Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rock shows at Ford Auditorium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the talk on the other thread about the demolition of Ford Aud got me to thinking about some of the great concerts I saw there. King Crimson, Roxy Music, Queen with Kansas are a few that come to mind.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We saw the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem there. Not rock, but a great show.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roxy Music was the best that I saw there in 1973 - Stranded tour. They played with another British band - The Sharks. They came back a year later for the Country Life tour.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Austin you were lucky to see them on those two tours...

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also saw them at Cobo when the Siren album came out. Guess you can tell I am a big Roxy Music fan. Detroit was one of the places they always played because there was such a huge number of fans here.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have a picture of the inside of Ford Auditorium? I have never seen the inside of it, and likely won't

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4264
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Roxy at the Masonic Temple. With Link Wray. Amazing show.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite show at Ford Auditorium was the Patti Smith Group's "Horses" show, with Be Bop Deluxe opening. Lester Bangs from Creem sat right in front of us. WABX played PSG continually that year. My HS graduation was held there in 1974. Patti was great that night in '75 but terrible a year later in Ypsilanti.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first time I saw the Jefferson Airplane was at the Ford Aud. in '67. Other shows I recall there are Peter Frampton, the music of Olivier Messiaen with the composer seated a row behind me, Roy Buchanan/Brian Auger, Capt. Kangaroo/Bob Keeshan at a Young People's concert, The Irish Rovers. They used to have the Cinema Canada shows there during the Freedom Festivals with the excellent animation shorts. I'm probably forgetting as much as I'm remembering.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Zappa

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to say that was one of the few concert venues in the area that I never went to.
Wasn't it supposed to have perfect acoustics?
And how long has it been closed? And it's not possible to refurbish? (just the parking problem, I know).

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodney Dangerfield in 83 or 84. The hecklers wrecked the show.

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been curious about the Ford Aud. I would love to see the inside. They keep it sealed up pretty good. I heard when they built it, the acoustics were supposed to be really good, but as it turned out, they are horrible. Any truth to that? I also heard towards it's decline, it was used for graduations?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4265
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The acoustics were terrible, dreadful. I saw a lot of non rock shows at FA - one horrible night, I had front row seats, could see the face of the singer (Tommy Tune, go ahead and laugh) but the sound came out to my left and behind. It bounced around like a superball in a box. The symphony was even worse, it was like sludgy mud. I remember a Beethoven series held there, in the early 80j's, the national papers slammed the FA (while complimenting the always wonderful DSO), that might have been what spurred the abandonment.

There was a beautiful metal sculpture on the wall, over the doors to the theater. Same sculptor as the Gas company woman and Spirit of Detroit. I wonder where it is?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also used to have consumer previews of shows etc. down there as well. That was years ago when they had graduations still going on there.
The sound was known to be very poor.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pink Floyd played there for 2 nights on the spring '72 tour. There is a partial recording of one night I think, and a double l.p. bootleg of the other.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Red has it right, the acoustics were terrible, as was almost always the case for new auditoria built after WWII until very recently. There were some real stinkers built at great expense across the land, New York's Avery Fisher hall being among the worst. Ford was right up there with AF. If you only went there for rock concerts you probably wouldn't notice since the "product" is so over-amplified that it's going to find and fill every corner of the room anyhow--with distortion added intentionally. For the DSO it was terrible, so much so that the badly deteriorated Orchestra hall was saved from certain death (to become a Jack-in-the-box hamburger joint) at a time when no one was restoring anything to become the symphony's home once again. The true pity of Ford aud. is that it has the facilities to carry out just about any kind of entertainment man has devised for an auditorium, has the facilities to cook a dinner for every ticket holder, and ample parking.

Ford 1

Ford 2

Ford 3

photos from WSU virtual Motor City/Det news files

(Message edited by 56packman on April 07, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6630
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, I just mentioned this in the Chene Park thread... but isn't the Marshall Fredericks sculpture, along with the Aeolian-Skinner organ still installed in the building?

Could that organ be reinstalled in say either Orchestra Hall or the Detroit Opera House? Or would there have to be major work done on the organ to make it worthy of an acoustically perfect hall?

56packman

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still there. It would make a good start to an instrument for Orchestra hall but a big problem will be that it was altered right after the opening by Aeolian-Skinner to be much louder, to the point of re-making entire sets of pipes to fight the bad acoustics at Ford aud. They got the instrument in, circa 1957 and it was very disappointing, no guts. Several trips back to Boston for the pipes and it was a little better, but some sets had to be replaced outright with new sets designed to "push" more in that messed up acoustic. If it were moved into Orchestra hall now, as-is it would be all volume, no quality, and certain sounds would be way out of proportion for what is considered good and "normal". That instrument was also designed and built at a weird period in Aeolian-Skinner's history, not a good period for them.
The big "what-if" is $$$$, the DSO is holding its own at the moment but not flush with cash, whenever they play a piece with an organ part (the Saint Saens #3 usually) they hire one from a local electronic church organ dealer and make do with that. The local chapter of the AGO (American Guild of Organists) at one time discussed getting behind such a project, but I think they figured that it would be beyond their means. As I said initially, the instrument at Ford would be a good place to start, but the last few big jobs across the land (Disney hall in LA and the Kimmel center in Philly) went with brand-new, purpose built seven-figure jobs that are fantastic. And for that kind of money, they should be.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6631
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the insight 56packman, and thanks for the pics.

Speaking of Disney, didn't they install the former San Francisco Fox's 4/36 Wurlizer (a duplicate of the Detroit Fox) into the much smaller 1800 seat El Capitan Theatre?

56packman

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's like putting a 426 Hemi engine in a Neon!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at that Patti Smith show as well for the encore they brought out a special guest Fred "Sonic"Smith for a rock'in " My Generation" . Also saw Dan Fogelberg and also Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson all I believe in 1975

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Rodney Dangerfield doing standup, circa 1983 or so. Right on about the lousy acoustics. I didn't understand what the problem was at the time, but I do remember being bummed out about the weird echos. Rodney, though hard to hear, was very funny.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only concert I ever saw at Ford Auditorium was "Tangerine Dream" in 1977 or so. They had a laser light show along with it, and I remember seeing little red bouncing balls for about 3 days after.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was scheduled to play there right before the Street Survivors album came out, but I think it was cancelled pre-plane accident.

Downriviera

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skynyrd played, I was there. I think it was the night after the Queen show I saw. I had the same seats both nights.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk,

I was starting to think I was the only one alive who remembers that show! Was "Birdland" really as stellar as I remember? And, do you remember Patti pouring beer on the stage?

Yes everyone, acoustics were dreadful there. Very similar to "A Very Fishy Hall".

And, yes, my graduation ceremony was held there too. Baby boomer classes were so large then.

Bongman,

I was so close to Yes in 1976 at Cobo Arena that I saw bluegreen spots for several days after their spectacular laser show. They played 2 nights that year with an unbelievable "crab larvae" stage set.

I actually think acoustics at Cobo Airplane Hanger were preferable to Ford Auditorium. Indeed, appears many artists felt acuoustics at Cobo were good.

Downriviera

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Yes with Black Sabbath at Cobo, can't remember the year, had to be early 70's. I play a little bass, and I've always been amazed at Chris Squires playing.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera,

I know this hijacking the Ford Aud. thread, but just one question for 'ya....

Did you think Yes blew Sabbath off the stage that night?

That was about the time that Yes were becoming formidably good live.

Squire is superb, loved how he could make the bass the lead instrument, in the trebly James Jamerson Motown style.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ClassicYesFan.....If that was the Yes show with Donovan, I was there. In fact, that was the first normal arena show I saw. Saw Yes in the round the following year for the Tormato Tour. Lousy album, great tour. I've seen them at least 6 times since....always great stuff. Enjoyed ABWH also.

I had tickets to that Synyrd show @ Ford...but don't remember why I didn't go ? Heh...a mystery.

Downriviera

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan,

The friends I went with were huge Sabbath fans, and to this day they will say that Sabbath blew Yes off the stage. I really liked both bands and thought they were both superb that night. An unusual bill for sure. I really remember the sweet smell of all the weed permeating the Cobo air that night, too.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I vaugely remember that. I do remember her reciting some poetry with great imagery that had us hanging on every word. I also remember people yelling out "Heroin" all the time. Which had me and my buddies perplexed. We hoped they be requesting the Velvet Underground song??
This show had a huge impact on me and my taste in music.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera,
The Sabbath/Yes show at Cobo was in the Spring of '72. It was my first arena concert, so trust me on that one. I liked both bands, thought Yes was better that night; Wild Turkey was the opening act.

Classicyesfan,
My HS graduation was also at Ford Auditorium.

56packman,
"If you only went there for rock concerts you probably wouldn't notice..."
That's true enough. I certainly wasn't discerning enough to let a little thing like acoustics keep me away from the rock shows at Ford Auditorium.

I saw a few shows already mentioned in the other posts, also Gary Wright (around "Dreamweaver" time.) The quietest (folk) rock show I saw there was Melanie with her acoustic guitar and it sounded clear enough.
I'm sure I saw Foghat there, and don't ask me when, because they opened just about every third rock show I saw in the 70's so I couldn't tell you.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman,

I recall Donovan opening for the streamlined Yes of 1977 (no Roger Dean set).

The laser show was spectacular the previous year's 1976 Relayer tour. Of course, there were several years (1974-76)of Relayer tours, with at least 3 different stage designs.

I agree with you about the "Yes in the Round" show at Olympia Stadium in 1978. That was about as hard as Yes rocked in the 70's - Jon was earth bound that night. They were probably tired by the time they returned to Olympia in 79.

Elimarr,

I tend to agree with you about Yes that night. I seem to think that Sabbath was towards the end of the "Master of Reality" tour and looked really tired and partied out? It did seem strange to me at the time that the audience took to Yes so well, as they were, well, so utterly different.

Norwalk,

I think you have good company regarding being influenced by Patti Smith. REM's Michael Stipe for one has said she was the most artist to him. I vaguley remember the "heroin" comments at Ford Auditorium - now I wonder if that was because they opened with the Underground's "Real Cool Time Together"? I also remember how strangely some of the audience dressed, especially those closest to Lester Bangs.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on April 07, 2008)

Downriviera

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Roxy Music show I saw there was really good. I remember it like it was yesterday. The stage lights go dark and the band opens with an extended intro to Both Ends Burning, Andy Mckay wailing on his sax, than a lone spotlight shines to the side of the stage and out comes Bryan Ferry in a black tux doing this slow, suave dance groove. We were in the 5th row, girl in front of me fainted.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera -

I saw King Crimson downtown when they still had Greg Lake from ELP in the band. Did they play at the Fox too? I was a little fuzzy that night and even fuzzier now due to age. - (21st century Schizoid man!)

Downriviera

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big23

King Crimson played Ford Aud for the Starless and Bible Black tour. John Wetton on bass and vocals. Robert Fripp sat in a chair. Bill Bruford had an amazing array of percussion instruments behind his drum kit. They also had a young guy on electric violin, can't remember his name. Great show. They never spoke after or between songs. Just nodded their heads to the applause. Really cool. I used to lay in bed with the headphones on in total darkness and listen to the Larks Tongues In Aspic album, good stuff.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm REALLY confused! King Crimson played Eastown and Grande first, but it says Greg Lake left in 1970. Now I've been to the other two Venues, so it MUST have been Masonic.
But Greg Lake was introduced at the Masonic gig so it must have been a walk on.
Thank god for the internut!

1970s
King Crimson's line-up fluctuated greatly during the years immediately following the breakup of the original band. The remaining trio of Fripp, Sinfield, and Lake, persevered for a short while, releasing the single Cat Food/Groon in early 1970. During this time, material was being developed for King Crimson's second album, In the Wake of Poseidon, often seen as being very similar to the band's debut album. Woodwind player Mel Collins took part in the recording sessions, singer Gordon Haskell took vocals on one song, and bassist Peter Giles of Giles, Giles & Fripp appeared on several tracks. Elton John was considered as a singer for the album. Lake departed in early 1970 to form Emerson, Lake & Palmer, leaving King Crimson without a vocalist until Gordon Haskell joined the group. Haskell took over singing, in addition to playing bass for the band's third album, Lizard, which had heavy jazz and classical influences and is described as being an "acquired taste". Andy McCulloch played drums for the album, with Jon Anderson of Yes performing vocals on one song. Haskell and McCulloch left King Crimson before Lizard was released.

Sep. 23, 1973 Boston, Massachusetts Orpheum N/A
Sep. 25, 1973 Williams Town, Massachusetts Coliseum N/A
Sep. 26, 1973 Big Rapids, Michigan Ferris State Comp. N/A
Sep. 27, 1973 Detroit, Michigan Masonic Temple N/A
Sep. 28, 1973 Milwaukee, Wisconsin Performing Arts Centre N/A
Sep. 29, 1973 Chicago, Illinois Auditorium Theatre N/A

http://www.dgmlive.com/tour.ht m?artist=5&tour=1973

http://en.sonorika.com/kingcri mson

Downriviera

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember that Masonic show at all. Looks like the Ford Aud show I saw was 1974. I saw ELP at the Grande, but I don't remember when it was. I do remember Keith Emerson playing the song Knife Edge with a pair of knives on the keyboard. I also saw King Crimson when Adrian Belew was on vocals at of all places Nitros on Telegraph at 96, which was formerly Uncle Sams.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about diverse - I saw Yes there, I saw the Tangerine Dream show in '77, and some time in the late 80's (89?) I saw the Dramatics there. I can attest to the horrible acoustics for the Dramatics show, but the others, well, it certainly smelled like the 70's in there, so I don't think anyone cared.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.