Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 911 is a Joke! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Called 911 when a person broke into my building this past weekend and was told that no cars were available. I was also directed to go to 7 and woodward to fill out a report at 12am any one else have this problem?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they told you there were no cars available, better than the 2-4 hour wait for a "dispatch, on its way".

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were all guarding Kwame

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why people are rushing back into Detroit!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Ken Cockrel Sr about the emergency services in the CoD.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I've had to deal with the Detroit Police over the last almost 30 years, I've had this kind of experience.

Example (one of many): Someone sideswiped me on Davison Avenue just before the Jeffries Freeway on ramp. The 911 dispatcher (a City employee) asked me if I could push the car onto the on-ramp. Her reasoning: If I did so, she could dispatch State Police, who probably would come; if not, she would have to dispatch DPD, who almost certainly would not come (and in the event did not come).

If everybody with experiences with DPD posts their stories, this will become a long and interesting thread.

Ilovedetroit2
Username: Ilovedetroit2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess "to serve and protect" should be replaced with "at our convenience”

Debitdog
Username: Debitdog

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please be sure to post this incident on wikistreetwatch.com.

wikistreetwatch.com is a community-based collaborative web site for posting and viewing crime incidents just like this incident. It's easy and fast.

The goal is to inform others in your neighborhood of this incident and to provide comprehensive crime intelligence to citizens to aid in safety and awareness.

To the victim, you're probably not the first victim on your block, and you won't be the last.

Please sign on and post this incident. All postings are anonymous. Or if you prefer, print off a wikistreetwatch fax form, complete it and fax it to the phone number specified and it will be posted.

Citizens can view incidents on a Google Map, view incident frequencies by zip code over a 90-day time interval and view and print details (rap sheets by zip code) posted by others over a 90-day period.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4839
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://wikistreetwatch.com/

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That what I heard. . .

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. You might have to tell them you will take the law into your own hands, and then they will come.
My cousin had the same problem in Philly, with the police not coming, and the station only being one block away from her house. Anyway one night she phoned them when these kids where breaking people's windows on the street, and the police did the same story that no one was available. She basically told them if they did not have a police car there soon, she would take the law in her own hands and shove the kids down the sewer. She said the police showed up in a min. :-)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see, not the same, but a similar story dealing with the city's inadequacies.

I got a parking ticket in the D in like...2005...for 20 bucks...but it was like...if you send this in before a certain date its only 10. I wrote a ten dollar check and mailed it in 3 weeks before the date. With the beauty of the internet, I was able to track my check to see how it was handled, the city cashed the check 3 days after the early pay date, and then sent me a letter saying I was being charged a late fee of 20$ or something, and if I refused to pay, charges would be filed against me.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in an inner-ring suburb of Detroit (can be in Detroit in less in less than 10) and when I have to dial 911 on my physically abusive next door neighbor I can usually hear the sirens before I'm done talking to the dispatcher.

I feel that I have the best of both worlds in that I live close enough to Detroit to enjoy her on a convenient and regular basis while reaping the benefits of my tax dollars in city services.

Yup.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5731
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was with a friend at the Magic Stick, and he parked in the street (never do that there, pay for parking in the back). Every car on the street had their windows smashed out when we came out. Just then a cop was driving by. We waved him down, their tires didn't even come to complete stop as they told us to go file a report. Then they drove away without even looking to see if the perpetrators were still in the area. It did not appear they had a more important call or anything, as they drove away at normal speed.

If this officer had taken five minutes to just talk to us or pretend to care, it would have made a world of difference in perception. Their display of COMPLETE apathy made a bold statement.

Debitdog

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel you Johnlodge. I live Russell Woods, and one summer afternoon in 2006 I was in my dining room talking with my son and as I casually looked out of the living room window, I saw an old dark blue AeroStar Ford van, with it's driver side door open park suspiciously close to my son's 2004 Camaro. As we continued to talk, I noticed that the van didn't move for several minutes. It hit me like a flash: This was an auto smash-n-grab. I darted out the front door just as the thief closed his van door with my son's dvd player. We even made eye contact. This guy looked like the character JJ in the 'Good Times' series. I cursed at him as I yelled "I got your license plate, m...f...."

I only got the first three letters. I instructed my son to go to the local precinct to file a report. He came back a half hour later and said they would not take a report from him because he was not the owner of the car (I'm the owner).

My wife and I accompanied my son back to the precinct and we were all asked to sit and wait. We sat and waited for nearly two hours. Finally I jumped up and raised some hell in that place to get somebody to take a damn report, and they did, reluctantly.

I decided after that experience, we needed to have a repository for reporting crime incidents controlled by citizens, not the police.

That's why I, as a Detroiter, encourage everyone to use http://www.wikistreetwatch.com.

This will not only help our police and other crime fighters, who really do have their hands full, it will arm us as citizens with the intelligence we need to know our surroundings.

Two days after our mishap, one of our neighbors two doors away was victimized, an auto smash-n-grab.

Always file a police report, but also post the incident on http://www.wikistreetwatch.com.

It's also an important source for public officials to reference.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geet up, geet-geet-geet down,
9-1-1 is a joke in yo town.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late 911 wear late the crown

911 is a joke

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7947
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea in theory, frustrating as practiced.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I used to live a shooting happened across the street, and I called 911...

Her: "Are they dead?"

Me: "I don't know... I don't see anyone lying on the ground."

Her: "We'll get to it when there are cars."

I have also been told multiple times by officers and others that there may only be 1 or 2 cars active in a precinct (at the time)... really scary.

No wonder crime hooligans feel like they can get away with stuff.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was with a friend at the Magic Stick, and he parked in the street (never do that there, pay for parking in the back). Every car on the street had their windows smashed out when we came out. Just then a cop was driving by. We waved him down, their tires didn't even come to complete stop as they told us to go file a report. Then they drove away without even looking to see if the perpetrators were still in the area. It did not appear they had a more important call or anything, as they drove away at normal speed.

If this officer had taken five minutes to just talk to us or pretend to care, it would have made a world of difference in perception. Their display of COMPLETE apathy made a bold statement."

What the heck to you want them to do, dust your car for finger prints and send out a detective to investigate the crime scene for a crummy broken window? Yeah, the broken car window sucks and it is the type of crappy crime that steers people away from enjoying Detroit. But, come on, there are bigger fish for the DPD to fry than coddling one's ego over a broken car window.

"COMPLETE apathy...a bold statement..." - a little dramatic, aren't we?

I think this reflects more of the problem: "I have also been told multiple times by officers and others that there may only be 1 or 2 cars active in a precinct (at the time)... really scary."

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing happened to me in Flint a few years ago. Some wack job decided to walk on over to our house and stare in the front window. we closed our blinds and figured he would go away. 30 minutes later, still there. Called 911. Three hours later, 5 calls to 911, and a failed attempt to flag down a police car (while we were on the phone with the 911 dispatcher), a couple of flint's finest finally showed up.

Debitdog

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I'm curious. What's a good idea in theory but frustrating in practice?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having 911 to call and expect a timely response.
Your tax dollars not at work!!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO at this stories/references. They're funny, yet sad at the same time :-):-(

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Interesting. You might have to tell them you will take the law into your own hands, and then they will come.'

Some guy hit my parked car two years ago. The 911 operator asked me if anyone was injured. I honestly wasn't sure if the guy that hit me was, so I said "yes." The DPD responded quickly (a potentially injured party might have encouraged them to appear sooner)!

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with all of the stories in the paper about stolen copper i watched two guys roll a large spool of it into a tipped over shopping cart and wheel it away. this happened to occur at the new store zarracos that's being built in the crystal lofts on woodward. i called 911 and they said they would send someone out. never saw the police or the spool again. i know that they have more important things to do but with all the press about copper thefts you would at least a car would drive by!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, good to hear Detroit's first gourmet grocery is off to a good start.

This kind of shitty, apathetic non-response is a huge problem in Detroit, no matter what the f*&# Registeredguest is trying to say above.

But I think cops in other jurisdictions sometimes ignore the quality-of-life crimes. Last summer we had a break-in, bastards ransacked the house and stole our computer. The first officer showed up quickly, showed genuine care and even made a follow up visit and call. But when we traced the credit-card purchases to three gas station stores in Detroit, as the officer advised, so they could pull video, the detective who took over the case promised quick action. We heard nothing more, and the detective wouldn't return our calls.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that 2 times that I needed the DPD in the past 2 years it was hard to get them. Last year, just like Charlottepaul, my mom and I were in a car accident at the corner of Michigan and Livernois. The guy actually took ran away because he did not have a driver's license or insurance and he happened to be driving a friends car. We called the DPD 3 times and finally after 3 hours an officer showed up to file a report, or so we thought. He gave us a report number which we gave to the insurance company but they kept calling us to say that the report was never filed. It turned out the officer never did file the report and we had to go to a mini-station to file another report so the insurance was sure to get one.

Then just yesterday I went out shopping and came back home to see that someone tried to breaking to my house, luckily they never got in because I make sure all the windows are locked and the doors are double locked. Went to the police station to file a report and said that I probably would have to look into getting a security system. The officer said, "Don't waste your money. If someone is breaking into your house we won't send someone there for several hours after the alarm went off." This is coming straight from the police.

Nice to know even they tell us they won't come out.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all of course know that the police are not obligated to assist you even if you are being attacked, right? It was a Supreme Ct. decision.

If someone is interested, I could try and find the case... although some of the young law school students here may know it off the top of their heads.

You are better off by getting a concealed carry permit. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Mexicantown (not quite Hubbard Farms). Last year my power mysteriously went out. It looked like all of the other lights in the neighborhood were working and I thought I heard an intruder in the basement. When I called 911 (from outside) two police officers arrived within five minutes, accompanied me into the house and were very polite when it turned out that I was just being paranoid. Another time some weird guy was lying on our front lawn and the police were just a prompt in their response. In fact, I've lived all over Detroit and have never really had a problem with police response. Have any others had a positive experience with our level of police protection?

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a positive story too. Several years ago, a kid grabbed me on a bus (smart)as I was getting off in Detroit (to go to work). The bus driver didn't do a thing but I decided to file a police report. Before I left the station, the cop told me if I see the kid and a cop is around, that I could have him arrested. Well, wouldn't you know, a few days later I'm driving to work and the bus passes me, I decide to follow it to see if the kid still has the nerve to ride it (I didn't have the nerve to ride it anymore!). It was around 7am and sure enough the kid gets off! Talk about timing, but a cop happens to be walking by, I get out of my car and tell the cop what happened and he arrests the kid!!That kid was so shocked! He was held for a couple of days and when the PA office interviews me, they tell me that the kid's Mom says he's a good boy (actually he was 26 yrs old) and has never been in trouble before. I figured being held in jail for a couple of days was enough to scare this kid straight and dropped the charges, but the Detroit Police were so helpful.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have both good and bad reports. The good, I called the NW Station because I thought I may have left my door open and was hours from home. They were able to send a car over to check it for me (I didn't just being paranoid).

I have also called the NW Station to report a stolen lawnmower. I was told to call 911 even though there was no danger. I called 911 and they told me to call the police department! I finally drove to the station and filed a report.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 681
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell - If I'm reading your account correctly you might be a part of the problem that drives apathy among the police. The police arrested the perpetrator and you declined to press charges? I'm not you so I cannot know your motivation, but your decision seems like the front-end of the "I don't care anymore" attitude I've seen in some veteran DPD officers. I wouldn't surprised to learn that your officers felt that their time had been wasted via your decision... cut to JohnLodge standing in the street with a burglarized car, trying to flag a cop...

Debitdog

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygoredpop, posted 3-21-08 at 12:55am, I suggest posting this attempted burglary incident on http://www.wikistreetwatch.com as an incident of 'Burglary' or 'Vandalism.'

Individually, these incidents don't carry much clout (that's today's reality - it is what it is), but more than likely you're not the only victim, and your incident taken as part of a collective whole would probably show a pattern of burglaries and attempted burglaries in your area.

Presenting Google ariel maps and bar charts of burglary patterns in your zip code or block to law enforcement and other civic authorities is a more compelling case than a single incident. Doing this in unity with your neighbors (voters) enhances your political position and the weight of your formal police report.

In today's reality of limited crime fighting resources, the 'cry babies' get the attention. A united group of neighborhood 'cry babies' armed with their own crime stat intelligence will get priority and trump everything else.

A single individual is ... collateral damage, politically.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

911 (In Detroit at least) is a joke that no one laughs at. Carry a weapon is all I can suggest. At least in some cases it will help, and I know, in others it wont. But it sounds like the cops sure as shit ARN'T going to help you at all. And remember: we all pay extra for this service whether they come or not. BTW, what did we do before 911 came on line? Has it made any thing better? Doesn't sound like it?

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding http://www.wikistreetwatch.com /

Nice idea, too bad the site is broken. :-( Entered my zip code, click, and comes up and says URL not found. Looks like an obvious typo that should never have passed even a minimal check of the site.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just accessed the wikistreet watch site instantly. I had gotten that message before, just try again.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister-in-law and her 12 year old son lived on Parkgrove west of Gratiot. One afternoon there were people shooting at each other from the house next door and out in the street. She called the DPD and was told "we don't answer "shots fired" calls in that neighborhood.

Jrvass

Post Number: 584
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try calling again, except say:

"I just killed 2 M***** F****** cops!"

Expect quick response time from all units available.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up on the far west side in the 80s, we never worried about safety. Every third house seemed to include a DPD officer and, other than some minor teen-aged vandalism and the occasional car theft ring, it was the safest neighborhood I have ever lived in. 911 came out when called.

Mom's still in the same house and she now feels the need to have an alarm. She says it's not remotely the same as it used to be 20 years ago although it is nowhere near as bad as it was at my Grandpa's house at Michigan/Central or my Grandma's house at Joy/Southfield. But you don't see kids all over the place the way you did even ten years ago.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a city with a high crime rate, calls are prioritized. That is just the way it is.

Why do you call the cops for a simple car accident. That is a waste of resources, in fact in many cities they won't even come out unless there is an injury.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The insurance company wants a police report generally, _sj_.

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I feel that I have the best of both worlds in that I live close enough to Detroit to enjoy her on a convenient and regular basis while reaping the benefits of my tax dollars in city services." Raggedclaws

I feel the same way, I live in a close inner ring burb Downriver. One day my hub came home all freaking out because there were 3 police cars on someone's lawn down the street. I told him that at least there were 3 police cars on our neighbors lawn and that was a good thing.

I have read the posts and I cannot even fathom some of the responses you guys have heard from both dispatch and officers. Like "are they dead?"...seriously. I think Jrvass may be on to something though, good one :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass: "Try calling again, except say: 'I just killed 2 M***** F****** cops!'"

No, I think Jrvass was kidding. I'm pretty sure there are laws against making false statements to the police. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5307
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sucks for the people living in Detroit. It especially sucks for people who cannot afford to move out of the city to a place where the cops actually bother to show up.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one reason we moved out of the state, and a perfect examply of why anyone who wants to move to Detroit needs their head examined. The bad far out weighs the good, and your life is not worth the chance.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may ask for one, but it is not required since they are going to make their own determination.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can all thank the King for the kinds of inaction you get from DPD or DFD for that matter. I have two relatives who are DPD and one DFD and they are trying their damndest to do their jobs properly with what they have (or I should say, don't have). Lack of manpower, lack of 911 trained personnel, lack of proper equipment and a lot of "I don't care attitudes" to go around. 9+ million to cover up KK's lying, cheating, adultry, first class resorts to sleep with his COS...then all the Detroiter's vote him back in office or stand by their man no matter what. Detroit needs to wake up and quit letting this man shit and then rub the taxpayers noses in it everytime....AND THEY LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT!

Jrvass

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz is right. I was kidding.

But saying you have a gun gets you "special attention".

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not just a Detroit problem though. Many American cities face issues with reponse time.

Like I said, my cousin in Philly had trouble with getting police to respond, eventhough the station was a 2min walk from her house.

The major cities really need to take a look at their emergency services.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had nothing but bad experiences when dealing with DPD for incidents that happened at my house:

-Had my car stolen right off the street in front of my house. Called the police and they said to come in and file a report. How could I go in and file a report if my car is stolen and had no other way to get there at 4 am? Had to ask a neighbor to give me a ride (and be late for work) to the station when I saw them leaving for work the next morning.

-Had our house broken into last summer. They smashed out a window and ransacked the house. We called DPD the first time, not knowing if any of the burglars were still in the house, and they said a car would be dispatched. 20 minutes later nothing.

We called again and they said "a car was on its way". When I asked what the hell takes a cop 20 minutes to get somewhere she said "there were no units available" but the first one available would be sent.

Called back 10 minutes after the second call irrate and demanding a cop. 10 minutes after that call two police officers show up together in a car. The car has no computer and no radio (they had to use their handheld radios which had very poor reception in our basement).

One officer immediately started yelling at us from inside the car (yes, he actually raised his voice and yelled at us over his partner who was driving the car) for insisting that the police come. He said that he has "real crime" to take care of like "murders" and said if we want "city services" to "move to the suburbs". When I calmly asked if he has just received a call to a murder he grumbled something under his breath with a nasty scowl on his face.

Thankfully the second officer wasn't so stupid and got out of the car to search the home and help us create a police report. The second officer, in order to file a police report, had to call into 311 and do the police report over our home phone (that really made us start shaking our heads).

We made the asshole officer stay outside. When it was clear that the house was secured, and stolen and damaged items identified and the police report underway, I went back outside. The asshole officer began yelling at me again in my own back yard (in front of my two kids) saying he had it bad too because he once had the custom rims stolen off his Corvette.

When I told him I pay over $7,000 a year in taxes to the City and expect the police to show up when my own house is broken into, he said that the police aren't paid with tax dollars and I didn't pay his salary. I told him that was the stupidest, most ignorant statement I've ever heard from a city worker and told him to get the f&ck off my property immediately. I had to repeat myself before the idiot started moving out of my backyard.

An evidence technician came the next day and dusted for fingerprints and footprints. Didn't come up with much. She encouraged us to file a complaint with the police regarding the asshole officer. We did that and also filed a complaint with a Council member's office. Never heard anything back from anyone.

-Last week two guys were stripping the house across the street. They were walking out of the house with water heaters, leaded glass windows, copper plumbing, appliances, etc. in plain daylight and without a care in the world. I called the police immediately since the neighborhood newsletter I received just a few days earlier had an interview with the Deputy Commander stating to do so. The police rolled by 3 hours later (with the strippers long gone) and never bothered to stop, let alone get out, and inspect the house that had 3 newly missing windows and broken glass all over the ground and walkways. They did have the courtesy to wave at my two kids who were looking out the front window at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.