Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 57,028 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I hear that as the attendance tonight for the Sweet 16 games at FF?

Nice!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw on tv last night that MSU could have sold another 7,000 seats had they had their game at Ford Field rather than where they played their regional game.
And on today's radio, I heard that the Kansas coach was not all that wowed by Ford Field as a venue for basketball as he thought the fans ( including his large cadre of JayHawks) were too far removed from the court.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6234
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

57,028 is a huge number for basketball. The NCAA is all about the money. Terrible venue for basketball.

Years ago, jjaba was at the NCAA Finals in Mpls. Metrodome. He got vertigo so far up and in the bathroom, Larry Craig style, got two Michigan fans to release their seats to him. They were pissed anyways after a loss.

jjaba.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2921
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No room for wide stances on the Dexter bus.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The NCAA is all about the money."

Good. And if they feel they can make more of it in Detroit rather than somewhere else, welcome to tha D!

FF needs to be an annual consideration for the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 (similar to San Antonio).

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Pictures of the crowd, or them assembling the floor?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6237
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed 2921, wrong bathroom.
You are referencing the Minneapolis airport stall.

It would be ill-advised to do a wide stance on the Dexter bus.

Two truths, Ford Field is a lousy basketball venue and Ann Arbor is not a suburb.

jjaba, LOL.

Detx

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two truths, Ford Field is a lousy basketball venue..."

I'll let the NCAA make that judgement call, not you.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Antonio went with a similar configuration that FF had- putting the court at the 50 yard line on a raised platform.

Apparently some of the players weren't crazy about the prospect of diving for a ball and taking a two foot drop before they landed on the bench.

I've heard that FF will be using the same configuration when they host the Final Four next year.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure it isn't the best venue for basketball, but going to a basketball game there is more about the experience than the actual ability to see the game. What one has to keep in mind is that the players are more or less the same size be it basketball or football. If fans are comfortable there watching the Lions play football there, how can it be any more difficult to watch a different sport? A basketball is bigger than a football--it should technically be easier to see.

GO DAVIDSON!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If fans are comfortable there watching the Lions play football there, how can it be any more difficult to watch a different sport?"

Having been to the Silverdome (Upper deck) to watch the Lions and the Pistons play there's a big difference. Many of those upper deck tickets for the Pistons games were given away. I recall going to gas stations to pick up free tickets. You sure as hell wouldn't want to pay for those seats. Sure the people are the same size, but it's the size of the field/court that they play on that comes into play.

(Message edited by rjk on March 29, 2008)

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could not find a beer in the place

Jjaba

Post Number: 6240
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dext, jjaba lets Rjk explain it.
Anytime you convert any auditorium or arena for a purpose other than that which it was intended by architects, you'll get some conerns.
jjaba is audience, but he has opinions. You are right, jjaba has no power over the NCAA.

jjaba, Westsider.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the view from the last row.

I have more photos from Friday on my blog.
Fadeddetroit.com

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the same comments from attendees... the choice of venue left many with 'good seats' requiring opera glasses.

But I'm glad they came downtown! Great for local businesses.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6242
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better seats at El-Wood Sports Bar with the tv on. Nemo's where you don't pay terrible prices.

jjaba.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think the Frozen Four will be that bad though at Ford Field.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No beer sales are allowed at NCAA events. Also since Coca Cola is the official sponsor of the NCAA, they had to pour all aquafina, mountain dew and pepsi products into glasses. All sponsor signage were covered (compuware, budweiser and ford)

If people wanted intimate setting for a game with a good view, they should have held the game at Calihan Hall, since U of D is the host. But then everyone would be bitching about not being able to get tickets for the event.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, unfortunately (in my opinion) the NCAA feels that beer and college don't get along.

Back on thread, isn't being able to actually get a crappy seat better than not being able to get one at all? Anyone attending knows that this is a football venue. It's still better being downtown than out at the Palace, far removed.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4000
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes, unfortunately (in my opinion) the NCAA feels that beer and college don't get along."

Gee, could that be because most college students are under the legal drinking age? I have no problem with alcohol free events, especially since that makes them more kid and family friendly.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well college sporting events are closer to hand-in-hand with beer than family--sorry.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Field sells beer at the college football games there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6243
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, 4000 quality posts. Congratulations, centurian.
Post you email address here for a prize.

jjaba.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a prize for the pup?

Yay!

lilpup965 at aol.com

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had seats in the eighth row behind one of the baskets. I was AT LEAST 70 feet from the court and could see nothing since the seats were below court level and the section was flat. I left at halftime and went to Coach's Corner

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the club seats, and had a great view of the game. No complaints from me at all. A great day.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 889
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the view from the suites was great - and beer was allowed there!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Almost 60 grand at a bb game!

How was the foot traffic outside?

Any pic?

Isn't the Final Four there next yr?

<313>

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday I was sitting at mid-court in the 10th row of the riser seats. Nice view but if you are a shorter person it could have been difficult to view. The risers were only about 5 inches and if behind a taller person, this would have affected the view.

Sunday I was sitting at about the 20 yard line of a football game in the regular ford field seats. These seats had no problem with view, or obstrcution of the person in front of you. The riser on these are about 14 inches.

All in all, it was a great weekend of basketball and partying in the city.

Now must get ready for Opening Day and put an end to my 5 day drinking binge!

I do remember beer being served at a college football game, maybe because the home team had the decision to make? With the basketball game being an NCAA event compared to a home football game? Not sure.....

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went...No fucking beer sales...stupid!

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beer sales are allowed at ncaa events, just not ones that happen on campus, i've been told. why there wasn't any at ford field, i'm not sure. maybe beer isn't allowed during the tournament. wayne state's no-longer-existing hockey team played briefly at the state fairgrounds coliseum and there was definitly beer being sold.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a sign posted in our suite stating that all alcoholic beverages had to be poured into cups before consuming, and that showing beer cans or giving beer cans to anyone outside of the suite was prohibited.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sold beer at Ford Field during the Basketbowl in 2003.

Also, they sell alcohol in the Spartan Stadium suites.

Detx

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080331/S PORTS0203/803310422

YES!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.