalo Wild Wings were getting a little ghetto, but I didn't think the housing was that bad.

P.S. And I agree, the gays are good for a neighborhood.

(Message edited by jhartmich on March 19, 2008)

(Message edited by jhartmich on March 19, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5726
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, Detroitrise was right on in the second post. This thread is done. Ferndale is not becoming ghettofied. Did you see it in the 80's, when downtown was a bunch of run down empty storefronts? Many homes have been remodeled, many more are being remodeled around me all the time, young couples are everywhere, kids are playing on sidewalks. Let this thread drop off the bottom of the page where it belongs.

Rosy O'Gradys? Give me a break. When was that a nice place?

Jhartmich

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is forcing you to read this post. Read another one if you don't like it. The rest of us can talk about what we please.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read it and gave my opinion about it. You don't have to read my opinion if you don't like it. The rest of us can talk about what we please.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4059
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhart, as my dad would say, "Back off, Jackson".

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What fun this is. Ferndale is indeed becoming "Ghettoized". Just look at my crib and you will agree. And my new neighbors are...GAY! When they fixed up the frumpy little house next door, they ruined my evil plan to build a downtown skid row. Now I’m seeing black people all over the place in Ferndale like they live in some kind of free country! But not to worry, as the city will soon tax their asses right back from wince they came. Just where is “99 Mile Road” any way? I would like to flee it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What that landlord is doing absolutely violates both Michigan's Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act and Title VIII, the Federal Fair Housing Act.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My building has become 50/50. I see a lot of colored in Buffalo wild wings. Some black owned businesses on 9 mile.I dont care where folks come from as long as they dont bring a typical bigoted biased attitude with them to Ferndale. I didnt appreciate that stupid bradley armored vehicle on 9 mile during the dream cruise. Where was Peace Action? The invasion of holier than thou social conservatives on weekends who snip and sneer about Affirmations or Ferndale in general,irks me. If you want to be an uptight jerk go to Fraser or Livonia. BTW when my ex girlfriend (West African) and I walked 9 mile I noticed more negative reactions (body language) from blacks than whites.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5277
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I noticed more negative reactions (body language) from blacks than whites"

Did you have your hand up her ass?

Terryh

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol@Patrick. We held hands.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything about white flight in Ferndale. It always was more integrated than some of the other 'burbs in that area. However, over the past year or so I keep hearing about racial tensions in Hazel Park, especially at the high school.

Terryh

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale whites tend to be progressive-liberal, so I dont think whites will flee as quickly compared to more conservative suburbs. Haven't heard many negative racial comments from white Ferndale residents.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read somewhere a lot of the new white flight has to do with school of choice law .
People are moving because they don't want there kids going to school with what they consider bad influences from Detroit
In one way I can understand why when I bought my house I looked at what kind what kind of kids my kids would be associating in my new neighborhood and school of choice puts a new spin on that

Terryh

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class anxieties play just as much, if not more of a part,as race, for many residents when choosing a school or city. If I was a parent of a child, I would prefer, if possible, for my child to attend school in a middle to upper middle class community. Are Detroit or working class suburban students more likely to have attitude or behavioural problems, than students in Huntington Woods or Birmingham?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"However, over the past year or so I keep hearing about racial tensions in Hazel Park, especially at the high school."

Hazel Park has an adult ed center on 9 Mile. Go around there at about 2:45 pm. and you'll see about 40 black folks-no whites- hanging out on the sidewalks. I've seen blacks all along John R in Madison Heights as long as I can remember.However, I do't think most live in those cities. I see a few blacks in the neighborhoods in Hazel Park, but never in Madison Heights.
Just because they shop there and hang out there doesnt mean that they live there.I don't think the overall racial makeup of Madison Heights has changed in 20 years, and Hazel Parks increase in the black population appears much slower than in most other communities.
Eastpointe and Roseville seem to be changing very quickly.Id venture to say those are Macomb counties versions of Oak Park and Southfield.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im changing the demographics of oak park im white man buying from black women. Im not even jewish (my GF is)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this whole thread pretty much sums up the main problem in our region

Steelworker

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not disagree Chitaku.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Park (or at least part of Oak Park) is being positively affected by the spillover from the Royal Oak boom that is occurring. There is an apartment community that I know of that once was performing really poorly due to it's less than desirable Oak Park location. In the past couple of years the property has completely turned around due to the property marketing itself as part of Ferndale and Royal Oak and now it experiences extremely high occupancy and low uncollected rent amounts.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know your talking about the one on scotia near 696. Im near coolidge not too far from ferndale but not really near the border. I do see the spillover of from ferndale between scotia to the border. House prices over there are same as ferndale if not a little more.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99 Mile road is just south of Bad Axe but my sources say that is the new 16 Mile road anyways. . . .

(Message edited by fareastsider on March 20, 2008)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7200
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback,

The Homosexual community of Ferndale is a scare from what's left of middle class residents. Some of them will move out when a homosexual couple lives right store to them.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, as a Ferndale resident, I am more than happy to have Gay neighbors-and would like more.

We had a bunch of rednecks (yes they do have them in Ferndale) that were living next door- and their property looked like West Virginia Appliance and Auto repair, complete with a pit bull, small-scale drug dealing (large scale would involve too much work), and an alcoholic husband, a house full of others in which nobody worked (except if you call drinking beer and throwing cans in your yard, work) , and a police visit about once per week. The bank foreclosed on the property, and somebody bought it and did a fantastic clean-up job.

Ghetto- sometimes, but as another poster confirmed, it had nothing to do with being African-American, or any race, and everything to do with being a responsible, productive member of a community.

So yes, I'd love to have some gay neighbors, and have them bring a nice garden, and landscaping with them, as opposed to our Confederate flag flying (commonly referred to as the "Second Place Ribbon" in the North) Nascar rejects next door-

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the individual who referred to a "homosexual invasion," you - and others, I hope - might want to check this out...

http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de /7678/

This study shows that a rise of one percentage point of same-sex couples living in an area raises median house prices by 9 per cent.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Wyandotte and moved back about a year ago after college. There are two things I noticed when I came back. Along with an in increase of African American residents (in the 90's there were literally no black people walking around) there's also been an increase in young families. And the city, namely downtown and a lot of the older sections, look better now than I ever remember them being. So no, no white flight here, I don't know about north of 8 Mile.

Terryh

Post Number: 717
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember we are all Americans traveling from one part of our country to another. We shouldnt encounter hassles in our own country. We should be able to go wherever we choose.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like our former neighbors down on Fielding, Cinderpath. Except they didn't deal drugs, and instead of a pit bull, there was a big dog that stood on top of the couch and left his slobber marks all over the window. Some realtor in town bought the house from the bank, fixed it up a bit (there's still graffiti on the siding, unfortunately) and put a for sale sign out on the mostly bald lawn today.

Meanwhile, the gay guys who bought the ugly ranch house down the street have installed a privacy fence and added tons of landscaping in the year or so they've been there. Huge improvement.

I don't have proof, but my guess is that petty crimes are on the rise in Ferndale and other places close to Detroit these days largely because of the horrible economy. Someone I know said the other day they will move to Royal Oak because of the crime here, but I suspect it has more to do with her unease with black people.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last weekend I had my first taste of young blacks hanging around on my corner at midnight. And the constant walking down the middle of the street in the summer. Redford is talking a huge dump in home values thus the ghetto-i-zation now taking place.

Terryh

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Witnessed a guy trying to steal a truck on my street. Called the police and the response time was less than a minute. I read the local paper and there is a significant amount (no statistics sorry) of crime in Ferndale committed by Detroit residents.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is kind of silly to see people walking in the middle of busy roads. It's one thing to do it on Dexter Ave, it's another thing to do it on Eureka Rd at the height of rush hour traffic...

Is there any wisdom in why a significant amount of people tend to do this? (It's not as if they are trying to cross the street...)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't make much sense to do it on Dexter either-it isn't that wide and the buses make wide turns!

Jhartmich

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do it because they want recognition; that they are the tough guys in control. I see it here daily in midtown.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of moving to the suburbs, sometimes its not the best idea for some families, even back then. Notice how this attractive housewife mentions the fact that now that they moved to the suburbs, she misses her friends as well as the P.T.A. meetings.

Maybe moving out to the burbs wasn't such a smart plan for this nuclear family......... Jane

p.s.. don't you just love the fact that shes little miss suzy homemaker while her husband leaves the house for his career..Have times ever changed....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uDk _TEM257k&feature=related

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, this thread about white flight should have taken flight days ago. Pull the plug, please.

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You are not considering that there are enclaves of black communities that have existed north of 8 mile for a long time i.e. Mount Clemens, New Haven, and Pontiac.

Speaking of which, up here walton blvd is 8 mile, North saginaw is the corridor, South saginaw is main street, and wide track is like jefferson.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We "white flighted" all the way to Minnesota after moving out of Detroit in 1989 to a rural area west of Port Huron. That rural area started being victimized by burglars and drug dealers from Detroit, so we headed to rural Minnesota. And guess what? In the town 20 miles from us they are having problems with drug dealers and other criminals that moved from...guess where...Detroit! Property values in certain areas of that town are dropping fast, compared to the "non-ghetto" areas. So where do we move to next....the arctic circle? From what I understand, that element doesn't like super cold, and Minnesota must not be cold enough, lol.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, you have a Jewish girlfriend?! And oh, yea, more to the topic, yes white flight, bla bla bla...

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people in Ferndale love trolley's.

But, they can support themselves.

Don't buy the trolley folley and vote NO next
August 2010.

A NO vote only defeats the increase and the renewal remains regardless of your vote.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I do have a wonderful Jewish girlfriend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.