Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Federal Mogul/Bower Roller Bearing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chalkeyfinder
Username: Chalkeyfinder

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all..I'm new to the forum for an important purpose. I'm looking for anyone who may have worked at the Bower Roller Bearing/Federal Mogul plant in Detroit. Specifically from 1956-73. My search is on behalf of a family who lost their loved one to asbestos cancer.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5684
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, somebody is now probably going to blame cancer on Federal Mogul?

FM unwisely purchased a company that had asbestos-related liabilities, and that purchase bankrupted FM as a result. But FM didn't do it on its own--or if it too had that type of liability, it was minor in comparison.

Chalkeyfinder

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so...just looking for somebody with knowledge of who's asbestos was inside and if anybody knew this gentleman.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5687
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The asbestos that bankrupted FM probably wasn't anywhere in any of FM's older plants because it was a fairly recent, subsequent purchase of another firm that caused FM's demise. [Be careful what what you buy--and inherit...]

I brought this out because your cancer remark probably was included for some reason.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because it was a result of asbestos in a FM owned facility..... not hard to follow LY.

I know personally of the great stress that the asbestos situation put on FM...It really crushed what was a solid company, and I am glad to see it rebounding a bit now.

Chalkeyfinder

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your opinion but Federal Mogul's website says they merged with Bower in 1955 and most industrial sites back in that era contained a lot of asbestos. I can tell you know quite a bit about FM and I'm not trying to get into a debate with you. Just trying to help this man's family.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5688
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.federal-mogul.com/e n/Investors/FinancialRestructu ring/ReferenceMaterial/Asbesto sPrimer

Chalkeyfinder

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to give everyone a bit more information, this family is not trying to blame FM for causing all types of cancer. This gentleman died from mesothelioma. They only medically accepted cause is asbestos.

Chalkeyfinder

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, this is not a direct attack on FM. It's simply for information about which manufacturers had their products inside the plant and if anyone remembers Mr. Chalkey

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.