Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fred Kressbach's dad, John. died 1888 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from Page 647 of History of Monroe County, Michigan: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, its People, and its Principal Interests

quote:

Fred M. Kressbach. The present popular and efficient incumbent of the office of city clerk of Monroe, Michigan is Fred M. Kressbach, who is well kown in Monroe county, where he was born and reared and where he has resided during the greater part of his life time thus far. He is a business man of shrewd ability and keen forsight and as a result of his fair and honorable methods and sterling integrity of character he became a candidate for the office of city cerk, to which important position he was elected for the first time in 1910.

Fred M. Kressbach was born at Monroe, Michigan, October 1, 1869, and he is a son of John and Judith (Baier) Kressbach, the former of whom was born at Wuertemburg, Germany, and the latter of whom claims the same place of her nativity. John Kressbach passed his boyhood and early manhood in Germany, where he attended school until his fourteenth year, when he entered upon an apprenticeship to learn the wagon-maker's trade. After thoroughly familiarizing himself with the work of his trade he traveled as a journeyman, visiting a number of interesting European cities. In 1854 he emigrated to the United States, landing in New York city, whence he went directly to Monroe, Michigan. Here he entered the employ of Mr. Spalding, for whom he worked on a farm for a salary of eight dollars per month. Subsequently he was employed for several years by Jacob Kull as blacksmith. And in 1868 he assumed charge of the Detroit Wine Company, which prominent concern has its headquarters at Monroe. He had the care of the above wine company from 1868 until 1888, and during that score of years he acquired the knowledge of an expert in the art of conducting vineyards and manufacturing grapes into wine. His quality of wine became very popular and was highly recommended for its brilliant color and, superior clarity and unusual richness of taste. As wine-maker he held prestige as one of the best in the entire state. He was a man of fine intellect, upright and honest in all his intentions and ever commanded the unqualified confidence and respect of all with hom he had dealings. His death occured in 1888 and his death was mourned throughout the section ...

The federally subsidized railroad was a job-maker for Kressbach.

(Message edited by putnam on March 27, 2008)

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the reason for this post is what?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The federally subsidized railroad was a job-maker for Kressbach."

Maybe?

Putnam

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have included this from deeper in the quotation (available at the link provided):

quote:

... Upon completing his education he (Fred) entered the employ of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Company, working in the freight office of that concern, in this city, for a period of fifteen years. ...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred's dead? I didn't even know he was sick!

I would have sent him a card.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the movie. Phoebe Cates is hot!

drop

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4683
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I know of Putnam, I will guess this is about [Michigan?] wine. How did I do?

Putnam

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I just thought it was a neat story, from a local history and wine perspective both. Also, I dig the naked promotional phrasing ("He is a business man of shrewd ability and keen forsight and as a result of his fair and honorable methods and sterling integrity of character he became a candidate for the office ") ... call it nostalgia. But really, it's not that different in substance than what you read nowadays.

Also, there's the immigration story, which I imagine being repeated all around me in the southwest D.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.