Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hudson's downtown 'Pantry Shop' pix « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a memory lane diversion from today's Other Topic, here are images from a 20-page brochure from 1965 that I picked up for four bits at an estate sale.

A lot sure has changed in 4 decades . . . and not just the downtown skyline. Check out the purse, the gloves, the clerk dressed like a nurse . . .
x

z
Other images of "our lavish larder" show wine racks, frozen food coolers, fresh baked goods and a cheese selection to rival R.L. Hirt's.

Who else gets hungry thinking about this enticing, aromatic first-floor precursor of Trader Joe's, Papa Joe's, Whole Foods, Westborn Market, Holiday Market, Nino Savaggio's and other modern counterparts?
cover

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Realitycheck,

In the 60's when I was little we used to go downtown every Saturday with my Grandmother
for a day of shopping, lunch, and more shopping. I was always impressed when we ate lunch on the mezzanine and my grandmother would pay with her Hudson's charge. Back then Hudson's would close at 5:45 and we would make way for the pantry right before closing time to buy lunch
meat and thin sliced Pepperidge Farm bread and have sandwiches in the evening. My mother prefered old fashioned loaf and it always tasted good to me. As for the Pepperidge Farm bread I remember never seeing bread sliced so thin before. I don't remember Grandmother wearing gloves but she was always dressed up. She also ran one of the elevators when she worked there, I'm not sure when but it was before I was born. And while we're at it what about Downtown Detroit Days and Hudson's Good Old Fashioned Days. I think at DDD days they had mystery shoppers that would walk up to somebody and give you a gift of some kind. During Hudson's Good Old Fashioned Days they would have I guess various store departments set up around the building outside with bargains. I remember a cousin and myself buying lots of penny candy there. Downtown Hudson's was true shopping not to mention Woodward itself. Always busy with shoppers and traffic.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm Good Old Fashioned Days!

Vernors/Sanders ice cream was handed out one year! And blow-out parties when the Giant Flag was unfurled.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep 'em coming, Forum-ers . . . This sure beats wallowing in we-know-what.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall going there, but the lady in the 2'nd picture checking out the candy display is lookin' MIGHTY FINE!

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try not to imagine what she must look like now. :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a June 1965 newspaper advertisement for the Hudson Downtown Detroit Store's "Good Old Summertime" event.

Good Old Summertime

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Try not to imagine what she must look like now."

The one in the first picture, of course!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.