Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DEMF 2008 » DEMF 2008?(Detroit electronic music festival) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been to it, is it worth going to? I'm not really into techno, but people from europe come all the way here for it, so it must be kinda good. I checked out the DEMF website and see not as many people attend, but it also costs money now, maybe that's why.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its what you make of it. If you want to dance and feel free then its great. If you want to people watch then you may be looking at a lot of teenagers, as the scene seems to be a lot younger. There is a wide range of music played so pick a performer and stage and enjoy.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gone twice and enjoyed myself even though my music of choice is country. It forces my brain to perceive music in a different way, and it's a good introduction to something new. I remember one time I was watching a DJ and thinking that I really wasn't enjoying it, so I walked down below to get some food. I then sat down with my sandwich directly below where the DJ was doing his thing, and after a while it struck me that he was making some pretty amazing sounds. The key was to let the sounds enter my mind sideways, if you will, rather than straight on. There are a lot of young people, but I didn't feel out of place--it's a low-key, friendly crowd.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_guy, get of your midland/saginaw azz and support the city and quit being a trainspotter. Come down for the fest.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cover has definitely kept the crowd away. Lot's of teenagers from I-have-no- idea-where with flashing pacifiers, probably never been to Detroit before, probably told not to go by their parents.

The music can be great, if you're willing to open your mind. I prefer the old stallwart DJs playing records rather than some kid playing a computer. And look for the black women dancing, often by themselves... a good tip that a more dance friendly (and less frenetic) set is going down, especially if there is a plastic cup with several sticks of incense sticking out of it right in front of the DJ stand.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't really into techno either until I started going to DEMF. This will be my fourth year attending, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. It makes for pretty expensive people-watching if that's the only reason you're going, but if you're at all interested in the music, it's well worth the cost. I usually leave the festival to buy food and drinks--you can come and go as much as you want as long as you keep your armband on--and that saves me some money. Also, you can try smoking clove cigarettes to offset the cost--for some reason, people think they have weed in them, and offer obscene amounts of money for one or two hits.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always people watch directly behind Heart Plaza on the Riverwalk for free.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the producers of the event seem to be reaching out to a broader (read: pop) audience this year with acts like benny benassi and moby. i'm excited, tho: girl talk will be amazing. . .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.