Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Vegetarian Restaurant « Previous Next »
Archive through April 04, 2008Norwalk30 04-04-08  2:54 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don’t forget tempeh, Gravitymachine!

I’ve been a vegetarian for 12 years, or so. I really like Cass Café, and Inn Season just rocks. Most Thai places have tasty veggie and tofu options, and there’s a couple of good places in Detroit. And Gandhi’s on Conant has really good Indian food, and they're very veggie-friendly.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited Goldengate once last summer. Food was good and they served homemade jamaica, which was delicious on a hot night. Service was kind of chaotic and it seemed like a pretty loosey-goosey kind of operation, but the advantages are being able to eat outside in a tree fort or by a bonfire.

For additional thrills, take a nighttime bicycle ride to the ghetto that awaits at the opposite end of Goldengate or one block north.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Indian place on Monroe downtown (or any other Indian for that matter)? I liked that place, and I know a lot of veggie Indians.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might not be up for the drive, but Seva in Ann Arbor is on par with Inn Season in Royal Oak as the best all-vegetarian restaurant in Metro Detroit.

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Cafe has an excellent lentil burger, also mentioned was the Red Star Chinese restaurant in Dearborn. It's the BEST Chinese food I have ever had and the meatless meat is awesome, they'll substitute it in anything. If you don't mind eating at chain restaurants, Red Robin will substitute a Boca Burger for any of their regular burgers. Glad to see vegetarian cuisine going more mainstream.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge

It was a joke, relax. I don't care what anyone eats. I just like that commercial and try to exclaim "Get me a whopper" as much as possible.

If it's any consolation, I don't even like Whoppers. I'd much rather get an Avocado Delight from Goodwells next to Avalon.

But just for you, since you don't like humor, I'll post it in the "grumpy humorless connections" thread next time.

(Message edited by jeduncan on April 04, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5998
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll post it in the "grumpy humorless connections" thread next time.

Must be one of those Karl threads on the non-detroit side.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been a vegetarian for most of my life and it's true that there are many more options now than there were when i was little. people have already mentioned a bunch of my favorite local options on this thread, but i wanted to add
russell street deli in eastern market - great vegetarian sandwiches and soups. they're only open for lunch and saturday breakfast, though. my favorite is inn season. YUM!! especially delicious for sunday brunch.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Johnlodge's complaint wasn't so much that he doesn't like humor, but that the joke wasn't that funny. No hard feelings though I'm sure!

The Bronx bar on 2nd in midtown has a good, if not exactly mind-blowing, vegetarian sandwich. Also, you can get some nice meatless pupusas at El Comal and the other pupusa place on Vernor in Mexicantown. There are a lot of options out there. Middle Eastern food is good too.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also the Sprout House on Kercheval in Grosse Pointe Park, if you are in the area. It's a natural food market/deli. It's pretty wonderful.

And last time I was there, they were serving the sandwiches on Avalon bread. Gotta love that! ;)

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Great American Meatout is this weekend in Ferndale: http://vegmichigan.org/meatout /index. I went veggie after attending this event 3 years ago (watch a few of the PETA videos on display, you'll have no trouble giving up meat...)

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Seva. Hands down my favorite place to eat. At least for now.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldengate has character. Great local music on Friday night. Doctor Bob pays for music even if the crowd is tiny. Very spiritual place.

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Vegetarians! Cool places to eat in Detroit
1. Russell Street Deli (Eastern Market District)
2. Old Country Buffet
3. Piper's Restaurant (Downriver)
4. Big Bear Lodge (Downriver)

Check out this website for a menu at Russell Street Deli

http://goodfelloweb.com/detroi t/emark/rus.html

Russell Street Deli 2465 Russell, Detroit, MI
Favorite is the Avocado Sandwich $5.25. Tastes like your eating a health sandwich. Very, Very fresh.

Old Country Buffet - Nice selection of sides and veggies. "Build Your Own Salad Bar"

Piper's Restaurant 25418 Telegraph Flatrock, MI
Order their Vegetable Plate $5.49. It's a big platter of steamed vegetables(Yummy). Vegetables in this dish are served by what's in season. Some of the veggies that were in my platter were broccoli, yellow squash, bell peppers, string beans, mushrooms, corn and caulifower-just to name a few (smile)

Check out this website for Big Bear Lodge: http://www.bigbearlodge.org/

Big Bear Lodge 25253 Telegraph Road, Wyandotte, MI
Had their Classic Caesar Salad ($9.75) large platter (yum) and Chef's Vegetable Choice ($3.25) small plate. Combining the two dishes are great together. Ask the waitress to grind fresh black pepper to it. Also their House Bread is sooo good.

It's just so delicious. It's a long wait to be seated (about 30-45 min), but worth the wait. Large crowd. They have a bar as well.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6033
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cool places to eat in Detroit

quote:

2. Old Country Buffet

Come on now. :-)

Jazzylinn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes believe it or not Johnlodge their vegetables available are always good. Steamed well. Sometimes it's hard to find vegetarian restaurants when you are with carnivores.

They Loveee buffets. You can't lose when their are an abundant of sides to choose from that do not include meat.
Jaz

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5971
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:41 am:
"Why do some people feel the need to rag on vegetarians? Why the hell do you care what other people eat? Already on this thread, Ongowah and Jeduncan felt the need to grace us with their amazing little quips, rather than just skipping by a thread that does not interest them. Very strange".

Even stranger is you also posting reply that doesn't fit the category either....do as I say, not as I do, eh? Lighten up, it was a joke, or do you just search posts looking for replies that in your judgement don't fit the topic?

Jazzylinn

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. If you aren't a vegetarian why are you on here. It reminds me of chat rooms where people join in that have no interest in what that specific chat room is for. Basically, don't respond, just start your own thread.
jaz
ps - if you are offended then you are guilty

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6038
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ongowah's just whiney because he was unable to hold up his end on the Zoo thread.

Jazzylinn, exactly why I posted my post. My fiancee is a vegetarian, and some people ALWAYS have to make a comment about it. It just gets old after awhile, and one can't fathom the motivation. Ooh, somebody is slightly different in their eating habits! I must comment on it with something that only 10,000 people have probably said to them before.

All the veggies in the house know what I mean.

Jazzylinn

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Johnlodge I will have to try out Applebee's. Have been called too sensitive before, so please forgive me if I was too direct.
Jaz

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6039
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh sorry, I switched up my post. What I had said (that you are responding to) is that Applebee's has not one item on the menu without meat in it. I think even the salads all have meat in them!

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Hellas in Greektown had the best vegetarian grape leaves. Damn :-(

Lopsidedfrock
Username: Lopsidedfrock

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

royal indian cuisine in troy
kickass buffet, especially when i went this sunday

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to bump for Red Star in Dearborn. After my Sasha Farm buddies told me about it, it was over. Also, Orchid Thai is good .

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzylinn
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:54 pm:

"I agree. If you aren't a vegetarian why are you on here. It reminds me of chat rooms where people join in that have no interest in what that specific chat room is for. Basically, don't respond, just start your own thread.
jaz
ps - if you are offended then you are guilty"

I'm "on here" because the last time I checked it was an open forum, that's why. And I wonder why you too posted your response that had nothing to offer the initial topic. Are you not guilty also, or is it just those who YOU single out?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

applebees and old country buffett?! please don't insult us by posting any more mall parking lot restaurants in here

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are people who are interested in vegetarian restaurants who aren't vegetarians. Me, for instance. And it also seems useful to let people know about vegetarian options at non-veggie restaurants. So I don't see this as a thread for vegetarians only.

On the other hand, trolls aren't generally vegetarian, and in any case we know you shouldn't feed them, so maybe they could go someplace else.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an enthusiastic omnivore (who nonetheless find himself cooking veg or mostly-veg a significant fraction of the time), I still appreciate hearing about all these good veg choices, many of which I was not previously familiar with.

Until I had a vegan chocolate cake at Inn Season several years ago (and realized that Avalon's blueberry muffins, which I'd been enjoying for years, were vegan), I had no idea vegan baked goods could be so good! Who knew?! Not I, said the duck.

Jazzylinn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, I'm guilty (smile)

Hi Otter, that vegan chocolate cake at Inn Season sounds so good. Can't wait to check it out.

Have to try Avalon's Blueberry muffins too.

Jaz

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Veggie sandwiches in metro Detroit

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080320/ENT08/8 03200413

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone ever go to Ridley's Real Food on McNichols?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The treehouse has a great brunch buffet on Sunday.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure 'bout the old country buffet :-)
also, for the record, caesar salad has fish in the dressing (watch out!).

did anyone mention majestic cafe? they have some pretty good vegetarian options. and yes, applebees is absolutely the worst restaurant for vegetarians.

i think the desserts might even have meat in them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.