Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Comerica Park Bike Rack « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if there is a bike rack available at Comerica park. If so where is it. I plan on attending quite a few games this year and I thought I would ride my bike from Hamtramck . It just kills me to pay at least $10.00 to park my car when I only have a $5.00 ticket.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont believe there is a bike rack. I try to find a sturdy fence to lock mine to and lock it up good. I also took off all of my quick releases, replaced my skewers with locking ones and changed out my bike seat. Also be sure your lock cable is braided and an additional u lock never hurts.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen a bike rack. I usually park on the north side of Montcalm, by the Northwest entrance. I put it on the black fence right in front of the parking/security booth.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been told that Hockeytown lets cyclists park their bikes in their special motorcycle parking area. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth checking out.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I either park on Montcalm by the north entrance, or by the South Entrance. Just make sure to use a good lock (U-Lock a plus) and lock at least the FRAME and preferably the frame and front tire to a sturdy fence. Detroit doesn't really have "bike thieves" like other towns... but we DO have oppertunistic petty thieves who will take a bike if they can... What i'm saying is... thieves in Detroit don't know a Nishiki from a Schwin or Shimano... A bike is a bike, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Tacoaficionado
Username: Tacoaficionado

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lock your bike outside of the park bar. That is normally what I do. I can grab a quick beer and head over to the ballpark. They do not have a rack but do have plenty of street signs. The huge windows deter assholes from stealing or vandalizing your bike.

Norwalk

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who do we contact to suggest they build at least 4 bike racks, one on each side, at Comerica Park? It seems like a reasonable request.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bikes? Only poor people ride bikes. If you can't afford a car, you certainly can't afford a ticket to get in.

(The above is satire written from the perspective of a car-head.) :-)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try one of the People Mover stations:

http://www.lmb.org/pages/Resou rces/edu_adv/commutebycity.htm
quote:

The Detroit People Mover - The Mission of the Detroit Transportation Corporation, is to provide safe, reliable, efficient and accessible rail transportation services that will serve to enhance business development and quality of life functions in Detroit by augmenting pedestrian travel and by supporting both private conveyances and other modes of public transportation. Stations with bike racks are Grand Circus Park, Cadillac Center, Financial District and Broadway.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have bike racks at the new ballpark in Washington, D.C.

Can't hurt to ask the Tigers to do the same ...

Write to Mike Healy, VP of Park Operations
Mike.Healy@detroittigers.com
313-471-2005

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers would probably do it.

I called to bitch when they had the first "Mom & Kid's Run The Bases". They wouldn't let me run because I was over 18. I called and complained to Denise Illitch Lites who sent us 3 tickets to the Father's Day "Dad's & Kids of all ages, run the bases".

We went to the game but the line to run the bases went around the stadium, so we blew that off and took the tour later in the season of the stadium's last year.

Jrvass

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, when a co-worker's husband committed suicide a few years ago. The Wings sent her kids tickets and a bunch of autographed equipment. I requested it through Illitch Children's Charities and had the secretary at work call them with Tammy's address.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wrote Mr. Healy

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12082
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a bike rack movement in this town.

I'd bet Chris Turner and a few of the other choice welders...AmandaBox, Lahti, and the stunningly beautiful Christine I met Saturday night...would not mind the extra income and do-good project.

Heck, I'd bet there are a few American Axle workers who'd like an extra buck or two, too. Oldredfordette, can you take this idea to the Union Hall and see where it goes?!

Now to place them without pissing off the pedestrians...I see a few in the islands on Woodward south of Campus Martius, and Hart Plaza, and the aforementioned compass points around the stadium....this really could be fun.

The Park desperately needs one...only one I know at my haunts is in front of the Old Miami, and it is usually FULL!

Are there any on the Riverwalk?!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came back from 10 days in Paris

They have rental bike racks every 2 blocks in Central Paris.

One has to make a 150 collateral fee incase you don't return the bike back.

It is 1 euro per hour

very good idea for Detroit

loose some weight and explore the city!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Riverwalk has bike racks at all the plazas and Mt. Elliot Park.

The City of Detroit is installing bike racks as a part of their streetscape improvements. I'm not sure of their schedule for future improvements and whether they'll be near Comerica Park. http://www.m-bike.org/blog/200 8/02/29/more-bike-racks

Ideally, Comerica Park would provide a roll-in, secured area for bikes rather than a rack on the street. I'm not that familiar with the Park but it seems there could be enough open space inside their fencing for a small bike storage area.

Norwalk

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Showtime has a bike rack!

Jrvass

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feel free to plagiarize...
----------------------------
Mr. Healy,

Is it possible to put bike racks near the entrances of the stadium? Where they can be watched by the gate attendants?

As a season ticket holder last year (I’m an unemployed mainframe computer programmer now.) I took my Dad and his childhood friend to his last game last summer. He passed away in February and was a fan of the Tigers for 81 years. I bought the tickets, parking, gas, lemonade, and hot dogs. Dad had a great time and I have a video that I will treasure.

Dad’s first game at Tiger Stadium, his uncle refused to buy him a 5-cent hot dog. He had a Lincoln and a Chris-craft boat... so money wasn’t the problem. He was a “prick”.

I once spoke to Denise Illitch Lites and she changed “Mom & kids run the bases” to “kids of all ages”. Sent me Fathers Day tickets on the house. We took the Tiger Stadium tour later in Aug. because the line was too long for Dad to wait in. (It circled the stadium).

Illitch Children’s charities also sent things to Ms. Iafano’s children from the Red Wings, after their father committed suicide.

Mr. & Mrs. Illitch’s generosity is certainly appreciated.

I look forward t hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Jrvass

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your suggestion and I will look into it.

Michael Healy
Vice President, Park Operations
Detroit Tigers
(p) 313.471.2005
(f) 313.471.2499

"James V
04/01/2008 09:13 AM
To <mike.healy@detroittigers.com>
cc
Subject Bike Rack

Mr. Healy,

Is it possible to put bike racks near the entrances of the stadium? Where they can be watched by the gate attendants?

As a season ticket holder last year (I’m an unemployed mainframe computer programmer now.) I took my Dad and his childhood friend to his last game last summer. He passed away in February and was a fan of the Tigers for 81 years. I bought the tickets, parking, gas, lemonade, and hot dogs. Dad had a great time and I have a video that I will treasure.

Dad’s first game at Tiger Stadium, his uncle refused to buy him a 5-cent hot dog. He had a Lincoln and a Chris-craft boat... so money wasn’t the problem. He was a “prick”.

I once spoke to Denise Illitch Lites and she changed “Mom & kids run the bases” to “kids of all ages”. Sent me Fathers Day tickets on the house. We took the Tiger Stadium tour later in Aug. because the line was too long for Dad to wait in. (It circled the stadium).

Illitch Children’s charities also sent things to Ms. Iafano’s children from the Red Wings, after their father committed suicide.

Mr. & Mrs. Illitch’s generosity is certainly appreciated.

I look forward t hearing from you.

Sincerely,

James Vass

(Message edited by jrvass on April 02, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 973
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mr. Healy has gotten the message.

This is the response from Mr. Healy to my request to install a bike rack:

quote:

As I stated with the other emails I will look into it. I don't need additional emails sent, and I don't keep a list. I think its a great idea and I am supportive of it. I will let you know my progress in getting this accomplished.

Thanks

Michael Healy
Vice President, Park Operations
Detroit Tigers
(p) 313.471.2005
(f) 313.471.2499

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 894
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeez.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6601
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds a bit like a dick.

How about bike lockers like in Toronto?

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/ locker.htm

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I responded to Mr. Healy and told him he could try to sell the naming rights for THE RACK.

One suggestion was, "The Dolly Parton", there were others as well, I'll let you know if he responds.

Aiw ... at 6 ft 5 inches X 3 foot, those bike lockers would make perfect little homeless shelters during the off-season. Kind of like those Sleeping Pod Hotels in Tokyo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C apsule_hotel

Jrvass

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What more can you ask?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sounds a bit like a dick."

How's the Dale Carnegie Course working out for ya?

OK, his response was a bit short. But if even a fraction of DY members sent him a message, he probably was getting tired of reading the same request over and over. I thought his response to Gnome was a bit more favorable compared to his response to Jrvass which seemed to blow it off. If they realize it will keep people from chaining their bikes to the fences around the stadium, they should be enough incentive for them to do it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Ah, but would you rather someone ride their bike to the ballpark, or pay Ilitch $20 to park at his Landscaped and Lighted Madison-Lenox ParkingPlex?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michael Healy: "I think its a great idea and I am supportive of it."

quote:

Aiw:"Sounds a bit like a dick."

I could take a whole lot more abuse like that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.