Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Easter Question for Detroit Catholics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4665
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the baby Jesus, of the Madonna of Our Lady Queen of Heaven, holding?

Our Lady Queen of Heaven Detroit

More Our Lady Queen of Heaven here.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 714
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baby Jesus is holding... Baby Jesus.. it's recursive miracles at work!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His dolly! ;^)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is holding an orb and is being represented as Christ the King. The crown, orb and scepter (not shown) are ancient symbols of kings.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4666
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks MikeG.

The pigeon spikes on his crown seem to presage a crown of thorns.

Any idea what is in her right hand?

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus is holding a globe of the world (orb), and his right hand is raised in blessing over the world.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that I usually see the orb represented as a crown with a cross on top

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party. And I like to party, too.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though the church in question is Our Lady Queen of Heaven, the statue is of "Our Lady of the Sideshow". The child she is holding is an attraction called a "One and a Half"...conjoined twins with one member malformed and attatched to the other.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4669
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is an orb the child is holding, it is not spherical. I puzzled about this because, at first glimpse, it appears to be head shaped. Could it be that artist made it deliberately ambiguous, that the earth is under the divine protection of the child?

I find this stone carving very well done, the faces of of the figures are sublime and somewhat distant -- very engaging and a cut better than many standard madonna and childs's.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any idea what is in her right hand?

I totally missed seeing that. She is holding his scepter (regal staff).

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who went to Catholic School in the 70's and were influenced by hippy/black spiritual music:

"He's got the whole world in his hands
He's got the whole wide world in his hands
He's got the whole world in his hands
He's got the whole world in his hands"

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It kinda sucked when the Second Vatican Council replaced those cool Gregorian Chants with that "Hootenanny" drivel.Nothing quite as weird as old white folks trying to emulate a store front church.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never considered it to be drivel, but it was kind of wierd to have a whole section of the church full of these dirty hippies dancing around.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting that you post the picture of the infant Jesus holding an orb.

One of the traditional papal messages given at Easter and Christmas is entitled "Urbi et Orbi"--To the City and to the World.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_fat her/benedict_xvi/messages/urbi /documents/hf_ben-xvi_mes_2008 0323_urbi-easter_en.html

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like baby jesus is holding a baby doll.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Detroitplanner post #1583, I was just going to mention that...

the answer was obvious if you just thought about it...

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 24, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

orb - A globe surmounted by a cross, used as a symbol of monarchial power and justice.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. It's not a dolly.

Wouldn't the parish priest there know? In my church, the alter area is made up of many tiles. One of the tiles is a depiction of the devil. The ministers always step on that tile when going to or from the alter.

You learn a lot by asking questions of the clergy and staff. When I had questions about our church's columbarium and saw the map they passed out, I scanned and made a more informative and cleaner version with Photoshop. The secretary was so pleased that she arranged a private tour of the 10-story bell tower for me with the sexton.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Mike G answered it. Thanks!

From Dictionary.com: a globe bearing a cross; the mound or emblem of sovereignty, esp. as part of the regalia of England.

... of course bringing the Brits into the equation would then shift it over to the Episcopaleans....

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back to the drivel songs. I can recall being a youngster and my class was 'in charge' of putting on the mass for the day. It was around christmas and the nun said we were to sing 'Joy to the World'. I got the whole class up from their seats clapping to the "Jerimiah was a Bullfrog" song that the chimps used to ride their mini bikes to at the zoo. At first the nun was not pleased until she saw how much fun the kids were having. She did not realize that the song was something totally different to 8 year olds than it was to her.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.