Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Earth Hour in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

skyline dark

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats cool. I wonder if they shut the lights off in Times Square, NYC or any other city in the US?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto, Chicago, and San Francisco were mentioned in the article I read. New York wasn't.

Tacoaficionado
Username: Tacoaficionado

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

although some of the lights are off...many are still on

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, IMO, the Detroit skyline is always dark.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Watch for the nighttime banner at the top of the page. The riverfront skyline isn't dark at all.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was interesting on my ride home from work today(I was on the bus at 8PM). The condo towers near my house had almost all their lights off. Was weird looking into the black sky knowing a tower usually is fully aglow there.
The office building near my house also had all lights out, except lights in one or two windows on each floor. Was also weird to see almost a pitch black area where the office tower is usually fully lit. :-)

Interesting event. However the cities were not as dark as I was expecting. While the office towers did turn out lights, it seems like that many of the downtown towers did not turn off that many lights, eventhough they said they were participating.

I am surprised in Detroit that the GM sign seems to be on. Here in Toronto all the big corporations shut their logos off at the top of their buildings, and hyped it up that they were participating in Earth Hour.

Energy use in Toronto was reported to be approx 8.7% below normal levels of energy use.

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 29, 2008)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, IMO, the Detroit skyline is always dark.

Haha, right you are. That picture looks 100% normal to me...just someone played with the camera settings (that, mixed with the sunset in the background) to make it look dark.

Here in Chicago, it was rather anticlimactic, I thought. Lots of buildings turned off their decorative lighting, but that's about it. I live downtown, and all the residential highrises are just as lit as always. Michigan Ave. was interesting though, lots of stores turned off their signs and display lights.

(Message edited by focusonthed on March 29, 2008)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another link

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Looks like 311 Fort, or whatever that mid rise building is on the left in the background, didn't get the memo...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how cheesy

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorta boils down to nothing more than essentially a publicity stunt. Like Earth Day, it is little more than 'awareness.'

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They specifically state their campaign is about awareness.

Whether you believe in global warming or not, its still great to lower energy use particuliarly if it means that some of the dirty and toxic coal plants are used less and less.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5665
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those greens will probably award Kilpatrick a medal for seeing to it that the Detroit skyline was the global leader in darkness for this year's celebration of Earth Hour.

And at the same time, the Detroit coal-fired power plants were actually putting out the same megawatts during that time downtown as before or afterwards!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2748
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Participation in the event is a waste of time. There are so many issues that demand serious attention and require more thought and planning than shutting off a light switch for the night. Let's turn our lights off and be "cool" while our city continues to burn and self destruct because we've had hideous leadership for so long. How cool is that?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 685
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Image wise, I think Detroits participation was important. There are so many reasons that Detroit is backwards and doesn't follow or join in on trends and norms of other cities, and this is a positive example of a change in that respect. And meaning that this is such an easy thing to coordinate why not do it?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, why don't you guys leave your lights on all night long tonight? That will teach those dumb commie tree huggers a lesson.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Pam. I do that every night.

:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.