Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Website for Detroit business « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jaydetroit
Username: Jaydetroit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please understand I am not affiliated with this site, but ran across it the other day, and while there isn't alot of activity on it yet I still find it a worthwhile blog.

http://blog.detroitoffice.org/

It encourages current business owners and employees in the Detroit area to post their reviews (good and bad) of their experiences here. I would luv to see the ball rolling on this, and hopefully some suburban business will actually take notice and consider coming down here.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you guys think of this quote from the blog's March 8th archives?

3/14/2008 9:34 AM Tess wrote:
'I worked in Southfield for 20 years and loved the parking situation as compared with here. Downtown parking is horrible. The meter man is constantly ticketing and the cheapest parking on Cobo roof is a pain when events are at that location. I just got a ticket for "feeding the meter" when I had to run into the office for a fews hours. I added more quarters within the alloted period but to my amazement the meter man was giving me a ticket "at his discretion" he says because I should have moved my car to another space since the meters are only 1 hour. He was on a power trip and said he was having a bad day so he thought he would give out tickets. Nice eh? How do we expect to bring people to the city when this kind of attitude exists? How can businesses survive when people can't even park outside the buildings?'

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The quote defines a suburban person! Clearly never lived or spent time in a city...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thought that you would have to pay to park or that you can only park in a spot for an hour, just sends the suburban mind into complete confusion.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The quote defines a suburban person! Clearly never lived or spent time in a city...

Very true. You can't even park a non-commercial vehicle on the street in Midtown Manhattan.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While this may indeed be the definition of a suburban person, I think his/her post reflects a challenge that downtown buildings have in attracting tenants. The employees of businesses who work in suburban office parks are used to having easy and (most of the time, free) parking.

For now, it seems like downtown developers try to accomodate this interest, but that is not always easy or feasible. Hopefully, the other attractions of being located downtown will eventually outweigh the downside of the parking situation. It will be difficult, though, as workers who have been driving to work for 20 years will find it difficult to change habits after so long.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.