Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Gary Brown might run against Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick Congress seat « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fired Detroit Police Deputy Chief Gary Brown might run against Kwame's mother Carolyn Cheeks for her House of Representatives seat. He has commissioned a poll of his chances.
More in the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080327/NEW S01/80327062

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he would be a great candidate because he has so much experience in government and politics. I guess this is an early April fools joke.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see him unseat her. That would be crazy.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here earlier I heard he was considering Detroit City Council, damm

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Gannon... I called this yesterday.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he's got $8.4 million to run his campaign...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's going to lose if he runs - the party will rally around Carolyn if not for her seniority and being the head of the black caucus.

It's a loss for Detroit because to unseat a democrat with another democrat as a junior member means less clout for the city and district, agree with her or not.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5638
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Her" district is probably majority Caucasian, considering its demographics: Grosse Pointes, Downriver, SW Detroit, the gentrified CBT, among others. How effective could the black caucus be, considering that many don't like her.

If she doesn't control the black caucus, obviously somebody better would. What's the big draw with Mommie Dearest and her y'alls boy?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he might win from support from the Pointes, but they are GOING TO DRAG HIS NAME IN THE MUD

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Brown may have a decent chance at a win but i agree it would be an ugly campaign. I hope he lands somewhere he can help the City, it's residents and neighbors.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5897
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He might be an acceptable alternative if this wasn't so obviously opportunistic. Like any congressional district, it deserves good government, not vendetta politics. Does anyone know his views on anything concerning the issues that the district cares about? I'm not a fan of the idea of protest candidates for whatever reason. Never was, never will be. He no more deserves the district for simply being unfairly fired than Cheeks deserves it for simply being the incumbent. Yes, this truly is "silly season" in politics.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not majority caucasian, LY. It's 60% black as of 2000, and I'm willing to bet with the demographic shifts in Harper Woods and other areas it's numbers are higher than that now.

I still believe the state party will not allow a senior ranking member of congress to be unseated. It's not just the caucus, it's all of the committee ranking, etc. that the state stands to lose. The district and state loses all of that rank and with the rank and the heading of committees is the power in the legislative process.

She was also unanimously voted head of the Congressional Black Caucus - they sure like her leadership, even if you don't, and in this case Livernoisyard, neither you or I can have any effect on that decision.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5640
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick never really ran a campaign for her seat, except, perhaps, the first time when she first won her primary. She's one person who would best prefer being off the radar.

Money wouldn't decide that primary because the local media would probably do whatever they could to worsen Mommie's position in ways that money wouldn't help.

Obviously, any Kilpatrick opponent would be helped big time by the Freep, no doubt! Having the major newspaper against her would be a severe hardship for her. Even a leftist as Mitch Albom apparently has a daily vendetta against Kilpatrick and his extended clan. Ditto for the rest at WJR--the region's major radio station.

See the point? Who gives squat what the party machine does around here? Even Granny is keeping a low profile on many areas other than the Kilpatrick problem because her primary constituents aren't that enamored with her either. And her political base is losing population three times faster than the second worst region in the US.

The old rules don't hold when ships are sinking...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2752
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still believe the state party will not allow a senior ranking member of congress to be unseated. It's not just the caucus, it's all of the committee ranking, etc. that the state stands to lose. The district and state loses all of that rank and with the rank and the heading of committees is the power in the legislative process.

What exactly has that rank and committee status gotten the people of her district?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6581
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... one can ask the same question of one of the senior members of the House... John Conyers. Any memorable legislation of his get passed in the 40+ years in the House? And just how much bacon has he brought home?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From little I know about the Wiki, it supposedly has a definite pro liberal slant. Yet, the following quote is from her Wiki article:
quote:

She was married to Bernard Nathaniel Kilpatrick,with whom she has daughter Ayanna and son Kwame Kilpatrick (a/k/a "Y'alls Boy"), Detroit's youngest mayor and currently under indictment for perjury. She has 5 grandsons, including 2 sets of twins: Ayanna's twins; and Kwame's twins Jelani and Jalil(1996) and Jonas(2002).

Career

She is a member of the Detroit Substance Abuse Advisory Council.

Having defeated incumbent Barbara-Rose Collins in the 1996 Democratic primary, Kilpatrick was elected as a Democrat from Michigan's 15th congressional district to the 105th and to the three succeeding Congresses, serving in the U.S. House from January 3, 1997 to the present. After redistricting in 2003, she began representing the 13th district.

She was one of the 31 who voted in the House to not count the electoral votes from Ohio in the United States presidential election, 2004.

On December 6, 2006, The Congressional Black Caucus unanimously chose Kilpatrick as its chairwoman for the next two years.

Committee Assignments

* Appropriations Committee
o Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
o Subcommittee on Homeland Security
* Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group
* Chairperson of the Congressional Black Caucus

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, can anyone name anything that Conyers has done for the city in his 40+ years in Congress? The only piece of legislation he has ever authored that got signed into law was the Martin Luther King holiday. Every Congress he introduces the same two bills: a slavery reparations study and a bill to remove Major League Baseball's anti-trust exemption.

Seriously, in the past 10-20 years, has he been an effective Representative?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6582
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even suburban Rep. John Dingell (52+ years in the House) got something for Detroit... the new VA Hospital that later bore his name.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign me up to volunteer for that campaign.
Gotta get me some new walking shoes.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7241
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Jerry Brown runs for state rep. This would be the result:

BROWN 47%

KILPATRICK 49%

Carolyn won due to large support from the black slaters from Detroit and minimum support from the Grosse Pointers.

However if her son KING KWAME were convicted of perjury and sent to prison for 15 years, this would be the result.

BROWN 52%

KILPATRICK 44%

This is due to Anti-Kwame folks in Detroit are more Anti-Kwame folks in from white folks in the pointes.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be amazing if while the mayor was up on his charges, his MOTHER lost her bid for recollection.

There is a Biblical passage about the blind man who was cured but the debate was 'whose sin' was it that he was born blind? (his sin or his parents sin [actually neither]).

It would be rare in politics for a parent to be unseated because of the actions (sins) of a son or daughter.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Brown was on Mildred Gaddis show and took calls from listeners; while the ratio was 9 out 10 in favor of Gary Brown for congress, many -if not most- of the callers seemed to think that a seat in Congress would actually create change within the City.

While indeed having CCK collecting her pension is best for everyone, I'm afraid that people think Gary Brown will actually be able to do something to change Detroit from Washington.

Congress is loath to help Detroit until Detroit helps Detroit; otherwise the folks in Washington view any Federal aid as money down a RatHole.

Proof? Ah, Carl Levin lives in the Layfayette park, CCK lives in Detroit on Linwood (?), John Dingell lives near Fairlane, Conyers lives on 7 Mile... jeeze, that's a lot of Washington power within 12 miles and those folks have been powerless to affect positive change. You might say they're all idiots and that they should all go, but what if the problem is that solutions never come from Washington?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Gary Brown fan, and I'd donate money and shoe leather, but I think he'd make a bigger impact in the Manoogian than on Capital Hill.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12023
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil,

LOL, that was my first reaction, too.

However, I can see a greater good for the city in his appointment by the next mayor as Chief, with his inner circle including at least Steve Dolunt and a few of the other people of good stature that have weathered this storm.

No reason he couldn't use that cash for something other than a damn campaign.

THAT is the greatest good I can see for this man in public service, I just hate seeing a good officer not using his talents within the department, recovering from all of this crapola.

I'd think the good officers will really rally around him, and those marginal ones would start looking for other work.

Cheers,
John

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12024
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

lost her bid for recollection

Freudian slip?!

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has my vote, how do I get a lawn sign. CCK is done.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't vote for him just because of who he is. What does he stand for? What are his policies? What skeletons are in his closet? What experience does he have in the political arena? How many of you sudden Gary Brown supporters can answer any of these questions?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8085
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think Gil Hill!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um ... I'd say if 60 percent of her district is black and she's supporting Clinton, well, maybe she IS out of touch with her district.

Is the Mac Machine breaking down? :-)

Digitalvision

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She doesn't support Clinton - she stated that she's staying neutral until a nominee is selected.

Not saying she's all that, but when it comes to budget, getting things passed, etc. a lot of things happen in the minutia.

Mildred Gaddis is not an accurate barometer, as much as hosts on the pro-Kilpatrick side are.

Saying Mildred Gaddis is a barometer of anything is like going to a union hall meeting and asking "do you support the union movement?" and then going out and saying that all people feel that way.

As to John Conyers, he has worked hard on lots of issues that maybe us white folk don't know about or don't care about.

He's also been a friend of the unions and the big 3 (some of which, I personally, don't agree with, but I'm sure the majority of the population in his district does).

Congress really can't effect the home front a ton in immediate results, it's effect is very indirect through things like appropriations due to the constraints of the party system.

I don't know if you guys realize this, and I was surprised to learn it myself working with congresspeople on both sides of the aisle in different forms, but they only get a few issues they are allowed to deviate from the party line on and the rest they need to tow the line to get the money and party support to be elected. The party can withhold all kinds of resources from you if they don't agree with your candidacy.

I don't necessarily 100% support CCK... however, I am VERY hesitant to emotionally support a candidate that I know nothing about and frankly, has zero life experience (that we know of) to show they'd be a good congress person (legislature is all about coalition and consensus building, as you can do nothing by yourself).

Now, Sheriff... etc... I could buy that.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my humble opinion, it's pretty obvious that the state Democratic leadership has wanted to broker Michigan for Clinton. Maybe CCK never overtly declared her support, but this point is undeniable.

"If a civil rights icon like Congressman John Lewis, a superdelegate from Atlanta, can switch his support from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama ... why can't Congresswoman Kilpatrick get in step with the people of her congressional district?" Waters said.

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of Kwame's legal troubles, do you the michigan democratic party or the DNC will ask him or mommy to not attend the convention?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 964
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former State Representative, Mary Waters, has thrown her Easter bonnet into the 13th District congressional fight.

For those who don't remember, Mary Waters was Term Limited out of office in 2006. She tried to run for Secretary of State. Kilpatrick actively opposed her nomination because Mary Waters had supported Freeman Hendrix.

Coleman Jr. is the current Rep from the Michigan 4th District.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=e16a6932-ee14 -465c-afdb-e2929983567a

The problem with a crowded election field is that almost any incumbant is guaranteed 40% of the vote; with two - or more- they split the remaining 60% and CCK waddles back to DC.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Kwame a super delegate?

Digitalvision

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think yes, Emu. Most big city mayors are.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! That's why he's Super-Sized! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.