Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Chalmers -Jefferson Memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody grow up in the Jeff-Chalmers area? Care to share any memories: the Cinderella and Lakewood theatres, Vanity Ballroom, Cunningham's, Sutton's, Kinsel's, Kresge, Sanders, Ives Elementary, St. Ambrose, etc.?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay another nostalgia thread!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalmers and Warren here, the only thing I can remember was around there.

I remember when the In and Out had no bullet proof glass, and they sold fresh fruit and veggies. This was like 1985 or so.

Good times.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on 247 Chalmers '67-'83, Lakewood Park, Cunningham's, Kresge, Sanders, Guyton Elem, St Martins etc, those days framed who I became in life and were awesome memories of the real Detroit. If you want to read a good thread on the Jeff/Chalmers area read "Paradise Lost Lakeside Trailer Court" It was a wonderful place to grow up, I have swam and ice skated every canal from Alter road to the Edison Plant, Its a wonder I survived.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128, my father in law went to Ives school from 1946-1951. Do you know of anywone named Owens or Whitehouse who lived in that area?

My father in law and his brother have told me about growing up in that area, delivering Detroit News papers from the station in Grosse Point near kercheval.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou, You need to notify Goat A.S.A.P. NOT!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex grew up in the Mack-Chalmers area. She lived on Newport about a half block south of Mack. I'm not certain which elementary school she went to but I do know that she went to Jackson Jr. High and graduated Southeastern Jan. '59. We met at Messiah Lutheran Church on Kercheval a block west of Chalmers...both of us grew up in that church...were married there Jan. '63. A day that shall live in infamy.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free light bulbs from Detroit Edison right on the corner. On the swings and flying kites at Lenox? Park

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite, no I didn't know any families by those names. I only went to Ives for kindergarten, circa 1955. St. Ambrose, where I went for grades 1-12, didn't have a kindergarten back then. My best buddy lived on Manistique, just a couple of doors from Ives. We spent many a summer day playing baseball on the playground. We got in trouble a few times, since Ambrose got out for the summer in early June, while the DPS was in session until mid-June. The Ives principal would come outside and yell at us because our playing baseball was "distracting" the Ives kids still in school. I also remember there was a hand-lettered sign on the back door at Ives that said "Every girl and lad may come inside when the weather is bad."

Eastside_cat, that was the trailer park at the foot of Alter Road, next to the Marine Hospital? Have you ever read "Detroit Noir", a collection of short stories? One of them, called "Our Eyes Couldn't Stop Opening" by Megan Abbott, a Grosse Pointe native, is set partially in that trailer park. It takes place in the 1980's, though, so the park is pretty much a ruin by that time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.