Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Some toys from when I was a kid » Archive through April 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my best friends as a kid, had a mother who bought him and his younger brother and sister, virtually every board game and toy that came out. They had a large sandbox in their backyard, and when I came over to visit, he would have his little green/blue plastic army men tanks, planes, half-tracks, ect.., set up in the sandbox to play war games, which he would invariably win every time, keeping the best for himself.

We would also play "big army" with some of the other kid in the neighborhood, since he and his brother also had lots of plastic near lifesize replica toys of machine guns, bazookas, helmets, rifles, pistols, and the best one, a 50 caliber toy machine gun on a tripod.

His mother blew a fortune on her kids' toys!!

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't forget the dolls for girls (and some boys too). The much-loved Barbie is always a winner from my childhood. With her mod 60's style house, country camper, and dune buggie with pop-up tent. Flatsy dolls and Dawn dolls were big on my radar as well.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steamaker....ring a bell ?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....and these were Clackers. Suckers were dangerous !

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5943
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember those "slap bracelets" with the metal inside that you would slap against your wrist and they'd wrap around? Then some kids started getting their wrists sliced by the metal, so they were pulled from the market? Genius.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, So many to chose from...Slot car sets, Nerf football, and of course, any Cox .049 product.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vibrating football

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the baseball version..........hit the button.....nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n....not quite sure how you would win..........maybe coerce your opponant to stick his finger in pop and hit the button and watch him die...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......any way.I want to get some American Bricks again..they were the coolest...and........the Kenner plastic building sets........

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had lots of Strad-O-Matic baseball games, played all the time. Vaccu Form was cool, liked Creepy Crawlers, Thanks for the brick ID American bricks, can you get them anywhere? Had this stuff that you could pour something like clear plastic into a paperweight, put things inside. Once I put a frog heart,liver, and lungs in a paperweight, wish I still had that. Had lots of plastic soliders, American and Germans,Japenese and a cool Civil War set.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 982
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a toy per se, but -

Guys my age might remember the TV show Twelve O'clock High, about the WWII Army air force - and the trading cards you could buy with all the WWII aircraft on them. I was a plane nut as a kid.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6618
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little_buddy, you can likely find American Bricks on EBAY. Just look at LEGO on EBAY on any given day there's over 5,000 LEGO items for sale.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shirley Temple doll. Mr & Mrs. Potato Head.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Christmas favorite toy in 1961 was sold only in grocery stores (I think "The Pantry" sold it in Dbn Hgts.)

Playmobile 1961

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan,
Welcome, and that is one fine toy you have there !
I almost think I remember that but I'm just not sure. Very cool though!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All self respecting boys had or wanted a Gilbert set.

and I also had a Superball (only the coolest ball in the world).

and boys and girls of all ages loved the classic View-Master.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And who didn't enjoy an afternoon of Reading.

"READING"---Yea right--- no way, unless it was a cool comic book.

Remember how we tried to sell those Christmas Card's or Seed's or even "GRIT"
anything to make a buck, I found Drink Bottles was the easiest money to be made.
And when you did have some spare change, you might have spent it in those Johnson-Smith Ads that were in the comic books, anything you wanted was in that catalogue

But I'll tell you all a secret, up until my mind switched to girls ,around 11 or 12 yrs of age, My best bedtime thoughts were of something that to this day I regret not trying harder to get.
This was the ultimate toy in my mind. But even in my childhood I knew that the price and the description didn't match, How could something so cool be so cheap? I was never to find out, so my dream toy is still a alive !
My Dream toy

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that sub. I was suspicious, too. Just like I was about the x-ray spex. I thought if you could really see through girls clothes, everyone would have them.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4991
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Johnson Smith Company?!

Weren't they headquartered in Mt. Clemens or something? I think they moved elsewhere since then.

Here's one of their current catalogs: Things You Never Knew Existed.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 985
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duncan yo-yo's.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dtctygrl, I loved my Dawn dolls so much. The emerald green gown with gold trim was a gift for christmas that I'll never forget opening! 9 years old and had never seen anything so shiny and beautiful. Makes me vaklempt thinking about it.

Do you think the kids today will have the same wonderful memories about video games? I guess they will. They'll just be different.

Whittier70

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried on a pair of those X-ray specs in a drugstore as a kid. Just a small feather in each lens. Lucky for all those teenage girls swooning over the new Beatles album in there.

I remember that sub ad too. Can anybody find out the real scoop on that price? Buyer beware (even 8 year olds).

Classic, that toy looks like it's in your basement now. I'm green with envy!

Whittier70

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAD THIS EXACT LUNCHBOX

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were lucky. We didn't have lunch boxes. We used brown paper sacks. Mom was tight with the dollar.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not afford, with my lawn mowing, allowance and snow shoveling money, to purchase the genuine Schwinn Stingray, so I bought the banana seat, sissy bar, and high handlebars...they were added onto an older one speed bike frame, without the hand brakes.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

operation

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, I still have my Dawn dolls. I'll have to post some pics!Before Barbie and Dawn, I was into baby dolls - Drowsy was a favorite. She lost her voice and my Mom and brother did "surgery" on her. It made for a long wait sitting on the front porch stoop (aka the waiting room)while surgery was taking place . . . Alas, she never was able to talk again - but they tried. I loved her all the more - just because she needed it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5978
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I betcha $6.98 only got you the PLANS to build the Polaris Sub, just like the hovercraft in the back of Boy's Life magazine.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I was kinda able to read the ad, and I guess not. Weird!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5980
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to this day, this greatest of all action figures, Voltron.

I remember laying on my back flying Voltron around over me, and then dropping that mighty hunk of die cast metal right on my face. Ouch.