Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » TV Land in Detroit: Turner & Kelly, Lou Gordon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locally produced documentary "Motor City Celebrities: John Kelly and Marilyn Turner," produced by filmmaker Gordon Castelnero, airs tonight at 9 p.m. on Detroit Public Television, WTVS-TV (Channel 56). A second documentary, "Motor City Celebrities: Lou Gordon," airs immediately afterward.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080407/E NT10/804070316

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will have to watch. I went to the 'Kelly and Company' show when I was in my early twenties, and even got to make a comment on air. They were a not to be missed show back when I had little girls at home, and was a stay at home mom. I loved when they had the makeovers, but I can't remember the name of the guy who gave them. He was a nationally known beauty consultant/hairdresser.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Castelnero's book, "TV Land Detroit," stylist José Eber and cosmetologist to the stars Jeffrey Bruce were frequent guests.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffery Bruce!! That's the guy. I always wanted a makeover by him.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the Kelly & Company audience a handful of times. When the program ended, John would always shake everyone's hand before they left the set, while Marilyn was nowhere to be seen.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I'd had a video camera back when I worked at WJBK...the security guard that made the parking lot rounds told me very interesting stories about John's steamed up car. Of course this was before their move to WXYZ.

While at WJBK, I received a number of telephone threats directed at Lou Gordon. Don't know why they called us, but I naturally notified the Southfield police.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just stopping in to remind Detroit to watch Gordon Castelnero's "Motor City Celebrities".
God bless
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wanted to tivo it and forgot. i don't suppose they will be re-running them anytime soon?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was that interview with John and Marilyn filmed? If was recently, she's still pretty HOT!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8275
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a nostalgia POV, it was a fun viewing.

But the soundtrack out of sync with the images distracted me during the Kelly/Turner doc.

Reminded me of those old Ninja flicks.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, my mom said the same thing (well, kind of). Said she looked great.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got MILF?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MILF?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 77, try GMILF ...glad to hear Marilyn still has it...

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My late, beloved godfather was the pediatrician who appeared regularly (Dr. Ralph Cash). My godmother said John & Marilyn loved having him because he was a crowd-pleaser and they didn't have to write anything since he just did mostly Q&A :-)

She saved all of his episodes on VHS and I will have them transferred to DVD. It'll be wierd to watch Kelly & Co. again since I was so young when it first aired.

My younger brother's claim to fame: Dr. Cash took his temperature *where the sun don't shine* when he was a toddler before allllll of Metro Detroit. You bet your tushie I'm showing that at his wedding next year...

(Message edited by rel on April 08, 2008)

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel, when did Dr.Cash pass? He was my 15 yr old daughter's first pediatrician, I loved him!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mothers I'd like to F___

MILF

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When John Kelly spoke, in the beginning of the doc there was no audio. Great memories though

Bigb23

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn's 77 ? She doesn't look a day over 68. ;)

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about WGILF? That's a long list right there.

Pffft

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie Gordon was so beautiful, as well...

Amazing to think Lou was only 60 when he died...

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that a hair piece John Kelly was wearing?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen, Ralph passed away October 2005. He also wrote a regular advice column in the Detroit Free Press and had a radio show. Even though Ralph was Jewish, many of the kids at Childrens' Hospital knew him as Santa ;)

I was actually a bit bothered the Freep didn't run an obituary, considering how many lives he touched.

Back to the topic- When I get these Kelly & Co. episodes DVD'd, I will post an email address on the "Connect" section if anyone wants a copy.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure was nice to step back in the past for a while. My only complaint is I wish it could have been longer. It sure was nice to see all the old footage, and to see that they still look so beautiful. More, of Detroit please! Thank you, Mr. Castelnero for taking the time to remember Detroit’s history. We always were, and still are a beautiful city.
God Bless Detroit
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Marilyn and John look the same. Marilyn looks lovely.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought the audio not only wasnt synced but it was different dialog than what was being spoken in the images...

Marilyn was looking pretty rough i thought...

John looked not much different than what i remember...

it was good what was done if not how it was done...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 957
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Marilyn pic.

tur

Bigb23

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perky

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Lou Gordon's daughter who was shown doing most of the talking on that segment of the program. Debbie Gordon is a very qualified trial attorney and is the best on discrimination cases. Lou would be proud.

I had forgotten that Gordon passionately endorsed Cavanaugh for mayor, but after he was elected, Lou and the Mayor had a BIG falling out.

Pffft

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd forgotten about the feud he had with Cavanagh as well.

I didn't know Lou was once in the rag trade, with an office in the David Stott Bldg. And he grew up on LaSalle, graduated from Central.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on LaSalle too! but at a later time than Lou. I tried to find his family on the 1930 census to see what his address was, but couldnt find it.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my, Bigb! tsk, tsk. :-)

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father bought John Kelly's horse, so we kinda knew him well.

He also bought many of his hand bags from us (family owned leather store) and even shoulder bags back in the early 80's before they got popular....he thought he was chic'

Dr. Cash was my Dr. when I was a child. I remember he would ask us to rub our stomach and pat our head at the same time......my sister had a hard time with that.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dang! i thought that was Elizabeth Montgomery at first glance...

Bigb23

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1)Elizabeth Montgomery - HOT HOT HOT.
2)Sally Field. HOTTY

I'm showing my age (and lust) by posting that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.