Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Miketoronto's Windsor Rapid Bus including improved Tunnel Bus route. Check it out « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my idea for a Windsor Rapid bus network, including a Tunnel Bus that connects more Detroit destinations with Windsor. Click on the link to see the map, and let me know what you think. What you you add, etc.
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms? hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=10225 1676755671311847.000448f2eddf8 2241b83d&z=10

Note: Buses would only stop where the flag logos and eyedrops are located, along the rapid bus and Tunnel Bus routes.

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 21, 2008)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you running all the way out to the ferry terminals in Kingsville and Leamington? If you're going that far, why not go out to Point Pelee National Park? I'd bet the counts from Michigan would be greater for that than for the ferries, and you'd only add a few more miles (kilometers). I'd take it. It's always bugged me that they emphasize the fragility of the area but don't provide public transit. There used to be a parking lot at the entrance so you could bike in, but no more.

In the Windsor-Detroit direction, I think some of the biggest commuter numbers are hospital employees. Maybe hit major hospitals like Botsford in Farmington and Beaumont in Royal Oak (cue obnoxious heart attack music). You've already got Wayne State/DMC.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is there a marker in the middle of a residential subdivision in Bloomfield?

Miketoronto

Post Number: 823
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That happened by accident. And it won't come out yet. Trying to get that off :-)

Redhead
Username: Redhead

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy you've included Point Pelee and the Wayne State Cultural area of Woodward, which are the 2 most important destinations I'd want to go to.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the downtown transfer to the green line?

How do the local bus systems feed into the rapid system?

Did you look at stuff like location of bike paths/routes or having bike racks on the buses?

How about how to connect into the existing bus network? Did you look at that?

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on March 21, 2008)

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto, is there a movement/support for rapid bus in the Windsor Area?

Also, it would be cool to live in Midtown, and be able to take convenient public transportation all the way to Lake Erie in Canada!

Miketoronto

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor sadly has a very bad public transit improvement plan.

Their plan is basically to improve transit with some limited stop bus service. However they have no plan to actually try and capture "choice" riders, or really make transit a part of the city culture. Instead they are just going to increase service to attract more "captive" riders, and people who don't have a choice.

I think that is wrong. You have to serve the captives yes. But at the same time, you should be trying to build a transit network that attracts everyone.

I think my idea would actually work at attracting some choice riders. As well as giving captives better service.

Windsor does not think about transit much :-) No big plans.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10150
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Miketoronto, we do think about transit a lot but you see, Toronto gets the majority of funding for their transit while smaller cities suffer.
How's that $1 billion, 1 km extension for the University going? We can't even get a third border crossing. Oh yeah, didn't McGuinty, the vote buyer, just spend more on double decker busses for the GTA?

Miketoronto

Post Number: 838
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto does not get as much money as you think. Our transit services are starved for funding. Infact some would say the smaller cities are doing just fine.

Transit Windsor needs a much better plan. Other small Ontario cities like Waterloo Region, London, and Kingston are doing great things to improve transit service and ridership. Windsor has done none.

Sometimes it is not funding, but actually will and thinking outside of the box.

Transit Windsor could have been very bold in their transit business plan, like Waterloo Region was. But they choose not to.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10154
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K-W isn't all that great and has already received large funding from Ontario. They are now getting or about to get GO Transit as well. And if you think a billion dollars plus isn't a large amount of money then bitch all you like but you won't get mcuh sympathy from most.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.