Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » David Whitney Scuttlebutt « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny story. I was walking down Washington to get to the game this afternoon and saw a guy pull up on the sidewalk next to the David Whitney. His buddy jumped out of the truck and opened the rolling door on the Washington side of the building. He starts to pull his truck into the building, so I say hey, nice little perk there. He tells me his construction company is working on the roof to preserve the property for future development.

Anyway, long story short, I got to walk in behind him and check things out for a minute. I was surprised what good shape the building was in. Marble was in great shape and, aside from the holes in the glass atrium, things looked very intact. Not turn-key ready, mind you, but certainly in good shape for investment. Low-hanging fruit, if you will. Pretty cool opportunity.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6603
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the movie palaces, and the Guardian/Fisher Buildings... no old downtown building has a lobby of such magnificence as the David Whitney Building.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugby, If only you hand a camera handy....
Would've loved to see inside to date!

<313>

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having never been in the building, I didn't really know what to expect. It occurs to me that the reason it was easily 15 degrees colder in there than outside was because of all of the freakin' marble holding the cold. It was literally like walking into a refrigerator. So those of you who have never been in there, that's a pretty good measure of just how much marble is in the lobby.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://kohrman.blogspot.com/20 06_05_01_archive.html

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link, Dan. Boy, that old dentists' office looks just like the one I went to as a kid. The Spanish Inquisition would have loved to have had it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband shared a law office on the 15th floor, very nice double wood doors and great woodwork.

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kohrman's still alive? (He's the guy who created Forgotten Detroit)
The Whitney is amazing.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior is amazing. Glad to hear work is being done.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.