Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bulk Drop Off Load Locations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a spring cleaning due around the neighborhoods and no bulk pick up(limited bulk pick up.) Has anyone used the bulk drop off locations that city has provided? I have visited the website with the details, but does anyone have first hand experience. Would they allow a resident to bring a trailer of debris? Does the vehicle need to be registered to a resident, or could a resident borrow a truck/trailer and go to the dump site?

Thanks in advance

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_pride, this link should answer all of your question :-)

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Depar tments/DepartmentofPublicWorks /BulkCollection/tabid/454/Defa ult.aspx

EDIT: Oh never, you visited the site already.

Well, I have been to the Concord site (I believe it was during the weekends). If you don't arrive at the site during regular bulk-drop off hours, the gates are usually closed.

We just loaded up the stuff (mostly yard debris) in our vehicle and dropped it off.

(Message edited by detroitrise on April 06, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am at the dump every day at Ferry between St. Aubin and Russel, near the RR tracks. Any resident can dump 24/7 for a fee. Just watch your ass while there.

dump

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dump sign

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no fee for Detroit residents to use bulk drop off locations as long as it us less than a ton/one load per day.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used one of the sites, I believe the one on Cocord @E. Grand Blvd, about a month ago (it looked to be about the furthest eastside site and is located just around the corner from the old Packard plant). I sure hope the other sites in the city are in better condition! This place was a large lot on dirt, with small trash scattered all around and a couple large dumpsters. There were two city employees in a truck who checked for my ID and took down my info. The place didn't appear to have any kind of perimeter security around it, so I suppose you could drop stuff off there 24/7--but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's pretty isolated and in a very desolate-looking area.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why they moved the site on Conner and Gratiot. It was a perfect set up. It was one of the old airport parking lots. It's paved and it was set back off of Conner. If they would have planted some shrubs around th perimeter like it was planned. You would have never known it was a drop off site. The one on Concord was paved but got torn up for some reason before they moved back.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet...what is the cost to dump at the sites? If I have an easy dump trailer? or would it be wiser, to just take a truck load a day and not bother witht the trailer?

Also, when you go to the dump sites, do you just dump the garbage on the ground or are you responsible for putting it in the 30 yd containers?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_pride call for pricing. Usually they will have you dump on the ground.
There is a new on site location that has been set up just last week that I think the smaller trucks are going to dump into, but I am not sure. This way, the larger trucks can dump without waiting. Municipalities pay about 24 buck a ton.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the on eon Calvary and Anthon off of W. Fort St. I have taken a lot of stuff in the pass few weeks. There is a limit to how much you can drop off but i have returned a few times twice.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used the dump site on Southfield btw Fullerton & Plymouth, dropped two full size pickup loads on the same day. No fee, just have to have a License that says you live in Detroit. As for weight, we smashed up an old cast iron tub into tiny bits (not a claw foot, don't worry), which is about 350-400 lbs. and dropped it off at the State Fair / John R location, along with a truck load of other crap. They just wanted to see my license.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.