Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Wire 2: Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

English
Username: English

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the ending of the popular cable series "The Wire", I keep thinking about how Detroit would be the ideal setting for the next great drama series.

My roommate led to me thinking this. I live in Ann Arbor (which is why I've got a roommate - rent's high out here!) and grew up in Detroit. She grew up in Novi.

Her reaction to Detroit's current and enduring woes? "They should write a book. I'd buy it!" I took her thinking one step further... and visions of DVD series danced through my head. :-)

So... tell me why it can't be done?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well with that new legislation on the way to passing that would make Michigan the most film friendly state in the union it might just happen sooner than you think. I'd watch it.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's not enough material for a "great drama series" based in Detroit. However, with the jokes that abound, you might have material for a comedy if it wasn't so real and pathetic.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone should make a movie about the past 8 years in Detroit. Between the mayor, the school board, city council, the school system, police corruption, drama in the neighborhoods, and the general political climate it would be great.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5511
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There's not enough material for a "great drama series" based in Detroit"

what a thoroughly absurd comment. there is certainly more than they have in Joisey

Miguel
Username: Miguel

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure "The Wire" was based in Baltimore

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was based in Baltimore. I don't think we could do a series, but more so a movie.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think someone should make a movie about the past 8 years in Detroit. Between the mayor, the school board, city council, the school system, police corruption, drama in the neighborhoods, and the general political climate it would be great.

There are multiple threads dedicated to indignant letter writing campaigns seeking to rectify every real or perceived slight in the national media about Detroit. Yet, now we have thread advocating a T.V. series or a feature film which would chronicle the shenanigans that go on around here?
Somewhat inconsistent, no?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shhhhiiittt!, Have Mr. Davis from The Wire play Coleman Young...it's a natural.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone should make a movie on the rise and fall of Detroit (from the 50s to now).

We'll probably have some young woman or man in their 20s (in 1950) growing into her 70s talk about how nice the city once was and how things changed.

They will show scenes of the bustling streets andf walkways in Detroit from back in the 50s-70s and Detroit now. :-)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Spike Lee of Detroit because I love the way he romanticizes Brooklyn in his movies, I wish someone would do that with Detroit. I would love to see a Detroit version of Crooklyn or Do The Right Thing, wouldn’t yall?

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be good for the city.

Mayor where would the location be filmed at?

I think you would have to get a couple of locations together to make the city more dense, but it definitely would be a good idea.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all on this thread
These are all great ideas of the incredible story that is/was Detroit, I know I have very fond memories of my old Jeff/Chalmers neighborhood growing up on the lower eastside in the 60s and 70s and I look back at those days as my "Good old Days". Now fast forward to today and give this a thought, can you imagine that the Kids growing up in those neighborhoods of vacant lots and of burned out, boarded up, semi demolished homes will grow up to refer to this current point in time and life as their "Good Old Days" 20 years hence. I mean why shouldn't they… they love, laugh, play, go to school and grow up just as we did, the only difference is their physical environment is much much different and they are not to blame. Yes my friends it would make an incredible heartbreaking story.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of putting bodies in the vacant row houses, we use vacant lots.

Anyone know who's playin' Marlo?

Sheeeeeeeiit.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got the vacants - MLK and the Lodge....

Take some homeless, drop the hammer and board those suckers up.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Somewhat inconsistent, no?

And contradictory.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd probably end up like The Wire in the end with Valchek in charge. Who knows, maybe the writers based his character on Chief Hart of long ago...

Where's Freamon and McNulty to clean up the King's corruption? Can we get a wire up? Can we raise Omar from the dead to take out the King of Detroit. Or could some young hopper take out the Mayor and Beatty?

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

enough with the damn spoilers, i haven't finished the show yet.

"Shhhhiiittt!, Have Mr. Davis from The Wire play Coleman Young...it's a natural."

I understand the Feds chiming in, because that's all in the game, but the city po-lice? SHEEEIT!

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem... you already have Detroit's "Spike Lee" (shameless plug)

www.cornerboyfilms.com

Top Ten Things I Love/Hate About the Hood

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would MCS be our Hamsterdam?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Delray would. That trailer was hilarious Vantana.

Bragaboutme, I don't know. I suppose just do it in the regular neighborhoods so you can actually get a feel for them. Any aspiring film makers on here got any input they wish to add.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for a miniseries or made-for-TV movie about the text messaging scandal. They can call it ":-(".

Hornist9

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illmatic774

Shhhhiiiiittt, Sorry but the series finished over a week ago! I know watching The Wire is like enjoying a fine wine, but get to the bottom of the bottle, it's worth it...LOL.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda Sikes for Christine Beatty.

Hornist9

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall, what you got against Wanda? Halle Berry could probably do a better job as Beatty, especially if she and who ever plays KK does a nude love scene.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most movie makers don't need urban prairie scenery...when they do, they'll come to Detroit.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 764
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want the guy on the you tube of textual healing to play Kwame.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the series the poster is wanting would be EZ Streets. You should have seen it!

Rewinding in Ottawa.

English

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bot

English

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I definitely don't think it's inconsistent or contradictory to do a show like this. The Wire didn't show Baltimore as a hellhole; the show was about corruption at all levels of the city. The criminals weren't the only ones in the wrong, shady characters were everywhere. And there were no clearly demarcated heroes or villains. Everyone was a shade of gray.

I liked the Wire for its complexity. I don't think Detroit is as 2-D as one might think. Let's talk about the city government and police force, but also the media and their motivations, the business establishment, political powerbrokers from elsewhere in the metro, etc., how race and class and other factors shape this region, etc.

I think it would be a good show. People here on Michigan's campus were standing around small TV sets in offices and streaming podcasts on computers, all but passing the popcorn.

I also agree that we need chroniclers of post-riot era metro Detroit. This place is ripe for the next great American movie or novel. The problem is that we don't nurture our artists, writers, or filmmakers. So they move elsewhere.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.