Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » If you invested $1 Billion... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search for articles relating to green collar jobs, but couldn't find them, which is weird considering I know I started one. But regardless...here's some interesting information by the numbers:

8,555 -- Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on defense.

10,779 -- Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on health care.

17,687 -- Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on education.

19,795 -- Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on public transportation

http://www.ips-dc.org/reports/ 071001-jobcreation.pdf

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is very interesting. I will have to read that a little more in depth.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a follow up, but more so in the energy department:

http://blog.wired.com/wiredsci ence/2008/03/solar-company-s.h tml

Note the part where solar becomes cheaper than coal and provides up to 90% of power to the american grid

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the problem with looking for the impact of a billion spent on "green collar jobs" is that that term is still too broad and encompasses multiple fields. There are "green collar Jobs" in agriculture, manufacturing, chemical processing, etc...

You need to refine what your looking for and look at more specific NAICS or SIC designations.

Psychgrad
Username: Psychgrad

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solar does seem like a good way to go, as it does pay for itself in the long run - it just has a pretty hefty initial cost. That however, is coming down alot recently. Toledo actually has several companies that are really leading in solar technology.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.