Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Israeli Tomcar to build plant, possibly global HQ in Detroit area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6005
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mlive.com/business/ index.ssf/2008/04/atv_manufact urer_locates_in_au.html

quote:

The new Tomcar production plant at EDAG Inc. in Auburn Hills, while relatively small in scale, goes against a trend of auto manufacturing leaving the state for lower-cost regions. Tuesday's ribbon-cutting event drew Gov. Jennifer Granholm, county and city officials, Tomcar executives from Israel and Australia and top brass from EDAG's Fulda, Germany headquarters.

The 85,000-square-foot production facility, housed in EDAG's 150,000-square-foot North American headquarters, represents the first full-scale manufacturing facility for Tomcar, which was established in 1991 in Israel. The company previously had been manufacturing in Phoenix, but the new Auburn Hills plant has the capacity to produce 10,000 vehicles per year once fully staffed.

Phoenix-based Tomcar USA announced it had chosen EDAG as its contract manufacturing partner in October. At full production volume, the Auburn Hills plant could employ 150 people.

quote:

Tomcar and EDAG executives said Michigan's skilled work force and assistance from state and local officials helped the deal come to fruition. The low value of the U.S. dollar made it competitive for Tomcar to establish production here, Poran said.

"We are now considering, after having completed an investment from (private equity firm) Markstone Capital, to actually build our global headquarters here in Detroit. So this would be close to our manufacturing and close to some of the people we work with," Poran said.

"This is happening in the coming months."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6007
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like fun.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds cool

I wonder how many jobs it would create if their HQ moved here?

Did they mean Detroit ( the city ) or Metro Detroit?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I'd appreciate it if you didn't post pics of my car ;)

Even though it's a "smaller-scale" operation, great news for Metro Detroit! Even greater news when they hire local folks who have been previously laid-off from other jobs in the industry.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The future is in the niche.... :-)

Great news. Would be awesome if they came downtown, but I'm guessing they are going to be near their production facility.

Another probable win for the outburbs... and you all think I'm crazy for setting aside already-vacant areas for this kind of "suburban" development... companies like this need that kind of setup if you want them in the city.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news! I wish more businesses would move to Detroit! From what I have heard in Phoenix, it will be located in a suburb, not in Detroit itself. Also, I have heard that Toyota is building a plant in Michigan, but I don't know where.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, This is way cool.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more alternative small vehicle production in the area. (Light aircraft, amphibious cars, military hardware, etc.)

We definitely have idled Airfield space, production facilities, new and used, and a workforce that has always been non-union or resigned to the fact that things have changed.
Our battered military hardware has to be repaired and upgraded someplace, why not here?

And why is this ONLY taking place because of the battered dollar in the world marketplace?

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Chamber of Commerce needs to get to work! The infastructure and the workers are in place. I can't think of a better place for a business to relocate!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, It is new jobs we should be happy at that!

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the chances are they will put their HQ in Detroit proper? I sure hope they do! GM, Compuware, Quicken, Southfield HMO, Tech Town, and possibly Bank of America and Tomcat (moving from Phoenix to the D? WOW!). What a great diversified lineup that can create the synergy needed to grow the Next Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.