Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid » Archive through April 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My folks saved all our big toys as kids, and as avid pack-rats they also saved the boxes. I just pulled a whole bunch of 70's era GI Joe stuff in original boxes out of my moms attic. Same thing with Fisher Price little people stuff.

Anyone else make tennis ball launchers out of metal tennis ball cans? Taped several cans together the squirted lighter fluid in a hole on the bottom, light the fuel, and launched a tennis ball like a bazooka.

I would also like to comment that new curbs aren't worth a crap for curb ball. They're too squared off to be of any use.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenner Girder and Panel set was amazing. The damn panels never stayed on though. I was always into building sets. AMT & Ertl model cars, lego, lincoln logs, construx, tinker toys or good old fashioned wood and nails. I could build a mean pinewood derby car. I used to insert the wheel pins into an axle of brass tube and grind up a bunch of pencil graphite to make sure it spun nice and easy.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56, thanks for the Thingmaker post! We had the Creepy Crawlers, Fun Flowers and Creeple Peeple. Only burned our fingers a couple of times and big deal, right? God, I love that toy. The smell of the Goop while cooking, and the sizzle of the plate touching the water to cool is a fond memory.

There was another molding toy that I had that you poured this cement-like stuff into and it made a little statue that you could paint. I think I remember that I had Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (sp).

Does anyone know what that was?

This is the kind of thread that I just love reading and the reason I came to DYes. Thanks, Little Buddy!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, do you live on Eastburn near Trix?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4983
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like to build things I would recommend http://www.activeworlds.com/.

I was so ravenously obsessed with Dr. Nim that I went on to generalize the algorithm to any number of marbles, whether the player who took the last marble won or lost, and even generalizing it to modulo n (Nim was stuck in modulo 4) -- all while in the fifth grade with zero encouragement from adults!

There's something magical, intrinsic in the human mind, predestined to understand absolutely anything. That's a beautiful thing.

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 03, 2008)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, the most fun toys we had were empty appliance boxes left for the garbage men. Man, you found one of those (or two was gold!) and you were happy for DAYS.

Cut windows, a door, crayon on some curtains and a house number outside, put it over an old rug from the house, whew...I want one.

We would also play in them like it was a tank. Hands and knees rolling down the street in a box. Yeah, we had imaginations, didn't we?

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DONT FORGET THE ONE THAT STARTED IT ALL! I bought with paper route money at 11 years old for the price of $129.00 from Fretter on Gratiot.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks-
I lived on Eastburn between Rex & Crusade from 1949 until 1966.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn,

Where is Rex and Crusade? My family had a house on Eastburn right near Trix school from the 40's til 1992. I wish I lived in it now, it was cute. Thanks for responding :-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were halfway between Gratiot & Kelly.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Eastburn.

I'm done thread-jacking now.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We neighborhood kids evolved from using cardboard appliance boxes to make forts,(which were good until it rained) to wooden windshield crates from the back alleys of collision shops along Gratiot in the D during the 60s.

We would lug them with our little red wagons down the alleys, until we collected 3 or 4 and used the family saw and hammers/nails to connect and stack them together. We then would cut openings in the sides to make entrances and exits. The largest fort we made was as high and long as our garage, using 8 of them.

Eastburn

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We found a Firebird 99 on Ebay & gave it to my 52 year old brother in law for Christmas. Just like the one he got when he was 6. You should have seen his face when he opened it. Well worth the exorbitant price.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woodburning art kit, or the blistermaker:

Whittier70

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had this too

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks - Oh yeah! The appliance boxes. Those were the best. Played in those for hours.

I forgot about a puzzle of the United States that I still have. Its from about 1952. That was my first experience with geography.

There are some pretty neat toys shown on here guys! Thanks for a great thread Little Buddy :-)

Whittier70

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier70

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier70

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Great stuff. We had both the American Red Bricks and the Girder and Panel sets. There were a few medical plazas(?)/buildings along Seven Mile that looked just like the girder and panel style. I'd build replicas.

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders-Field,
Yeah, we got our "tank-boxes" from Karras' and Son's Collision on Wilfred just off Gratiot and Joseph's Bros. Collision just across Gratiot from Bella's dry cleaners and Family Italian Restaurant and Lounge. Also, right across the street was Bob Foxes used car lot.

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had every ethnic G.I. Joe they had.
German, Japanese, Australian, French, British,
Russian. They would be worth a whole lot now.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier,

I have that Alvin & The Chipmunks record. It is locked away in a safe place. :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had legos, and LOTS of em.

best toy ever

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the Chatty Cathy doll. She survived for quite a few years, but her voice got lower and gravelly like she needed an exorcism.
Also, I had a collection of plastic dog figures that were from inside cereal boxes. They were of all different breeds and came in a silvery or a golden color of plastic. Does anyone else remember these, and what cereal they were in?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The green machine was a classic. It could reach serious speeds and make sharp turns.

Good fun for all!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas trees. I have a friend who, with his brothers, went up and down the streets and collected all the discarded christmas trees. They piled the trees up, up alongside the house and then jumped into the pile from the attic window. Mother was perfectly happy. Those were the days before helicopter parents. And if you had a lot of kids (not like now with only two) you could afford to lose one!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Mr. Hugo. It was a present from my grandparents. I used to take the plastic head and put it on top of the vent for my GFA Viewmaster Slide Projector and use it as an eerie nightlight.