Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What's happening at Rafal Spice Co.? » Archive through March 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just in there and found it down to bare bones. Lots of spices out, and almost no coffee or tea. We asked if new stuff would be coming in, and the owner said vaguely, "Maybe next week." Does anyone know what's happening? It'd be a kick in the head to lose that place, especially with the Eastern Market about to renovate.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same experience, found it very odd. They told me they were expecting a truck in the next few days.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure they heard about Cindy's new store opening on Woodward. That place is going to be the death of Eastern Market.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same here. is it like that every winter? i wonder if they try to make it through the lean winter months without replenishing much stock.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - there's been a lot of un-substantiated generalizations on this board for the past three years, and this one ranks right up there:

"I'm pretty sure they heard about Cindy's new store opening on Woodward. That place is going to be the death of Eastern Market."

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you hear that the moon is made out of cheese? that'll put american dairy farmers out of work for sure!

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm pretty sure they heard about Cindy's new store opening on Woodward. That place is going to be the death of Eastern Market.

not a chance

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow - there's been a lot of un-substantiated generalizations on this board for the past three years, and this one ranks right up there:

And there are a ton of people on this forum who don't recognize a joke when they see it.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And there are a ton of people on this forum who don't recognize a joke when they see it."

Sorry, not all of us sit on here long enough each day to digest all the deep humor and subtle nuances of all the posters on this forum...

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not really that complex. Try and keep up junior.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you ask Don Rafal?

info@rafalspicecompany.com

This is one of my favorite stores in the entire MetroDet area!

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually did email them and didn't get a response. I was in there a couple of Saturday's ago and it looked like a fire sale. It was one of my fav stores too. I asked what was going on and one of the employees (not the owner) said "We're waiting for a shipment" I suspect someone has a debt or gambling problem and is being very cagey about the whole thing.

Who's Cindy and what's the deal with her store. Sink the Eastern Market? I think not.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12034
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larjmarj,

I'd not jump to any conclusions without enough data.

As far as I know, one of their owners passed away last year, and they suffered a loss due to scrappers...shut down for two weeks or more until the feed to that block could be repaired (don't know why the delay, but a DTE person in my building said at the time they were dangerously LOW on heavy-guage wire from all the stealing).

So, to jump to a conclusion based on the most base of mere human behavior is a wee bit premature, unless of course we're talking about the mayor.

Cheers, and the best of wishes for the Rafal company, also one of my favorites I've not been able to support the last five or six times I've been in because they were out of what I came in for...just from me alone they lost a hundred bucks or so of income...petty, I know, but people like me times a hundred starts to add up.

Rel

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the bins in the store are nearing empty, and we assume someone might have a gambling problem?

Seriously?

Larjmarj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they do come back, I just wish they would come clean as to what's actually going on.

I remember when the power was out..I didn't know it was on account of scrappers.

Like yourself, as much as I wanted to buy something while I was there they were out of what I was looking for. Even the "smell" was gone for the most part :-(

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I have to wonder if this board is some creative writing guru's assignment board.

Larjmarj

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My assumptions are based on the fact that someone is clearly not telling the truth when asked.

Now basically there are reasons why people lie about financial situations, usually it's an addiction of some sort.

Don Rafal looks a little old and fat for a meth problem so my speculation was drawn to something a little more age appropriate.

It's a little early for condescension isn't it?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12042
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, larj, you're earning it quite handily.

(welcome to the club)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon- Do you know whatt store is opening on Woodward? Who is this Cindy?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/zaccaros12708.asp x

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam- Thanks. Is that the Whole Foods Market that is supposed to open on Woodward? Or am i thinking about another market?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people are insane. Call Rafal and ask their hours. Take the time to stop in there. Stop making accusations and speculating on an internet forum.

Larjmarj

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did stop in there....

Don't worry no more speculation for me I'm only going to talk about puppies, kitties, rainbows and happy little clouds from now on.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ lol... you forgot unicorns and pixie dust too

Rel

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don Rafal looks a little old and fat for a meth problem"

Larjmarj, Welcome to the forum.

Don Rafal is a dear friend of mine, and one of the sweetest people I have the priviledge of knowing. Can you please be a little kinder when referring to him? I would hope that's nothing you would say to his face.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rafal spice is not only one of the best stores in EaStern Market, but one of the best stores in the entire city. It's GREAT. please stop with the damaging negative speculation until actual problems can be substantiated.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been to Rafal's, but after reading this thread I don't think I'll even waste my time going to check it out if they're always out of stock.

Larjmarj

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Rel, perhaps you can shed some light?

All I am saying is that there IS an obvious problem and when I have asked the staff as to what is going on I hear "We're waiting for a shipment". In the meantime there is less and less merchandise in the store. To the point where the last time I was in there, there was no coffee, tea or loose spices in any of the jars in the back of the store. Now wouldn't you pause, scratch your head and think that maybe "waiting for a shipment" might not be accurate information? In over 25 years of shopping there, I've never seen it like this.

Ok...now everyone take a deep breath and think about little lavender kitties sliding down a happy little rainbow.

Rel

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marj,

I'm not understanding the "waiting for shipment" excuse either, but I haven't had a chance to ask Don about it. I will, and if I get an answer, I will try my best to let everyone know.

However, not having an answer doesn't excuse public speculation like the owner having a drug/gambling/illness problem. And I try to follow the rule of not saying anything I wouldn't say to someone else's face. Maybe there is an explanation as simple as he is wanting to retire. You have no idea.

If I had heard you bounced a check, I wouldn't start spreading rumors that you are on the brink of bankruptcy, or had cancer, or was dealing with cocaine addiction. I'd patiently wait for an answer, or wonder in private, or flat-out ask you. But I wouldn't fire rumors with no factual basis and spout off personal attacks on your age/weight online.

I'll let you know if I learn anything substantial.

Sincerely,
REL

Larjmarj

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

REL, I only came here looking for answers and made the fatal error of speculating aloud in my original post. Subsequent efforts to clarify myself only seems to have backfired dug me in a little deeper.
I guess that makes me a bad person.

I'll check back to see if you find anything out.