Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Your opinion on the following bus route cut ideas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am doing my project here on the Woodward Rapid bus, and I have a question for you guys. Let me know what you think of the following ideas.
Consider these following route changes in relation to there being a high quality rapid bus service on Woodward Ave. The following routes would be cut to feed into the rapid bus instead of operating as they do now right into downtown.

----

16 DEXTER
Would be cut back to Grand Blvd and Woodward Ave to feed into the Woodward rapid bus. Service south of Grand Blvd along Cass Ave would be cut. Riders could walk to Woodward Ave which is a 5 min walk or less to the east, and access more frequent transit service)

31 MACK
Service would end at Woodward and Mack, instead of the current routing which continues south on Woodward Ave into downtown Detroit. Passengers would transfer at Woodward Ave to rapid bus service into Downtown Detroit. The time saved by the buses not having to continue into downtown,would be used to provide more high frequency service on Mack.

47 MLK
Service would end at Woodward and Mack, instead of the current routing which continues south on Woodward Ave into downtown Detroit. Passengers would transfer at Woodward Ave to rapid bus service into Downtown Detroit. The time saved by the buses not having to continue into downtown, would be used to provide more high frequency service on MLK.

SMART ROUTES
495 JOHN R
Would end at Woodward and Manchester, instead of the current route which continues into downtown Detroit. Passengers would transfer at Woodward and Manchester onto Rapid buses. The time saved from this route cut back, could be used to provide more service on the 495.

450 WOODWARD -PONTIAC
Route would end its run at the Royal Oak Transit Center, and not continue into downtown Detroit. Passengers would transfer to rapid buses at the Royal Oak Transit Center. Selected trips would continue from Royal Oak to Downtown Detroit, via the rapid bus route.

460 WOODWARD SOMMERSET
Route would end its route at the Royal Oak Transit Center, and not continue into downtown Detroit. Passengers would transfer to rapid buses at the Royal Oak Transit Center. Selected trips would continue from Royal Oak to Downtown Detroit, via the rapid bus route.

The following routes only offer a hand full of trips a day. These routes would continue to operate as is.

Both routes would be cut back to 8 Mile and Woodward. Passengers would transfer to rapid buses to continue into downtown Detroit.

--

Anyway lets hear your ideas :-)

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 25, 2008)

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 25, 2008)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I didn't start riding public transit every day until moving to Charlotte, but when Charlotte's light rail came on line, they got rid of one route and added 14 routes as the rail needs as much transit feeding it as possible: http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/About+Us/PR+11.14.07+Bus+Rail.htm

They seem to do a good job continually updating the system down here--they have no problems with making a few changes to some of the routes (changes for FEB 2008): http://www.charmeck.org/NR/exe res/87B00D9E-5A17-4E5E-9ABC-13 4136A60725.htm

(Message edited by charlottepaul on March 25, 2008)

(Message edited by charlottepaul on March 25, 2008)

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's transit continues to be a joke. Unless the entire SE Michigan region develops a mass transit system, this kind of discussion is null.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

I think the the first three are great ideas, especially when 2 routes on either side of the city can be combined into one that operates on both the east and west.

I think that SMART buses should just operate like the other express buses once they enter the city of Detroit -- no transfers and extra frequencies.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Routes 445,465,475 seem to have GREAT ridership. These "White Flights" (as my friend calls them who rides them everyday from Birmingham to the RenCen) should be expanded. The stop at WSU always has a line up waiting to ride the express bus.

I use it as much as possible to get me out of Detroit because I never stop anywhere on Woodward in Detroit north or Warren. My only wish is that they had more of these throughout the day. I believe you would have more suburbanites taking the bus to downtown work locations if it went directly from the suburbs to WSU / downtown.

I e-mailed Smart about adding more times a few months ago and the lady who responded stated that they are considering it, adding that the express routes have one of the highest ridership percentages in the entire Smart fleet.

Isiostar
Username: Isiostar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward ddot already , crowed and slow. Leave smart alone, there doing an excellant job.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.