Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Industrial Vendors? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Legodude
Username: Legodude

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
Any recommendations for neat "industrial" stores? I'm looking for stuff like new/scrap metal, used machinery, parts from old factories, etc. I know of Grainger, but that is hardly interesting and given the city's industrial base, there have to be lots of gems that I am missing. I'm primarily looking for old woodworking machines, but anything will do.

Thanks
Mike

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not specific to Detroit but they pull in a lot of material from Detroit.

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplu s.com/

There are numerous auctions that you can find in various newspapers and trade magazines as well.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4898
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an interesting article in The Detroit News a few months ago about industrial equipment auctions in the area. People from all over the world come to Detroit for surplus machinery from factory closings.

It's kind of sad of course but it's also amazing how much people pay for that equipment. So there is still an economy here even if it's only to sell off our industrial corpse piecemeal. :-(

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah-Lil used to be off of Warren near Wyoming. They used to sell used machinery.
Also Factory steel in Highland Park ,on Oakland sells used metal and new.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Sarah-Lil is on Central off of Warren. I looked it up

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If their new place is anything like the old one, go on a warm day, otherwise you'll freeze.

For new stuff, Production Tool is a large, local store, with a few outlets around town. Their main store and warehouse is on 8 Mile, just east of Van Dyke. They do have some woodworking tools and machinery.

Another place is Wholesale Tool on Stephens, east of Hoover in Warren. New and some lower end tools, open to the general public.

There are quite a few used machinery places in the Detroit area, but most of them sell very large pieces of industrial machinery. The problem is finding places that sell things as small as a Bridgeport milling machine, or smaller. North Bay Machinery on Nine Mile, just east of Van Dyke, on the north side in an old warehouse, has the kinds of machines and hand tools that can be moved without having a forklift and liftgate truck.

For used tools, there are/were(?) a couple of places: one on Woodward between 12 & 13, and another on Van Dyke a bit north of M-59. It's been awhile since I've been to either one, so I don't know if they are still around. Both bought and sold tools, and had a decent inventory of stuff.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on March 26, 2008)

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Umcs
Not specific to Detroit but they pull in a lot of material from Detroit.

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplu s.com/

There are numerous auctions that you can find in various newspapers and trade magazines as well.

HGR ROCKS! It is well worth the trip to Cleveland to check it out.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why mess with used stuff when you can buy new stuff for the price of used?

Google "HarborFreight"

I bought a 2000 pound lathe from them, they shipped it from Ca to Detroit for $8. They have some insane deal with Yellow freight.

Locally, "Wholesale tool Company" here in Detroit.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and another on Van Dyke a bit north of M-59.

That might be "Mr. Tool" on the east side of Van Dyke. I've never been there but my dad used to make it a weekly visit.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legodude -

Can you be more specific? Art, decoration, invention, common tools ?
I have to second HarborFreight, mostly Chinese, but we ALL are on a budget now. I bought infrared outdoor security video cameras there for $29.00. They have stores in Fraser, Pontiac/Waterford, and Flint. (Livonia ?)

A Mr. Tool is/was at 21&1/2 and Van Dyke, heading
north on the right hand side. Look for the vertical propane tank. Lots of old/used machinist/power tools.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on March 26, 2008)

Legodude
Username: Legodude

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the responses. Mr. Tool looks like a good first stop. I should have put that I know Harbor Freight, and while I think it is fine for some things, usually look to buy old quality tools and restore them. I enjoy the restore process and getting to know a tool inside and out. I'm essentially looking for anything up to a Bridgeport/Cabinet saw in size. Old handplanes & spokeshaves, machinist/layout, lathe, tablesaw, belt/disc sander, mig/tig welder, small milling machine, etc.

Mike

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 860
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that case, hit the Dixieland flea market at Telegraph and Dixie Hwy. in Waterford.
Weekends with nice weather will yield a lot of old tools.
Also the Armada flea market, Tuesdays and Sundays, this season.
You should of posted earlier, I sold most of my machinist tools and all my Kennedy boxes on Craigslist. And that is also a good place to look!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAC Supply on Dequindre in Hazel Park has industrial supplies. They may be able to turn you on to a machine dealer if they have nothing you need. Check craig's list too. My uncle bought an old machine shop building on Fitzpatrick for his auto restoration business. He off loaded a lot of left over stuff from the previous owner's on Craig's List.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.