Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Urban Bean Co! « Previous Next »
Archive through March 21, 2008Chitaku30 03-21-08  12:02 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats why i deleted it

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more than willing to give it another shot. But, like a few of the posters above....if it's closed during a time when it is supposed to be open, I'm pretty much going to bail on any more attempts.

Let me clarify, I wasn't angry and throwing a temper-tantrum when I went by and it wasn't open. I just went somewhere else and bought my coffee.

Now it's just a matter if he would like to have a little bit of my hard earned cash in the future, or if he would prefer I continue to go elsewhere.

I'm all for supporting businesses that deserve it - but I'm also all for not supporting those that don't - The Shit Stop comes to mind.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11907
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got,

I know...sorry if my language was harsh...I'm just trying some damage control for my friend whose business is crucial to another I'm starting.

Plus, I need him around for caffeine fixes off-hours...and this whole thing is SO cool it's just GOTTA take off, despite his wonderful shortsightedness about honoring his hours.

He and I will be having a talk this weekend! We've got to find a creative way around his dilemma so it doesn't get worse.

Thanks for your clarification and energy to this discussion!

Shit Stop?!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 635
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he was referring to the "Pit Stop" which was a little place by the Metropolitan Building and Oslo. Had a hot dog there.. once. The other six times I tried to go during lunch they weren't open.

Josh needs to be sent this thread, Gannon... sometimes the truth in black, white (and blue in this case) will get him to be more mindful of this situation and that all his hard work could unravel on simple stuff.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 892
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the good ole DetroitYes forumers trying to help out a fledging Detroit business and downtown with some tough love.

Make sense to me.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to say, that little building screams at me to have a cool, unique sign on the top of it.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's the type of place that makes detroit... well detroit. The type of place thst people that love Detroit... love and the people that hate Detroit... hate. I love the place and the fact that it may not be open just adds to that (although it may not be a good business decision). I wouldn't be suprised if the owner would give out his cell phone # so you could call and see that he's there first. :-)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitmaybe & Gannon need to loosen up a little. Give it a chance.

Bigd
Username: Bigd

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm often doing work from home late on weeknights. I can use a good cup of coffee after normal 8-6 business hours. Went across the street to check it out a few minutes ago, and of course, it's closed. ModelD says it's open until 10 on weekdays. We have such a scarcity of places that stay open late on the weekdays, so I've been especially disappointed that I've came away emptyhanded after visiting this place three times when it was supposed to be open. Also, supposedly they deliver. Does he close the shop down to make a delivery?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I tried to go there yesterday and it was closed… I have to say, like many, I was bummed. I will defiantly try it out again—it deserves a few chances.

I do hope the new owner has an alarm system and insurance. Unoccupied storefronts with large windows in Capital Park don’t make for good situations, especially with espresso machines filled with lots of precious copper.

Good luck to the new owner—I support you.

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I stayed overnight last Saturday at the Holiday Inn Express (live in F.Hills), and attended Jesus Christ Superstar at the Fox on Sunday (great show). Sunday morning walkabout for a coffee brought us to the UBC, saw the owner (I assume) just opening up - was about 10:00 a.m.. Ended up at the Detroit Breakfast House (very good) as we didn't want to wait and rush anyone for service. I (we) will be back, and if not open, will always attempt to patronize. I love the city and make any excuse I can to wander and partake in all (great or small) Detroit. UBC - stay positive as we (my fellow, same thinking urban dwellers) will meet soon, again and again and again... That goes for (and has far) all Detroit business that I have and will patronize - past/present/and future.

Peace.
rob/bob

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they open today? I tried yesterday as well but not luck.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy seems like a good guy (my friends know him) and I give kudos to anyone who opens a business in the city, so i'm pulling for him. The only thing is sometimes people get into a new business venture and try to be over the top(promising delivery,open 24hrs, etc)when they don't yet have the recourses to achieve these goals. That is what killed the Karmic Cafe.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by yesterday and they were open and had a few customers sitting down.

The nice thing about it is that it's not in the heart of the "ghettoism" of Capital Park. It's kind of across the street to the north so hopefully he won't get tons of panhandlers causing problems. Really cool building. Looks like something out of 1975 California.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 804
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went in there yesterday (Sat.) and had a good cappuccino and there was a steady stream of customers. Josh is a really nice dude - giving it his all for this thing.

Great atmosphere - chatted with the cops for a while there too.

Mudmarker
Username: Mudmarker

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i assure you this place will not go out of business. It was there for years with zero customers.

It might take a while to work out the kinks, but come on, who else is sick of looking at lame starbucks everywhere? He doesnt have the pre planned franchise behind him and is figuring it out as he goes. It is really a monumental task for one guy.

Lets ive him some time and keep checking in

Everything is going to be alright.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picked up some coffee there today at 9am. Nice place to stop in for a second, great design on the building.

Looked at it at 1pm and there were a good 8 folks in the place. Its not so big so its good to see.

I'm glad he's got it open and I'm sure the kinks will be worked out soon. Lets support it.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in this morning (Wednesday), hung out for a little on the delightful upper deck, and noticed on leaving that a woman was working the counter--he has an employee! Definitely a great spot, and you can just smell the potential of the whole triangle.

(Message edited by texorama on March 26, 2008)

(Message edited by texorama on March 26, 2008)

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cool, very cool.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me for not taking the time to read everyone's posts ont this topic... I live at Trolley, and my girlfriend and I walk around all the time... we were coming back from massages at Woodhouse a few days ago and noticed that the space I had always looked at and thought what a great coffee place it would be, finally had become a coffee shop! And... for my end, I don't care at all about whether they end up having the full starbucks-esque menu. Just as long as they have a few coffee drinks, tea, and a few cold drinks, I'm good. I think they did an absolutely awesome job on the inside, and the owner assured me they would be going 24 hours as soon as possible. I'm excited that this is here. I'd rather see a few independent places open up than Starbucks anyway...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel kind of bad for some of these places. Many are start-ups with little experience (as said above, they don't have chain branding and techniques to help them out either). That's fine right now, but assuming they work through that, succeed, and finally turn a profit; then what's going to happen when chains do move in right down the street? I know this is an old issue everywhere, but I think it's one that is going to really hit Detroit small business owners in the future.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can definitely win by not charging starbucks prices... and I don't think the kales kids will fall to pieces if their local coffee shop doesn't serve frappaccinos....

Gannon

Post Number: 11995
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM...he's getting a blender, or HAS one and is getting it fixed. (can't remember) The entire right side of his menu is blended drinks!

Nah, it is just going to get cooler and cooler...Josh is just the cat to make this thing work, he can scrap with the best of 'em...and I ain't talking metal recovery.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I don't remember where I saw it but there are studies that show that indie coffeeshops actually thrive being next to or across the street from Starbucks, by doing things like having local variety or locally-themed eats, being open later, offering giveaways and discounts to those who bring their Starbucks cups in... or trading a Starbucks mug for their shop's mug and getting a few free coffees out of the deal.

It can be a happy co-existence, really.

Had the pleasure of stopping in the other day, seems like a good guy and loved, absolutely loved, the decor. Totally great place for creative inspiration.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen that too, DigitalV... A nearby Starbucks helps out neighboring businesses, even other coffee shops. btw, I'm one of those people who will cross the street to buy the coffee that DOESN'T have a green mermaid on it.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rollerbladed in to see my pal sarah working the reg. Sweet place except i dont drink coffee

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by grabbed a hot cocoa and had a good chat with sarah myself. I will do my best to support this venture even though I myself am not a coffee drinker.

Gannon

Post Number: 12001
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, y'all should try it again.

Caffeine is the last legal drug, unfettered by excessive guilt taxation.

Consumed in moderation, it really is a gift from the Maker.

Nobody knows who was the first to figure out that these horrible, tough beans had to be roasted...then ground...then soaked in water...before the true beauty of it's chemistry could be fully known.

So, like fire and the wheel and all that...I figure it's GOT to be some heavenly gift.

You should drink at least a shot of espresso four or more times a week.

Support the last legal drug...and your local pushers. Heh

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno gannon for chuck and I baseball seems to be our legal drug with sandlot and grown ass baseball, everything else seems to take a back seat. I will probably have to at least try expresso once I am becoming a pusher myself at Zaccaro's

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've seen that too, DigitalV... A nearby Starbucks helps out neighboring businesses, even other coffee shops. btw, I'm one of those people who will cross the street to buy the coffee that DOESN'T have a green mermaid on it."

^^^Chains bring foot traffic smaller businesses can attract. As backwards as it seems, competition helps many businesses succeed, even larger chains. People feel better spending money when they have something to compare it to.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a true espresso addict. I get a restretto, a short shot, which is stronger, more concentrated, for that extra energy boost. Did you know that espresso actually has less caffeine than regular drip coffee. Its the strong flavor that provides the energy. I can't wait to try this place.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean that one shot of espresso has less caffeine than a 12oz cup of drip coffee.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ lol

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The longer the beans are exposed to water, the more caffeine. A shot of espresso is exposed to water for approx 20 seconds.

Gannon

Post Number: 12014
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shot of espresso should NEVER be exposed to water...I always thought it was made after water turned to steam!

Used to puzzle over that whole dilemma, until this past year's synaptic research showed a curious caffeine-shaped receptor in ALL of our nervous systems that latches onto any caffeine molecule it sees, and hangs onto it for 6 to 8 hours!

We don't need much...and espresso is just about the right vehicle for delivering THAT good drug as well as some other choice anti-oxidants.

We won't go into how that same research revealed a THC-shaped receptor...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that's the Josh you were talking about. Known him for a long time. Used to party like a rockstar at his loft and afterhours joint 10 years ago.

Texorama

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true that espresso is lower in caffeine--also because roasting lowers the caffeine level. If you really want a case of the shakes, plain old light roast is the way to go.

Gannon

Post Number: 12015
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you equate a symptom of abuse with the welcome useful nature of moderate USE?

I don't get shakes with my espresso use, until it cycles to three or four per day...THEN I fast off it until my body resets, and begin the cycle again.

Always pondering why folks are so-o quick to dismiss something GOOD just because mere humans tend to abuse it! Learn some moderation...that should be our mantra.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The affects of pushers different drugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =sHzdsFiBbFc

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just seems like sometimes in this city people open a specific type of business based solely on lack of competition, without having enough experience in that field or industry, or worse, no business experience. This doesn't seem to be the case here though, so hopefully things work out. I usually brew at home, but I'll have to check it out when I get a chance this week. Do they sell self grind beans?

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to UBC yesterday around 5:00 pm and there were 5 or 6 patrons upstairs. Josh made me a very good cappuccino, and I used the WiFi for a few minutes and enjoyed the great view of Capitol Park through the large windows.

My only suggestion would be to turn on the interior pendant and track lighting sooner, or preferably leave some of them on whenever open, due to the following:
1) it looked closed from the outside when driving by due to no interior lights, despite Open signs on the doors (which it's not uncommon to see left on a closed business)
2) lights glowing through the windows would also make it look more inviting from the outside
3) interior light always does a lot to improve the ambience, especially on grey days such as yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't remember what products such as whole beans or ground coffee were for sale, due to having been in a bit of a hurry.

I look forward to returning to UBC whenever I'm in town, and am sure its clientele will continue to grow.

Texorama

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we're making suggestions, I'd lose the DJ booth. The charm of the place is being in there, and, specifically, sitting on the second floor. But if there were five or six people, it was full. I'd try to squeeze out every seat I could.

Gannon

Post Number: 12027
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya, Sean, welcome.

The beans are sourced from a local roaster, Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Company.

I bought a half-pound of their organic Hydro Espresso roast and am very impressed.

The stuff made through his machine stomps my little Krups Il Primo one-off, though!

He didn't open it because of a lack of competition, he did it because of his vision for that corner.

That dream has become real over five years of some difficult times. I haven't known Josh from his earlier years, and don't have that lingering history, but get the feeling he's growing into his skin and doing good things now.

I will stand on that observation and support him.

He's my new whole bean source, along with those Leelanau-sourced organics from Hirt's...the Water-Bearer's blend rocks, too.

Unfortunately, I've seen empty bins for too long at Rafal's...

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the story with that parking garage? I've heard stories of unusual transactions taking place there.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by this afternoon for a short mocha.
Josh made it perfect.

He has paid a lot of attention to detail with his shop.
He definitely has a vision for the space.
A nice little splash of Eames here and there.
Nice ironwork.
I will go back for sure.

Gannon

Post Number: 12237
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few Saturdays ago, I was walking around downtown with my camera and a little free time...when I got a call from a friend taking his boys and their high school friends from Midland down to the Palace for a Pistons game.

Turned out they got the start time for the game wrong, and had three hours of time downstate that they would usually not have...and since one of the boys had never even SEEN a foreign country they decided to drive down to the big city they had all heard about but had not yet seen.

By the time they got downtown, I met them at the Urban Bean Company...and they ducked in for some treats before our impromptu tour.

One of the boys got a cup of coffee...don't yet know what he got...but from his replies since, he was quite impressed by Josh's setup, bean choice, and machine.

Poor kid is now spoiled, and can't get his fix without driving a couple hours...only thing he can mumble is "Starbucks Sucks"!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally made it in there on Tuesday. I got a dark chocolate espresso and a metro times and went for a nice walk. A little bit expensive, but worth it.

I also went to Starbucks in MGM Tuesday. We had a free giftcard they randomly sent us in the mail. It was horrible. No flavor compared to Great Lakes Coffee. Everyone needs to give this place another shot.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The stuff made through his machine stomps my little Krups Il Primo one-off, though!

Krups pump machines have three stages: working (first two days), wheezing (next six months, usually when you've started grinding the coffee finer), and dead (about 13 months).

Get a Saeco Aroma. That's about the cheapest pump machine that actually works. Indestructible - and they've been making the same one for about 25 years (the model name has changed; same sheet-metal construction and Italian industrial engineering). People (who usually can't make coffee well anyway) like to bitch about pressure-regulated filter carriers, but how else are you going to get a good head of crema from questionable coffee when you stumble into your house after a few too many...? It's one thing to be wasted; it's another to burn espresso and get digestive upset.

Urban Bean Col is fun. Been there and enjoy it a lot.

(Message edited by huggybear on April 24, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12555
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggy,

Good to hear from one who knows their coffee.

I've only used distilled water in my Il Primo, and it has been faithful for well over ten years...still a decent crema most of the time, and never burnt...as long as I remove the cup before the steam sound changes!

I'll take your recommendation on the pump device, though, too many of my coffeesnob friends use 'em...and look at me sideways when they come over.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 12556
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Josh had a cool party for his birthday last night...if I didn't have to drive a friend to the airport, I would've stayed all night.

Early on, it was already looking like a who's who of Metro Detroit music, poetry, and art...Judy Adams, John Sinclair, Robert Stanzler...and I'm sure it only got better after I left. (ahem)

Big fun...great to have this place rocking and pouring.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.