Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Suburbs... soon to be slums » Archive through March 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not the best article, but enough to generate some talk.

i sometimes get the feeling that maybe not soon but soon enough there will be many problems from our willingness to keep expanding artificialy and waste the vast space that now makes up metro detroit.

I especially see this when i am out west of I-96 in the novi/northville area.

expansion could be a very dangerous thing, environmentally and especially economically it soon could haunt us.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc /200803/subprime

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to the water dept.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The part about the homes being cheaply built intrigues me. A couple people I know lost their homes in the suburbs recently. The reason was mainly that the houses turned into money pits that needed to eventually be completely redone.

I often wonder if we'll get stuck in some bizarre in between. I mean there are these people and jobs moving downtown from the suburbs, then the ones that are moving to the exurbs, and I'm sure many will stay put in the area in between. Then there is the fact that we already have to many houses and so many people leaving. Are we just going to get stuck with one big, expensive, sprawled out city/suburb/slum area?

I already put my money on the city, so I hope more people end up choosing the city. But I know there are still many people who are placing theirs on the other two; at least one of these groups will have to lose.

And if it does switch, are we going to be stuck economically dragging the suburbs infrastructure along with us forever?

On another note,

I was looking at MSN Live, and its weird how you can see the city slowly get more and more suburban. I wonder how many suburbs would still be needed if everyone moved back.

One other question for you guys. If many suburbs were once farmland/woodlands why did they build so close together and up against the street (I am implying that this area was there before sprawl reached these places)? The only thing I can figure is that it was made to be easy to travel? The mile roads showing how far out from downtown you were, and then you'd just turn on the road of the town you wanted to go to/come from. So these would have been major travel routes.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4519
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic article, thanks for the link.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5619
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there were any appreciable number of good jobs in Detroit, people would move back, and they would gladly kick the bums out of their and their kids' way. But, that'll not happen in our lifetime, so that's just dreaming.

If a couple hundred jobs appear, some city promoters talk it up big time, while saying little or nothing when tens of thousands of jobs disappear. It all depends on what type of politics and money is involved--and who benefits.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7228
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some suburbs that are destined to be slums and here's the list:

LINCOLN PARK

MELVINDALE

RIVER ROUGE

ECORSE

WARREN

HAZEL PARK

REDFORD TWP.

INKSTER

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is by far the most racist thread I have read on this site. Slum, as you already know, is a code word for Blacks. But guess, what? To Traverse City and beyond you go.

Stat!

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see race in everything, go for it. The article is mostly about the subprime mortgage crisis, a housing surplus , and people moving back into urban areas.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fige plays the race card with every single thread, so don't worry about it. Just ignore...

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 843
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suburbs will have good and bad spots, just like the inner city. Infact in most of the world, suburbs were never these crime free disney worlds for people to live in bubbles.

Suburbs in most world cities, are where the poor are pushed out to, etc. In planning class, we learned how Toronto during the public housing building boom of the 50-70's built almost all the public housing on the outskirts in the new suburbs. They did not want to use high valued inner city land for public housing.
This is nothing new.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny correction I think you mean SOUTH Warren. Once you cross I-696 its a totally different world!

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it becomes Trash With Cash.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5782
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only input on this is to say the older houses in our area are well-built and tend to be much more interesting and unique. On the reverse, I know several homes built in the 80's that are already falling apart at the seams. The builder who constructed my parents' house found himself in jail shortly after for just such a reason. I definitely encourage anybody looking to purchase a home to consider a house with history and character, built by people who took great pride in their work. If you're anything like me, you will find much fulfillment in it.

Sometimes I think about that Highland Park assembly worker in 1922, coming home to that same house after a long day of putting Fords together. I think he wore overalls and one of those old caps, at least that's how I see it.

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Don't forget Taylor

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waterford and Pontiac. Although not inner ring suburbs, are headed the route of slums.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4520
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figebornu, that's garbage. There are plenty of white slums. If that is your reading of the word and its connotation, then fine, but there are white slums. The term is defined by property values and the overall condition of the neighborhood. If you think only blacks exist in poorly-kept neighborhoods, then you are the racist.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article. Sounds like the end of the U.S. as we know it is upon us. Soon we're going to have to start selling off states to the Chinese. I wonder how much the Chinese will give the U.S. Gov't for Michigan. Maybe enough to cancel the financial debt we owe them?

Incidentally, in my Rochester Hills neighborhood, there are several vacant homes. In one that was rented, the cops came last week and evicted the family for failure to pay rent, and because the family was stealing electricity from the neighbors and had bypassed gas lines for free gas.

I guess Rochester Hills is becoming kinda slummy, eh?

Bob

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the change in the economy is affecting people in ways not seen since the Great Depression. Michigan is only the tip of the iceberg. When this economic mess for MI started in the last recession in 2001, everyone kept predicting just wait till next year, it will be better. Well, we have been waiting and finally people are getting wise to that things are not going to change for the better for a while. Bush is in denial about it being as bad as it is.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amused.

You can't tell me that you're really surprised. This is the same thing that happened to the inner cities for the same reason.

Bob

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think we would learn from history, but we never do. We are doomed to repeat it in a never ending cycle.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next thing we know, Fig is gonna be on the sports board in Tiger Talk complaining about a white man taking over a black mans spot in centerfield

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny

Lincoln Park and Ecorse are not slums. Blue collar, yes, but they are not blighted wastelands.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I go home to visit in St. Clair Shores I always notice two things: every year there are more black residents, and every year the area gets nicer and nicer. For whatever that's worth, put that in your pipe...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, you're cynical as usual but on this one very right.

It's all about the jobs. Folks moved to the 'burbs when the auto plants (in our region) for the most part moved out.. and so did the corporations. Put the jobs in the city, more will live in the city.

Simple equation... and I agree, I hate the shell game of "oh look! 100 jobs" when 1,000 are leaving. But that's politics, because no one wants to address the structural issues.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyumbryan, you are right, Figborne plays the race card in every post he rants on. Yesterday, he started a new thread that was deleted . His whole topic was about "flocks of white sheep" and how they view Detroit.Yesterday, he was on a roll about whites and his dislike for them.

Thanks Lowell for deleting his racists rants. He was doing nothing more than trashing whites for wanting to make a better life for themselves..Sheese, fig, chill out.......Jane

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Warren once you cross 696 like the one person mentioned and you get into the 9mile area you see a drastic change in scenery. They say it's starting to spread more north of 9mile now. Pontiac has got's sections of the town that are have a varied degree of decay.

From what ive heard is that alot of people who lived in Detroit have moved to areas such as Warren and Etc' and the numbers are growing.

I can't stand Mc'homes in the new sub-developments. I perfer an older home and I am looking at buying an older house. Ive been looking around Mt Clemens & St Clair shores for a home in the Macomb county area.

Mommabird
Username: Mommabird

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this coming when great swaths of land started being chopped down to make way for the McMansions. Urban sprawl is a menace and the answer is designing viable cities. And it's mindboggling because the average citizen knows that, but for some reason it just can't happen.

I have been to many cities and Detroit stands alone. No public transportation to speak of, the streets are empty during the day and nothing but partiers from out of town at night and miles and miles of abandoned buildings. Have you ever been to say NYC at noonish on a week day? You can feel the pulse of the city. Go to downtown Detroit at the same time and it's a feeble shudder.

It's sad and unfortunately the answer people are embracing is moving out and building elsewhere instead of investing that same money in the city. It does the suburbs no good to have their open spaces chopped down to build more Mchouses and it does Detroit less good. And clearly it hasn't done our economy any good either! We need public transportation, neighborhood (that is, run by people in the neighborhoods) beautification/watch/gardening /etc. programs, Small businesses- and grocery stores. People helping people, not running away.

Fig...
Slum is codeword for black? What code? Whose Code? I am appalled that such bigotry as yours exists. I have ignored and ignored you, but jeeze! It is just this sort of attitude that makes white folks afraid to live in Detroit and send their kids to Detroit schools. Put yourself in our shoes. If you heard some white person talking like that, would you want to move into their neighborhood? I'm sorry, but Detroit needs white folks, and hispanics, and asians and blacks, because diversity is important. A forest with only one kind of tree is doomed.

Slum as I have understood it my whole, apparently rediculously sheltered life, is codeword for urban decay. When white people say "slum" they mean scary, dirty neighborhoods with decaying houses, broken sidewalks, and no viable businesses, regardless of the ethnic background of the people involved. Coincidentally, I suspect that when black, hispanic and asian people say "slum" they mean the same thing. Strange that.

Let me just assure you that we white folks aren't organized enough to have anti-black-folk codes, okay. And if we do/are, well, I guess I didn't get the memo, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop generalizing.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mommabird,

Welcome and GREAT first post. Figgy finally made you join up, huh?
birds

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually think the inner ring suburbs will make a come back. Its the outer ring suburbs that will feel the brunt of the suburban decline. Livonia, West Bloomfield, Sterling Heights, Rochester, Canton, Novi, etc. There isn't much future for those towns. Unlike the inner ring, which is on the grid, and is more dense, and much more suitable for infill, and much easier to connect to a mass transit system.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W_chicago, Livonia is about as griddy and inner ring as you get,

They just want to be an oakland county exburb so bad.

As a matter of fact, all of the cities you listed are in the grid and about 15 minutes from downtown Detroit.

Now Clarkston, Romeo, Woodhaven and Belleville is where you lose me :-)

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 26, 2008)