Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Stock Exhange « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DSE

I think we should have a stock exchange, maybe turn the MCS into the new Detroit Stock Exchange. Does anyone remember this operating and/or being here?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you even care about the actual residents of this city that you profess to love, or are you just interested in pretty buildings and monuments?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Physical trading floors are a thing of the past. Almost every exchange is 100% electronic now.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like pretty buildings and monuments

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I care of the residents. I'm just dreaming. Shesh give me a break. I just thought it was interesting that Detroit once had a stock exchange. According to your profile name you only care about the Great Lakes. Don't tell me I don't care about the residents. But if Detroit wants to be a world class city we need world class people and a world class feel. Mbr: I know, i think thats sad.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because I post two threads about buildings and monuments doesn't mean I don't care about the residents. This just means I have many ideas in my head about Detroit's skyline image. But I do have ideas about Detroit's residential image, I'll do a thread about that next.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn Greatlakes, nothing like shooting down a newbie for your own thrills.

Not every discussion here has to be about the plight of the Detroit residents, even though that topic is important. But it belongs in another thread. Dtowncitylover clearly cares about the city and is pointing out an interesting bit of architecture that might be otherwise unnoticed by -- yes -- the Detroit residents themselves. Consequently they might see this and it might make them care that much more about their city.

Anyway, can't we have a bit of fun? Sometimes its nice to dream and reminisce in the midst of an awful economy and a damaging mayoral scandal.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on April 02, 2008)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 599

I remember every day as a child, my Grandfather would come to our house with donuts from the bakery. Some days, he'd take me to Birmingham to watch the stock ticker.

He'd let me drive the car on Maple Rd. Once, he was driving too fast while I was steering and a cop pulled us over. The officer said I was a better driver than my Grandpa!

I've never heard of the Detroit Stock Exchange. But the idea is DOA in this era of consolidation.

(edited: grammar)

(Message edited by jrvass on April 02, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5709
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There once was a time for Detroit to have a stock exchange. Those days ended over thirty years ago. Most of its listings died decades ago.

Detroit Stock Exchange--A local mart with National Service

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the pictured building well. Didn't know you can still see the 'Bull and Bear' sculpture at 150 Jefferson. Thanks for the link.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't you need a strong financial district to receive a stock exchange?

Detroit hasn't had one for decades...

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. When me and my aunt were on the people mover, we came to the "Financial District" stop. She said, "Financial District? What Financial District. Detroit has a financial district?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised it hasn't been converted into a church like the majority of other Detroit banking structures...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at OLDE Discount Stockbrokers on Griswold in the early 90's, but they were corrupt, so I got the heck outta there. They eventually went out of business due to all the lawsuits.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Detroit have any major brokers left downtown?

A friend worked at Morgan Stanley when they were on Fort Street. For years they had a satellite office in Birmingham for clients who did not want to travel all the way downtown to meet with their brokers. Then recently, in either 2005 or 2006, the company decided to move everyone up there and to close their Fort Street offices.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building above has since been destroyed and now 150 West Jefferson, I think.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 984
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the old stock exchange was consumed by the Madden Building. part of the old building was reused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1 50_West_Jefferson

Greatlakes

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this in Dtowncitylover's other thread just in case someone misses it:

Dtowncitylover, I never said you didn't care about the actual residents. I asked whether you did since in the midst of our very real problems such as the latest graduation numbers from DPS, the economy and housing crisis, and of course the mayor himself, you post about building a Greek goddess monument to the 1967 riot and turning the MCS into a stock exchange, which reminds me of people I've known who are (understandably) enchanted by the mythos of Detroit without actually remembering that this urban "blank slate" is still home to 900,000 people who have to live, work, and make do with what they have. Thus, they gush over old pictures/videos and "urban exploration," downplay crime that residents have to deal with, and ignore the messier issues facing Detroit like its poor schools and the condition of its neighborhoods away from the landmarks.

So take my statement as it was meant to be, not an insult towards you but just a reminder that Detroit is more than just an urban planner's hypothetical playground.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Greatlakes. I had missed that.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the linked Wikipedia article, they mention some architectural elements from the DSE building are on the exterior of 150 Jefferson. If that article is correct, I'll have to take another look next time. Don't ever recall seeing them there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6612
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatlakes... I still don't get what your complaining about... Did you read the heading of this thread.... it says "DETROIT STOCK EXCHANGE"... That would tend one to guess that it has nothing to do with the plight of the residents of Detroit... which as has often been stated... is nobody's business of anyone who doesn't live in Detroit (i.e. the DPS board takeover fiasco).

So if you want to talk about Detroit's problems... go start a Detroit's problems thread or find one of many already opened.

Just don't start jumping down peoples throat by threadjacking and telling them that there's more important fish to fry...

And yes some of us will continue to gush over old photos and videos... especially when it is the subject of the thread title.

As for Detroit's neighborhood problems... Detroiter's seem to want outsiders to butt out... so that's why I and many others aren't going near that issue.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I joined DetroitYES was because someone sent me the link to the old buildings. Does everything have to be gloom and doom or can we reminisce once in a while?

Marauderkev
Username: Marauderkev

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody.
I'm a first timer here.
Found this site from James Howard Kunstler's site. You're on his favourites list so I had to see what a sarcastic bastard like him saw in your city. This was a week ago and I have spent literally hours on this site taking the tours and reading postings in the forum. WOW Lowell!! What a stupendous site this is! I haven't been through Detroit in about 3 years now, and I always wondered about the things I've heard about your city (most of them bad) but looking at this site, I'm ready to pull up stakes and move there!! So Mr Greatlakes, when somebody dreams about improvements to your city, whether it be a stock exchange or an Eiffel Tower, I'd be giving him/her acclaims and not criticism. And Mr Gistok, us outsiders WANT to know about your neighbourhood problems. Who knows...maybe we can help.
I would be

Greatlakes

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough, Gistok. I feel you are reading too much into my "jumping down someone's throat" as opposed to the original tone of my question that I had intended and further explained in my subsequent post. In hindsight, my original question should have gone in the monument thread which had similar replies in tone to what I intended. Either way, the point still stands. Of course it's fine to reminisce and learn about Detroit's architectural history, etc. but I've seen far too many people (again understandably) become enamoured with old photos, abandoned landmarks, and sheer statistics/history, that they treat Detroit as if it were just a huge sociology experiment that can be fixed with a huge skyscraper downtown without addressing the actual issues of the city. However, you're right that this particular discussion doesn't belong here.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6614
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't read the other thread until after this one Greatlakes, so I wasn't aware of that discussion...
no problem! :-)

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the site, Marauderkev. As an outsider, you will find plenty to learn about the city from this forum.

Having grown up and lived in the Detroit metro area, the site not only keeps me posted on the latest, but also fills in a lot of gaps about the city I experienced living there but didn't really understand at the time, ie. this thread on the Detroit Stock Exchange building which I passed by everyday while working at the Ponchartrain in the early 80s yet never really knew its story. Cheers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.