Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Coming home « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. It is nice to be back in the forum. Nobody probably remembers me, but I was here years ago. Anyhow, I have a question. The military has brought me to Virginia, but I'd like to move back home. The only thing that is keeping me here is a job. I am an experienced Industrial Mechanic with a military background. Does anybody know where I can find a promising career in the Detroit area? Any and all help is appreciated.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to help DN. But we are scrounging here as it is.
Back in the 80's I told a guy in my prototype area not to rejoin the Navy as a simulator jockey.(as an ex-Navy person).

Four months later -

It turns out he got the same job back, in the same area as before, but through a major contractor at a 300% pay increase.
Shop around.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the few things that is expanding around here, is the Army's TACOM in Warren. Don't know if they're looking for anyone right now since their site appears to be FUBAR. A few of their contractors are opening up engineering and other offices in the area to be nearby. Don't know if they need any knuckledraggers.

ex-Navy knuckledragger

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnative - One of my nephews had to leave Michigan for work in Maryland. He had been in the military too. Trained in computers and with heavy equipment repair. The place he worked at around the Mt. Clemens area relocated overseas. He searched for a job in the Detroit area for over a year. Nothing. So he got this offer in Maryland, flew out for a look see, liked it and came home and packed up the wife and kids. They've been there almost a month now and they love it. He's working at job he enjoys. And his two brothers are also out of work and they're thinking of heading East too.

Its bad here. No jobs. My sister has been out of work for over 3 years now. She's had to use her 401(k) to stay afloat. And take any little jobs along the way that she could snag. She's got tons of experience in the automotive field and in architecture. There is nothing.

AND - get this - my brother and his wife had to move to California for work. They've been there over a year now. And they still have their paid for home out in Oakland county. Paying taxes on it and its just sitting there. They're renting a small house in Long Beach paying $1200.00 a month Rent. But they're making good money out there.

Its just a terrible thing that people born, raised, educated, and *used* to work in Michigan now can't find a job here.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's lots of jobs here in Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, there's not many GOOD jobs here in Las Vegas.

Nice to be retired, though.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie -
Funny, when I got out of the Navy I stayed in Long Beach for a couple of years (because of a girlfriend). Then I came back to Oakland/Macomb Counties because of the OPPORTUNITY!
Now I'm stuck here, even too poor to move where the skilled trades are needed.
Now, I look at the Orange/LA Co. Craigslist skilled trades out there, and wonder what could have been.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan ranks 51st for jobs which proves that Mississippi doesn't have to be at the bottom of every list.

Unemployment state by state http://money.cnn.com/pf/featur es/lists/state_unemployment/

The prairie and mountain states are doing great. Consider Bismarck.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze we're not that far ahead of ya. 48th whoopie. Appears my wife shouldn't have problems finding a waitress job up there. Restaurants are about the only thing hiring down here. Every one else doing major cutbacks.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome, I hope you can find your way back home Detroitnative. I don't know much about your line of work, but I'll really try and make some calls to friends and family this week, and see if they know of anything or can keep a look out.

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnative,
Do you have a clearance?

Check out here:
http://www.gdcareers.com/gdchq _jobs/main.cfm?pg=search&view= list

General Dynamics is looking to fill positions in Detroit.

If you fill one of the slots let me know, I can get credit for filling it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.