Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Residential image « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So apparently to GreakLakes, I don't care about the residents of Detroit. While the residents of Detroit made a blind error by electing the KK again, all they can do is wait for the next election, recall him, or wait for him to thrown into jail. While I applaud him for the building of new townhouses and some homes, some of these residential complexes are too much for Detroit residents to move into. Block after block I see large grassy lots where proud homes once stood. This makes me sick. Corktown is experiencing some of what Detroit needs: more family-friendly HOMES (or HOUSES, if you prefer). Not townhouses or condos that run $500,000. If you want to attract more people INTO the city, there needs to be more homes. A better, more equiped and larger police force is also needed. A reality check to the city's residents is also in order also. Residents, if they had civil pride, would treat their city with respect and care, which I don't see. Detroit used be one of the only metropolitan cities where one could live IN the city and have a spacious backyard. Well that's my thought.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow down Dtowncitylover, there is plenty of empty housing stock in the city already. The last thing we need is the city to subsidize or build more homes in the middle of a housing collapse and falling housing prices. Everything will come in due course, what we need most now is to create density and to encourage people to move back into the city of detroit. This means offering a diversity of housing stock that attracts all different types of people (i.e., people who want homes, condos, lofts, apartments, etc.)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, don't take too much offense from Greatlakes or anyone else here. Lotsa newbies get the harsh treatment but you've shown that you do indeed care about the city -- its people AND its architecture. Greatlakes isn't much of a veteran him/herself, either. Neither am I, but I've been around long enough to see that those who get all wrapped up in petty disputes don't last too long. Just keep professing the 'love' and keeping the faith.

Detroit -- where the weak are killed and eaten.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need people who would be willing to fix up a home and the city should demolish those houses that are far from fixing, then let developers build on them. One thing that Detroit doesn't have, that cities like Chicago have, are centralised "downtown" corners in each neighborhood. Or do they? Someone give me feedback on this.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown...while more houses are needed, I think what Detroit needs is a mixed variety of townhomes, high-rises and single family homes.

The name of the game is density. In order to have a more viable city center, you need people living downtown to support the business that are open down there past 5. To that extent, what is currently taking place downtown with the loft conversions and town homes...is a relatively good thing. It usually starts downtown...then the density spreads to other areas, thats essentially how a city grows to begin with. Density downtown...housing stock and density increase with expansion, thus eliminating sprawl.

Great Topic though!

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Detroit is getting Baltimore-style brickrow houses. If this is so, where are they? I would really love them to build such type of house.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, first thing we need to continue doing is being ourselves and not compare our city and region to others, like chicago.

This area has been experiencing growth and we need to recognize that be patient and build upon what we already have.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, and being ourselves is great, but it seems like there is so little pride in our city from residents and Metro Detroiters. I just wish residents and suburbanites alike would rebuild their city.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Residents, if they had civil pride, would treat their city with respect and care, which I don't see.

What is civil pride?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said you didn't care about the actual residents. I asked whether you did since in the midst of our very real problems such as the latest graduation numbers from DPS, the economy and housing crisis, and of course the mayor himself, you post about building a Greek goddess monument to the 1967 riot and turning the MCS into a stock exchange, which reminds me of people I've known who are (understandably) enchanted by the mythos of Detroit without actually remembering that this urban "blank slate" is still home to 900,000 people who have to live, work, and make do with what they have. Thus, they gush over old pictures/videos and "urban exploration," downplay crime that residents have to deal with, and ignore the messier issues facing Detroit like its poor schools and the condition of its neighborhoods away from the landmarks.

So take my statement in the other thread as it was meant to be, not an insult towards you but just a reminder that Detroit is more than just an urban planner's hypothetical playground.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GreatLakes: Sometimes you have to take a step back from problems and just have fun. Apparently all we can talk about is KK, blight, and depopulation, and graduation rates. Detroit is always pictured as the crime, murder, and poverty capital of America to foreigners. Why can't just for once, think of Detroit as a city Rome or Athens was when they ruled over the world? Let's just forget for a moment what we have to deal with and dream of a better, greater Detroit. I understand where your coming from, but why have such an attitude? If you have nothing good to say, don't say it at all or be critical and be honest. I'm just fleeing from reality for a moment. And the Greek women, not goddess, statue was totally me hyped up in the moment, i don't know remember what i was thinking, I still think it sounds cool.

D_mcc

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, because some of us are involved in the hands on ways of rebuilding and resurrecting Detroit. There are things that work, and things that don't.

You can't just take the "best parts" of other cities and try to make something. You end up with china, or dubai...or disneyworld, where everything feels fake and staged.

Each city has it owns urban character and urban fabric that makes a city unique in and of itself. We should take cues from the great things that our city has to offer, and build and expand on those in due time, so that Detroit can be just as much of a destination city as New York and Chicago...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before we do anything else, we need to clean up our city leadership.

Revamp City Hall, city council, Wayne County offices, school board, etc. I like the new superintendent and believe she has many good ideas that need to be implemented, but the school board is an embarrassment to humanity.

Even these morons could be more successful if their was more structure, oversight, and demand by the residents. Changing the structures of these entities would be huge - and of course electing some new leaders would help

D_mcc

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is JUST like athens and rome...

Shells of their former glory, full of crime, poverty, corruption...those cities...while they seem great and what not, aren't the idillic places you see on the travel channel.

Same with chicago, LA, NY...there are places in those cities that are absolute HOLES...just like detroit....Every city has its pros and cons..

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South side Chicago=most of Detroit. There's so much Detroit could do, but such an ineffective city government to bring projects to completion.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad Detroit doesn't have the same problems as LA, NY, and Chicago to be honest. In Detroit I hate to admit it, but I feel safer here than any of those cities.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is just like Athens and Rome?

Really? Seriously? Shells of their former glory?

I haven't been to Athens so I can't speak for it but Rome has new construction going up all over the city and around it, including some world class architecture. It's building new metro lines. It has grown by 200,000 people in 5 years. Yes there's crime, poverty and corruption but the worst areas are far better off and safer than in Detroit. I've been to some of those worst areas. They're not that bad.

Like Dtowncitylover said, the worst areas of Chicago, New York and LA are magnified all across Detroit.

Bragaboutme, the opposite is true of people from those cities who come to Detroit. It's all about point of view. I think we're more comfortable with the emptiness while others from those more vibrant cities get spooked by it. And we, at home in the emptiness, feel uncomfortable in really bustling areas that are supposedly unsafe neighborhoods.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some residents (not all) need to learn that trash in lots and in the streets is not acceptable. That it is ok to plant flowers in front of your home and to sweep the curb and cut and trim the grass. That there is nothing wrong with picking up trash and not throwing trash on the ground. That cars are to be parked on the streets and not on our lawns. That our children are watching us and are already doing the things they see us do. Teach them that the city was once beautiful and can return to its former glory. Just like in education, reach one ,teach one. It starts with us, one home and then one block at a time. Thank you for reading my venting babble.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub- I want you to seriously consider running for public office. On the eastside there are a couple of seats that would benefit from a man of your background and vision.

Don't think I'm yanking your leg. I'm serious.

That Lamar Lemmons family of fools is an embarrassment ... Lemmons jr followed his son, Lamar III, into office based solely on name recognition.

I'm not sure if you're in the Lemmons district, but you can find out by going to HERE.

If we know anything about Detroit politics, name recognition is mighty important and the best way to get it, is to run for office. Granted, it would be best if your last name was Conyers or Young or Kilpatrick, but if you don't have a Golden Last Name, it can be created by running for office.

Moreover, not every campaign has to be a winning one to be a winner. What I'm saying, running for office once primes you to run for office the next time.

I think you might be able to find some help around this site to lend a hand.

--
EDIT: get a load of this clown's non-voting record HERE

(Message edited by gnome on April 03, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gnome,
I have been considering running for public office. Mostly City Council but as a Rep. I might consider also. The Representative in my district(4) is Coleman Young II. I should move a few blocks north. Then I would be able to run against Mr. Lemmons. Who seems to think he can pick and choose what he votes on. What could possibly keep him from not voting in that many?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City COuncil think is a tough nut because of the size of the City. It takes either deep pockets or a known name to crack it. A State Rep district is different. You can walk it in a week.

The confusing part with the Lemmons clan, is that are three of them. Lemmons jr, who is the father, Lemmons III, who is the son and Lamar Lemmons who is the grandson but not the son of III. jeeze.

The general election is this fall, the primary is in August, but I believe the filing date is in May.

Think fast.

Cub

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10-4

(Message edited by cub on April 03, 2008)

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover wrote:

"One thing that Detroit doesn't have, that cities like Chicago have, are centralised "downtown" corners in each neighborhood."

Dtowncitylover, please tell me more about these "downtown" corners in Chicago.

I think Detroit has such places, but there are no businesses (or only marginal ones) in these places and many buildings have been demolished/burned down. Do you live in the metro area? If you ride down Grand River Avenue, from the city limits to downtown, you will see three large neighborhood commercial districts - one centered at Lahser Road, one centered at Greenfield, and one centered at Oakman Boulevard.

It would be cool to see their areas revitalized, but its going to take a drastic decrease in crime, repopulation, improvement in schools, and the rise in LEGAL entreprenuership to get these commercial areas back.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have encountered a strange mentality by some in some areas of the city. Apparently, some people do not keep up their properties because of a perceived risk of standing out to criminals. By keeping a run down looking house, you blend in with the rest of the neighborhood. I do understand people not wanting to spend the time and effort landscaping in some areas, as landscaping items, and some of the more expensive plants don't always last to long.

I don't support that belief. It just seems like that other side of this issue is all to often overlooked.

Cub

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not directed at you Sean, but thats a bunch of bs, at least in my neighbourhood. We have a couple guys who we know will strip a house or take certain things. How is having a clean sidewalk and curbside or flowers attracting crime. I see more people putting out thier big plasma tv boxes and playstation 3 boxes for trash. To me that would attract crime. I believe people are used to filth and they see the City isn't cleaning the properties they own also the state and county. That and the fact some enters are horrible.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masterblaster: If you've ever taken the El in Chicago, particularily the Red Line, there is a stop called Belmont (the stop where my sister works). At the stop there are tons of shops, restaurants, and other businesses. In my sister's neighborhood of Rogers Park, she has a "downtown" corner called Jarvis Square with a greasy spoon, a pub, a bistro, a laundry place, and other things. I don't see that in Detroit. And yes, I do live in the Metro area and try to visit Detroit regularily but have other constraints. I'm not saying they never had them, I think they did, but I would love to see that developed which would revitalize parts of the city.

Cub

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Dtown,
No more dollar stores or metro pcs' or insurance agencies. I would like to see more cafes and bookstores.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Cub, exactly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.