Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wanted: Photos of old Post Office/Federal Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked before but didn't get a response, so I'll ask again: Does anyone have any old photos of the Post Office/Federal Building that used to stand on Fort? C'mon. Someone's gotta have some they wouldn't mind sharing.

This guy:
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/postoffice.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Buildings/postoffice-1.jpg

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 596
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is WRONG with this city. There is no reason why this should be gone.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit isn't the only city where this happened. In fact, Detroit is actually lucky in how much 19th century and early 20th century architecture remains. We may have lost a lot, but Detroit alone has more historic architecture than most major sunbelt cities combined.

In any case, the question shouldn't be what is WRONG with Detroit, but rather what is WRONG with America...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interior shots would be nice

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this...

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/44026.html

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a downfall from the old building to the new one with its cheap planters, covered with litter, ugly public area. You'd think the USPS would care more about keeping the front of the building clean. Isn't it still representative of the United States?

I'm very glad to see the old building. My Great Uncle was the Postmaster in the late 1940's. His office was in that building.

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... as much as the old building was pleasant, you have to realise that the old one would have been cramped and too small for USPS. Anyways, be glad they didn't tear the current one down in the 60's/70's for some hideous thing.

I'm thinking about the large white building not too far from the Book-Cadillac. Are we on the same page? That building isn't too bad.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Fort St. and Trumbull. Just serviceable, without much effort for a streetscape. Maybe its important and I don't see it.
Employees sit on the planters to eat, throw food papers from the canteen truck all over. Couldn't a picnic/cafe area be created in back with views of the River for employees wanting some fresh air?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your mad that its tore down I would not recommend that you NOT learn how short of time it actually stood....

(Message edited by fareastsider on March 19, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely off topic, but I couldnt help notice how similar this building looks to Union Station in St. Louis.

http://www.visitingdc.com/imag es/union-station-st-louis.jpg

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed on the postcard that in both upper corners are the Book and the Fort Shelby. Though the old post office is gone, look whats coming back.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

post office

post office2

post office3

the last pic courtesy of Wayne State University photo archives

(Message edited by warrenite84 on March 19, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, you guys.
I know it isn't easy finding photos of a building torn down in 1932 or '33.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We may have lost a lot, but Detroit alone has more historic architecture than most major sunbelt cities combined."

You would be amazed what I watched torn down to build the new Atlanta. Even worse when they were getting the city ready for the Olympics. I have seen pictures of more historical buildings standing in Detroit than Atlanta even has now.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You would be amazed what I watched torn down to build the new Atlanta.

Buildings are torn down on a pretty regular basis in functioning cities with a real demand for office and residential space. The only reason we have so many old sky scrapers is Detroit's real estate market is broken. There is very limited demand for space downtown. No demand equals no replacements for the the empty obsolete buildings downtown.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Old Post Office is in a style that looks like the "Richardson Romanesque" style that was popular in the 1880s and 1890s by architect H. H. Richardson of Boston.

It seems as this were styled after the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, a Richardson designed building.

http://content.answers.com/mai n/content/wp/en/thumb/6/64/250 px-AlleghenyCtyCourthouse-0829 04.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/pittsburg h/1/0/Y/8/courthouse2.jpg

Many buildings were designed in the same style across the country, and it seems that the Old Post Office was no different

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.