Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid » Archive through April 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some toys from when I was a kid. One was some kind of lego bricks, not legos, they were red and didn't stick together as much as they just stacked and looked like red bricks on houses. Another was this thing called a Big Ear I think, looked like a satilite dish that you used to listen in on what other were saying. Rubber balls that looked like hardballs, white, we used to play strike-out against a building or curb ball in the streets of Dearborn and Allen Park.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked toy cars, I had matchboxes, the plastic Amloids and Gay Toy vehicles, and dealer promos. I was building MPC and AMT car kits by age 9. The one non automotive toy I had and enjoyed very much was my Hop-A-Roo.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had lots of matchboxes, used to take one once in awhile and hit it with a hammer like is was in an accident and they study it from all angles to try to understand what happened. weird

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Weeble Wobbles, and I had this toy I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was family of little animals (something like squirrels-I forget) that lived in a cloth house in the shape of a log. The log velcroed shut, and you could open it and arrange the furniture inside for the animal family to live. Anyone remember this toy and what it was called? I also loved my Pogo Ball and Hello Kitty

Cambrian

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I had a similar fascination with twisted metal. Do you remember that metal sculpture at the DIA that was all wrecked car fenders? I could have stared at that for hours. I would leave my cars out on the street and watch them get flattened. I also had a process for making my model cars look like they'd been in a horrific crash. Boiling water was the key. On your other thread about slot cars. Check out Larry's Performance RC in Sterling Heights, he has a slot car track.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Woodseys! man, I have been trying to remember that for years

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some favorite toys too. Hot wheels, op-yops, spirographs, dino the punching bag, but I liked my ding-a-ling best.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shrinky dinks?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5916
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had this very early "video game" thing. It ran on a ton of C batteries. it was pretty much all mechanical. These planes were flying by on tracks, and you had to shoot a missle up. If the missle hit a plane, somehow the thing knew and flashed and your score ticked up a few points. It made a ton of noise because of all the gears. I really wish I had that still, it was something else.

I also had a baseball type game that was based on LEDs. Weird.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pretty excited when Super Balls came out. I wanted to drop one off the top of the Ren Cen to see if it would rebound higher than the tower. Never did get to test this theory.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paper dolls. Had all kinds of different sets of them. Mostly the movie stars, Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor, Marylin Monroe, etc. A beautiful blue and white China tea set. I only have the tea pot, lid, and a saucer left and it sits on a shelf in my kitchen now. A bride doll, that I still have. My 1953 American Flyer train set that I still have and it works. Had a hula hoop too!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 983
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I will tell you a true story that will make you even sadder about your lost toys.

I had a co-worker once whose husband was a little obsessive about things. he was in a specialized sports field and she told me that he always bought two copies of magazines in his field - one to read and one to put away untouched.

He was an only child and he had saved all his childhood toys. They were in his mother's house, all in the original boxes. His toys would date from the 1950's and I can't remember the list, but I thought how much DuMouchelle's would like them - Mr. DuMouchelle once told me that Baby Boomers want all their old toys back.

Once when they needed a new furnace and didn't have enough money, he sold off one or two toys and paid for the new furnace. This was before the internet, when people still had to use catalogs and ads to sell things.

So, why didn't we save our toys?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5920
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars- 12-Back-Jawa-Vinyl-Cape-AFA-80 -Punched_W0QQitemZ150231568538 QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50270QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m

You could have this $5,000 Star Wars figure.

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shrinky Dinks. Holy crap, I loved those...even though they never came out right.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My toys were all used pretty hard, nothing to save really.

Wonder what "punched" means JL and why it adds to the price so much?

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember this game?

mille bornes

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5922
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Cam. Clearly it is some sort of Star Wars toy collector lingo that a normal human could never comprehend.

Mille Bornes rules, I have it. Just picked up Water Works off ebay too. Been playing it the last few days.

http://richard_wilding.tripod. com/waterwrules.htm

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bongman, I had an op-yop but can't remember what it was. I just remember the name. Was it the two balls that clanged together or the sideways yo-yo thing. Please enlighten.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have fond memories of a red metal gasoline can, a zippo, and a bloated dead cat I found on 13 mile road. Also, my dad's Playboys he always hid under his bed, an old telescope that I used to look into the Gatward girls' windows next door, and about a dozen ninja throwing stars.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were all sorts of weird games, or games that are out now but have been modified.

Mouse Trap was my favorite. Sometimes I'd just set up the "mouse trap" and let it go. (It was basically a Rube Goldberg "machine" with enough little pieces to choke 15 5-year-olds.) We had the Game of Life back when it was based on true avaricious American culture. (Now it's been gussied up into some socially responsible game that's totally boring.) We had the Rockem-Sockem-Robots and Tinkertoys and an, um, Erector Set, and something called Gnip-Gnop. We even had a weird board game based on the television show "Dark Shadows," which I've never heard of since.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and, neat thread. Thanks, Little Buddy!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my sister had the dark shadows game! you had to spin a spinner and then reach into a casket and pick the correct part of a skeleton. the catch was you had to start at the skull and work your way down. you couldnt start with a femur and add to it...

i have (still) 4 all steel tonka trucks, the game of life, the game of happiness, sub search (a 3 dimensional version of battleship) and a million matchbox and hot wheels cars...

i had a plastic Marx brand M-1 garand rifle that had little red plastic bullets but i didnt ever fire any of them for some reason...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's all on ebay:
http://toys.listings.ebay.com/ Matchbox_Vintage-Pre-1970_W0QQ fclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ19046QQ socmdZListingItemList

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ltdave. Thanks for jogging my memory! Those skeletons were so cool ...

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave-
Zat you, Dell?

Jack from Pt. Hope & BWSA

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6613
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those red brick building toys that didn't stick well together were known as AMERICAN BRICKS...

Another popular construction building toy was the KENNER GIRDER & PANEL SET:

And then there was America's most popular building toy, as seen in this 1961-65 LEGO TOWN PLAN SET:

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Buddy,

I too spent hours playing curb ball and strike out. Played strike out in a doctors office parking lot with a tennis ball, but played in the backyard with a wiffle ball. You could really throw some wicked curves with that wiffle ball. Played 500 too.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had an Art Linkletters surrey with the fringe on top. I was the hit of the neighborhood.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 982
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aurora slot cars, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightnin, and GI-Joe.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)