Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Media covers Blogosphere covinrg Media « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080325/OPINI ON03/803250425/1361

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to wonder how much reporters read what we write on here. And if any of us who post are reporters?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At DetroitYES!, the online gathering place for people who care enough about the city to waste their employers' time discussing it"

HAHAHAHA, awesome

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare they compare this forum with the Detroit News'.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8006
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And some wonder how the NYT reporters found their way to Checker Bar.

It was posted here, that some were meeting there to watch Worthy's announcement.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they didn't compare this forum to the Free Press forum.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Steelers stating that his employers system would not let him access a link on DetroitYES. If you look at the sheer amount of cutting/pasting and linking he does during the day, than It's a wonder he gets anything done at work.
Me, I'm laid off again. So I'm online.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work...very hard...to have 5 minutes every hour to read an post...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deputy Editorial Page Editor of the Freep came here to correct me last week about how/where the Freep learned that their pro-Kilpatrick letter writer was Christine Beatty's mother - so I know that they read this forum.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the Checker Bar was a heavy collection of media folks. The New York Times guy, Nick Somebody is from Kalamazoo and UofM and mainly covers the Car business. He said he heard (from DetroitYes?) that the Checker was going to be the downtown gathering place.

Other folks included, Heidi Osgood from WDET and Karen Dinkins from WWJ (who happened to leave her tape recorder on a bar stool when she left), a DetNews videographer and still shooter, then there was some guy from the Freep (I think) named Charlie who drives an old Checker Marathon.

It was a festive group (morning beers were consumed) and the media folks out numbered the patrons.

A couple of the reporters asked me about DetroitYes and seemed to be "in the know" about Lowell's little community. The DetNews videoguy had a more than passing knowledge, so I'd assume he's around here somewhere.

I tried to make sure that none of my quotes were usable in a family newspaper. Not profane, just pointed and a tad off-color.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is like holding a mirror to a mirror. The blogosphere is now covering the media covering the blogosphere," said Fishtoes2000 on the DetroitYES forums.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4206
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place is lousy with Free Press and News people.

Channel 4 was at the Anchor yesterday, but of course Channel 4 folks are always in the Anchor.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of sounding like the guy with the neckbeard...

What I find funny is that they call this a blog in the headline... this is NOT a blog, and didn't reference a true blog in the entire piece.

It's a forum or discussion board. But DYes is not a blog.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3909
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie is from the News, not the Freep.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been quoted! Now I know I'll get canned!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision makes a good point. This site is not a blog.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Blog' has evolved into the generic term to cover all forms of user generated online discussion. I have given up trying to correct it as otherwise.

Forums / message boards are an 'ancient' medium, predating the html web. Blogs don't really get rolling until around 2000. The still existent Usenet boards were roaring along just fine in the text based internet for a few years prior to April 23, 1993.

When asked to describe a forum, I describe it in blog terms. I call them 'multiblogs'. Any registered member who starts a thread is the blogger of the moment. The main difference between this and a personal blog is that the blog / thread starter has no control over the responses of others, other than being assured they won't be name-called. But that doesn't stop their positions from being sliced and diced.

That said welcome to the many new members that we notice have signed up today.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11958
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always say community blog...but I'm all about communal unity, loving your neighbor, and all that stuff.

Forum is just...so...official, so damn Roman. For some reason, I would expect automatons of ancient Roman personalities coming to life...telling us about their past. But that would be more Ray1936's area of expertise, new Vegas!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a BBS

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5780
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liar, where's TradeWars and B.R.E. then?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case the folks from the papers read this forum, here's a little tip to the Freep from Language Geek Ravine: The term "a slew of" (as in "lots of" or "many") looks stoopid in print.
In an internet forum, where our language is more casual? Sure, why not. In a newspaper? Nope.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Global Wars on here somewhere as well?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole story makes me mad. Why is the News reading the forum yet that moron of a mayor is not.

Wait, maybe he does? Sorry Kilpatrick, I didn't mean to call you a moron. Please don't have my family wiped out like you did to Strawberry.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I wonder if a lot of new forumers joining today is a good thing. This place could easily turn into the freep boards. Itll be interesting to watch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.