Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit area arenas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am attempting to assist a friend who is looking for photographs of some older arenas from the Detroit area.

Specifically, the Arena Gardens, the Motor City Arena, and the Fairview Gardens in Detroit and the Chesterfield Arena in East Detroit.

Would anyone have any advise or know someone who might have photographs of the arenas??

Thanks,

jim

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you tried to do a google image search?

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had not tried it yet, but after using the search, nothing showed up.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only photo I've found of the old Arena Gardens is in a book written by Lindy Lindell called "Metro Detroit Boxing" which is a paperback in a series of Michigan History and available at most bookstores you can go to.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are looking for digital, it never hurts to start with the "Virtual Motor City" collection: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?page=index;c=vmc

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VMC has the same picture I referenced above.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have to go old school and hit up the microfiche...

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiosity what are the photos for?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were mostly wrestling joints, some were turned into roller rinks. You can find photos of all in the newspaper archives. You can see the Arena Gardens online by looking at the archived Detroit News photos in the Walter Reuther Library's collection, at

Go to http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu and click on "photojournalism."

They only have a portion of the complete collection online, and they rarely credit them properly.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in East Detroit was the Chesterfield area located?

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, this is the same picture I mentioned twice. Arena Gardens was not "mostly a wrestling joint". Wrestling back in the 1930's was as big as boxing so most of these venues featured both boxing and wrestling. Arena Gardens also featured the dancing competitions as well.

Also not much on microfilm as I've looked at over 1,500 days of papers from the Detroit News from 1930 - 1934.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's more in the negatives, because it includes unpublished photos as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.