Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Nice people clean Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, good things do happen.

"Marks watched as his schoolmates dragged, chopped and tossed wood into a large commercial Dumpster and smiled. He said it feels good to see the students connecting with an area they may know anything about.

"It makes you feel that much better about helping the community," he said. "It makes you feel that much better about helping Detroit."

"Becky Kempa, a 21-year-old student from Novi, said this was her second year participating. Last year, she helped to clear lots and then started volunteering as a tutor at Webster Elementary in southwest Detroit."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080329/M ETRO/803290422/1409/METRO

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7245
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How a Novi girl from the suburbs want to help the ghettohoods of Detroit? Surely she gave her heart to the people of Detroit.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12035
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"No one is allowed to get hurt or die," he told the students as they giggled.

Great mantra for us all...at least those who are working for the betterment of the city!

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As great as I think having suburban kids come in to the city to help out, I'd like to see suburbanites get a picture of Detroit that isn't all blight busting, soup kitchens, and stadia/suburbanite playground.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5843
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I guess you'll have to give them a blindfold, or teleport them directly downtown then. Otherwise, perhaps facing reality and trying to help like these students are is the best option.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After blasting suburbanites, maybe more Detroiters should clean up after themselves. You can't say all people outside the city don't care.

Gertrude

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, what I mean is that not all Detroiters are living below poverty or directly suffer from substance abuse or mental illness. Most of the Detroiters I know have jobs, take care of their homes, pay their taxes, and lead lives not so dissimilar to the lives lived by suburbanites. That is the picture that most suburban kids in places like WB, Novi, Farmington Hills, SH, etc just don't have probably because their parents don't have it either.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Gertrude, I agree.

BTW, that was a nice gesture the young suburban girl made. :-)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey!
Let me be optimistic today. Only say nice things on this thread. Thanks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12044
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK.

I think a portion of these volunteers have gone back VERY impressed by some who have stayed, and even more challenged by ones who have decided to become more than 'mere' volunteers.

I've met some recently who have moved into the city because of the things happening here...so the organism can grow even with the loss of such talented and gifted individuals like my new musical friend Drew and others who have to move to find appropriate work in their field (and/or find themselves at the end of their faith and hope).

My prayers include that those like him and that activist woman whose OpEd was published will return when the time is right, or continue to send at least good energy and more back here to maintain momentum...and that ALL of the newbies have dogs that need daycare, grooming, and playtime regularly. Ahem.

Gertrude

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will admit that back when I was in high school, there would have been no way that any suburban parent out in Novi would allow their precious children inside city limits. Many of suburban friends weren't even allowed to come to my house in a nice safe, neighborhood right off the expressway and two blocks from Redford Twp (which wasn't such a bad place in the late 80s).

Things are moving forward and the progress will continue. Please forgive me for an excess of cranky this morning. I've had two cups of Italian coffee and I'm feeling better. :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5845
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Johnlodge, what I mean is that not all Detroiters are living below poverty or directly suffer from substance abuse or mental illness. Most of the Detroiters I know have jobs, take care of their homes, pay their taxes, and lead lives not so dissimilar to the lives lived by suburbanites. That is the picture that most suburban kids in places like WB, Novi, Farmington Hills, SH, etc just don't have probably because their parents don't have it either.

I agree with that, people don't realize that over 800,000 people live in the city, and the vast majority of them are good people. It's difficult to understand all the different factors involved like most of us here do.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.