Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Urban Bean Co! » Archive through March 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since I moved to Detroit last winter, I've been waiting for the mystery coffee shop at Griswold and Grand River to open, and finally it did!
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/urbanbeanery13508 .aspx

It's in a tiny 1960's glass-and-orange-panel shack squeezed onto a sliver of land next to an ancient parking garage, with tall two-story windows looking 24hrs a day at all the nefarious goings on across the street in Capitol Park. It's got cool music, free wi-fi, and has brought a consistent flow of customers into a formerly dismal (but sometimes entertaining) corner of downtown Detroit.

In a word, its perfect.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open 24 hours? I'm there. I've often wished for a late-night café space in the city.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not actually open 24 hours...it says in the article linked above that it's open 7am to 10pm weekdays and 8am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I love the idea of a 24 hour coffee shop downtown, I can see them limiting their hours soon because of the location. 24 hours works well in well maintained areas, not rundown Capitol Park.

That said, I will be checking this out tomorrow.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4649
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to try it. Interesting location and sight lines. Capitol Park is about to get very quiet as the Rosa Parks transit center rises.

It certainly looks better on the inside than out.

Google street view is getting very useful...

Coffee

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me crazy, but I'm curious about their coffee... I checked out their myspace, and it looks like it is for a club, not a coffee house. How many types of coffee are offered? What kinds? What types of machines do they use? Automatic or manual? Is there an actual barista employed there, or just a cigarette slinger?

I mean, that sink sounds great and all but...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark,

OK. You are crazy. Go there, find out, buy a coffee or not, and report back to everyone.

Be a pioneer!

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked in there on Wednesday afternoon just to check it out. I don't drink coffee so I had a Red Bull and was high for about five hours. No one was in there but me but the owner, Josh, said they get some random customers. Jrvass is right, go see for yourself.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it! What a curious sliver of a building. Excellent views out the window. Here's hoping the 24-hours plan works out!

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They carry Great Lakes Coffee. I stopped by today. The place looks nice.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been there a couple times. It's a good cup of coffee and a funky decor.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5745
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, that is a very amusing building. That may be an amazing location down the line if it can stay in business.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He stayed "out of business" for 5 years. Hopefully staying in should be easier. :-)

When he opened, he caught a bit of grief from his friends for it taking so long.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully it does better than Save the Vinyl did in that location. I know it's a totally different kind of shop, but half the time when I tried going to STV, the lone employee was hanging out somewhere else on the block. I'd have to hang out in front for a few minutes before they noticed they had a customer.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11889
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Josh had some difficulties, but he is WAY dedicated to this project...and is doing it exactly right.

He does have the 'right' espresso machine, the 'right' beans, and extreme filtering of city water...not a one of you coffee snobs will be disappointed.

The place looks empty now, as he ramps up his capital for more stock...the more we go in and patronize this solid fellow, the faster this will get to 24 hours.

MY first time in there, a couple of young dudes very obviously cased out the joint and were going to do some evil...Josh is too streetwise to miss that action, and I was already outside on my way to a cop parked by the bus terminal.

When I walked back, I went right up to the lookout watching the door...said a friendly hello...and resumed enjoying my cuppa joe.

Cheers and more!

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went by this morning at 8 AM to try it out. Closed. Hopefully this isn't going to be another downtown business with randonmly rotating hours of operation.

And yes, it is a shitty location. Not going to be getting alot of foot traffic there - other than vagrants wanting a handout.

But it is (could be) a great location once the bus shelters move out and when (if) other businesses/renovations take place in Capitol Park.

Gannon

Post Number: 11890
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that feedback, Got. Text nag sent.

Gannon

Post Number: 11891
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shitty location ONLY until the Rosa Parks terminal is built...and the Book-Cadillac is finished!

Have vision...build towards it!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the buses leaving, I think it will be better in that neighborhood... it has a ton of potential. It being open till 7 is great too, because there are times I want the 6:30 fix.

Although this forumer has every intent of supporting the place, the mysteriously changing hours are not cool under any circumstances.

Although I'm decently tolerant because I like local businesses, people expect businesses to be open at a set time. Heck, if it's Tuesday through Friday from 7a-1p, that's fine... as long as it's ALWAYS that. Like a baseball umpire, it doesn't matter much where the strike zone is, just keep it in the same place all game.

People wonder what are the keys of a chain's success.. and that's one that's easy to duplicate with just proper planning.

Because frankly, if I want coffee, and your sign says 7-7, but you're closed two or three times when I go when your sign says you're open, I'm not coming back, and nor are most people, because it's inconvenient - especially when I need to take extra time to go out of my way to visit you. It says very plainly (regardless of intent or not) that "I don't want your business."

That all said, I actually like it from the outside, looks awesome up close when I last visited (they were supposed to be open) and will probably wander over there for my daily joe at some point today.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park has the potential to be really magical. It is surrounded by some of the most architecturally beautiful buildings in downtown. Once Rosa Park transit comes on line and bus traffic diminishes, combined with the Cadillac opening, I look for a bright and improving future for that once very upscale shopping district. Hopefully a little more green space will be added.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the basic ideas in marketing is "when" you will be providing your service. Every intro marketing class covers that.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the BC opening will be huge for that side of downtown. I think it will be the thing that adds more traffic and brings more development. Also add to that the Fort Shelby. I think both of these will bring in more small conventions that will help.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to this place for the first time the other day. The coffee was great, the decor was cool (tons of nice eames shell chairs upstairs), dj equipment and records upstairs, and a great bathroom. when I was in there, it seemed like the place is already being supported by a lot of the loft dwellers you hear so much about, who must be dying to support a business like this. I think the location is great already: the capitol park activities make great people watching from the floor to ceiling windows upstairs, and mongo's and oslo are literally a block away. but yes, it will be even better with the bc and rosa parks openings.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the area is being rebuilt by a lot of folks who ride bikes. kudos to them between d'mongos and this place, and rumor has it Chelios bought a building in the area it's going to take off!

Gannon

Post Number: 11896
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally got a reply from Josh.

He had to attend a funeral this morning, and does NOT have anyone on staff yet to cover when he's gone.

I've asked him to connect with his rabid fans, like myself, when something like this happens in the future.

Please give him another chance...it will be worth it.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Digitalvision.

I go to a barber that has unusual hours sometimes. But usually there is a note in the window explaining why he is closed. ("Illness in Family" was the last one. His mother is quite elderly.)

I couldn't wait for Tuesday, so I went somewhere else. But I would certainly return to him since his being closed then is a legitimate excuse and showed common courtesy to his customers.

(Edited for clarity)

(Message edited by jrvass on March 21, 2008)

Bigd
Username: Bigd

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to stop by there twice over the last couple of days, and both times it was closed. Once at around 10am and once in the late afternoon. I live in the Lofts at Merchants Row across the street, and was really looking forward to having a coffee place right there. Hopefully he gets the hours issue worked out so that people can count on it being open.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no offense to this guy Josh...but, from the way it sounds...he has a great niche obviously, because so many of u have attempted to patronize his place...but, he lacks the resources to run his business..ie @ least one standby employee.

I don't know but, it doesn't sound good!! How is he going to make money to sustain the business if its never open and in a peculiar location?? He won't even be able to make it until the transit center opens!! I know if i visit during his normal hours of operation and it's closed..i'm not likely to go back!!

Gannon

Post Number: 11902
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We understand, 'maybe, that's why this discussion can go POSITIVE or wimp out negative.

Add or subtract. Your call.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by chitaku on March 21, 2008)