Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » D.E.A.is on tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new TV reality series D E A debuts on Spike TV tonight. The series follows DEA agents as they make drug busts in the metro detroit area. Gee first "Animal Cops" now "DEA". I wonder if this is what Governor Jennifer Grandstand had in mind when giving her blessing for tax breaks to those who film movies here? Maybe they will have a Kwame reality series next year. I wonder what the title of that show would be?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful advertising for our state.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Detroit police officer once told me that the show COPS came to Detroit once, but never again. When they came, they had all their equipment stolen while out on a run shooting the police in action. Bad enough: The equipment was stolen from out of the back of a police cruiser. Worse: the COPS producers were pretty sure it was the police who had stolen the equipment.

True story.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to Howard Stern yesterday and he was interviewing Al Roker. Al is who produced this D.E.A series. He said they were embedded with D.E.A. agents for 6-8 months and followed them on drug busts in Detroit and some of the footage is the first of it's kind ever filmed. The NY Times reviewed it and gave it a very good rating claiming it was like a real life version of "The Wire". Should be good watching.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not surprised at all. D-town has always had a street rep sort of aura surrounding it. Even in the old gangster movies on TCM when a hit man is needed they always sent word to Detroit for hired "torpedo".

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can anything with Al Roker be good?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NY Times review is mediocre at best ~ NYT

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

friend was popped a few weeks ago for "possession". dbn hgts police said "take us to your dealer so we can let this crew film the raid and we'll go easy on ya" ol' boy sung sweet as a spring canary! true story.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree Lilpup. Bushay, where's the good rating you speak of?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those programming their VCRs, it runs from 11:00 PM to midnight tonight. Spike is channel 57 on my Comcast cable. YMMV

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I agree Lilpup. Bushay, where's the good rating you speak of?

I'm sorry. I was just going by what Roker had said in the interview. [HE] claimed on the program that the NY Times had given the program a pretty good rating. I didnt take the time to read the article personally.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha. Thanks!

Al Roker and Hillary Clinton seem to have gone to the same storytelling class.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4984
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. 12 minutes 'til air time.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that opening monologue was awful for the city

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boy, we're watching it.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found the article in yesterday's NYT. Here's about half the article. Not exactly a glowing review.

[start paste]

By NEIL GENZLINGER
Published: April 2, 2008
Poor Detroit. First the scandal and resulting criminal charges involving the city’s mayor, and now “DEA,” the new Spike TV series that begins on Wednesday.

It follows a unit of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Detroit division, and here is how the opening narration sets the scene: “Half a million guns loose on the street. The highest murder rate in the country. It is a deadly city that the D.E.A.’s Group 14 calls home.” Not the kind of thing the city’s tourism bureau would put on a billboard.

The program, somewhat incongruously, is produced by Al Roker Entertainment — yes, the jolly weatherman — and that’s about the most interesting thing to be said about it.

[end paste]

(Message edited by ptero on April 02, 2008)

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.E.A. is going to further advance the national media's self created narrative that Detroit is a cesspool of crime and is rotten. A show like this only further convinces people in places from coast to coast (especially those who don't know much about the city and/or haven't visited) that Detroit compares to Baghdad.
While it may at first seem cool to have a film crew in the city I don't think this will be good for Detroit. The show is not out to show Detroit as an improving city or showcase the positive aspects of the city. In fact, the show will show the nation the worst aspects of the city and it's already clear the producers are spinning the "bad Detroit" storyline to boost their ratings and attract attention. They will continually create trumped up claims of Detroit's problems to make their show appear tougher and more risque.

I hope the show also includes positive Detroit segments but this sounds to me like another national media outlet coming in and broadcasting to the nation another crime ridden Detroit storyline.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been an hour and I've decided that it's mostly boring. The narrative seems to be trying too hard, and it's the same old, "I took a bad guy off the street" theme. It probably won't be considered "stay home and watch" tv.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in case you missed it and want to check it out, it airs again at a more convenient time: 11:00AM Saturday.

It thought it was almost a COPS/The First 48 hybrid. I was shocked that they made so many deals with criminals to move up the chain.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fell asleep. Missed it.

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemokey

trust me, you didn't miss anything!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think it was so bad, it wasn't action packed by any means. It was also interesting to see the areas where they do the drug bust.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever seen "The First 48" on A&E? The First 48 follows detectives in cities on the 1st 48 hours of a homicide. This series also has had Detroit cases.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, but thats good television, I enjoy watching the detectives do their jobs to solve the cases...

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 337
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In general, true crime TV shows are my favorite to watch. After that comes fake crime TV, like CSI.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.