Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Vegetarian Restaurant » Archive through April 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to know if there is any Vegetarian Restaurants in the area, I do not want to drive more than a half hour though. My girlfriend became a vegetarian thats why. so if anybody knows of one thanks.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inn Season Cafe, 500 E. 4th, Royal Oak. Excellent!
Om Cafe, 23136 Woodward, Ferndale. Simpler, good, kinda funky.
Haven't been to either in a few years but that's how I remember them.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been to the Golden Gate in Detroit? I'm curious about it . . .

http://innatedetroit.com/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.detroitevolution.com

it is pick up or delivery on thursday and fridays in eastern market

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodwells Natural Food Market located at 418 Willis St. (west of Cass) next to the Avalon Bakery is a great place. It’s just a hop-skip and a jump from Wayne’s Campus. They have fresh organic fruits & vegetables, groceries, bulk food items, vegetarian chili, pocket sandwiches and a host of other items too numerous to name here. It’s worth the drive just to try of their Famous Pocket Sandwiches. Give them a call (313) 831-2130 to find out what else they have. Believe me you won’t be disappointed. Tell them that Mark recommended the place,

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two places in the city with veggie friendly menu's as well as meat, include Twingo's and Cass Cafe, both on Cass in midtown. I am a huge fan of Cass Cafe.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7475
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Cass Cafe quite a bit too, but admittedly the garlic infusion they put on last time I ate there became more of a garlic explosion. Still a great place with fun atmosphere.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't need to go to a specifically vegetarian place. A lot of different ethnic restaurants have vegetarian dishes-Chinese, Greek, Italian, Middle Eastern, Thai etc.

Another one in Midtown with veg options is Traffic Jam.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slows has some vegetarian options as well

also check out the Red Star chinese restaurant on michigan in east dearborn, any meat item on their menu can be subbed with homeade seitan (wheat gluten) seasoned like beef or chicken

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twingo's has been closed for quite some time. In addition, it only had one vegetarian item on the menu - perogi's.

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Vegetarian restaurant" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp". Do they have stand-up eating where they just strap a feed bag to your head?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Vegetarian restaurant" is an oxymoron

no, not really.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Girlfriend wants to eat tofu and all that stuff now do those places have it? but thanks for the places though.

Pam

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My Girlfriend wants to eat tofu and all that stuff now do those places have it?

You can usually get dishes with tofu at Chinese and Thai places.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My Girlfriend wants to eat tofu and all that stuff now do those places have it? but thanks for the places though.

i've been vegetarian for 12 years (i think lol, can't remember)

there is much more to eating vegetarian than just tofu. there's the various kinds of beans, there's lentils, high protein grains like quinoa and teff (an ethiopian staple), and the different things made from soybeans (tofu, tempeh) and wheat gluten and TVP (textured vegetable protien) which is what a lot of the "fake" meat kind of things are made from, especailly store bought stuff like burgers and hot dogs and stuff.

east asian, south asian, and middle eastern foods offer lots legume (bean) based dishes, including tofu which was invented by the japanese i beleive.
inn season has a number of different kinds of american vegetarian cuisine, some of it loosely based on other culture's, and offers a huge variety of choices. i'd suggest that would be a great place to go "experiment", course you're going to have get a little adventurous and try it too, as i don't think they have any meat on the menu :-)

a lot of the other places listed merely have some vegetarian options on a mixed menu, which is great, especially at a place like slows which would otherwise be a meat eater's pariadise, can't say how appreciative i am and how much i love their fake chiken sandwich (the genious) and bean and rice dish (hoppin' jack), but inn season probably has the best variety of any place mentioned.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 04, 2008)

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Ethiopian restaurants have Veg. options. Taste of Ethiopia in Southfield is great (the owner is a very cool lady). Blue Nile in Ferndale is good as well.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think The Majestic has some vegetarian and tofu dishes.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were at Goldengate a couple of months ago and they had carryout service only, but were working ona sit down service. Call them to see how they are doing, it is a neat place.

This is from the Metro Times:

Goldengate Cafe
(Vegetarian Menu)
18700 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI
313-366-2247

Hours
Call for hours.

Description
Wednesday night is the busiest night at the Goldengate. That’s because it’s fire night, and because it’s drumming night. A fire rages or smolders in the stone fireplace on the patio, while bring-your-own drummers hypnotize themselves and the neighbors with free-form wallops and throbs. The eatery serves a mostly vegan menu, with some dairy, but the majority of diners are omnivores seeking a healthy meal. They’ll find a good one, and they won’t find the holistic trip laid on in a preachy way.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHM cafe on woodward in ferndale...Its not too far. Ohm is vegan.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GET ME A WHOPPER!

Pam

Post Number: 3831
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i've been vegetarian for 12 years (i think lol, can't remember)

I've been one for 25 years. There are more restaurant options available now than back when I started. Even mainstream, chain type restaurants usually have a Boca burger or meatless pasta on the menu these days.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

GET ME A WHOPPER!

quit telling us about it and go get it already

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic Jam and Snug on W. Canfield has some great vegetarian entrees. Also, Motor City Brewing across the street has two or three great veggie pizzas. Also, Sweet Lorraine's in the Millender has good stuff.

My wife is a vegetarian and somehow she always finds things she likes, no matter where we go. Even Honest John's has some nice options on their menu.

As long as she's not vegan, there's always fish places, too.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to try Ohm Cafe. That's close to my place. How's the food, pretty decent and not too expensive? The Dr told me to cut back the protein again. I've got a cook book to pick up tonight.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5971
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do some people feel the need to rag on vegetarians? Why the hell do you care what other people eat? Already on this thread, Ongowah and Jeduncan felt the need to grace us with their amazing little quips, rather than just skipping by a thread that does not interest them. Very strange.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5972
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, Pegasus in Greektown has a FANTASTIC vegetarian platter.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Howe's Bayou, too. You can get a plate of four different Lagniappe dishes, like red beans and rice. Of course, they might have a meat base in the beans. You could ask them.

Many Middle Eastern places have veggie plates, veggie grape leaves, mjadra, spinach pies, more.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian food is my favorite choice for (lacto) vegetarian.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has a number of Indian resturants. I like Gandhi or the Bengal Masala both on Conant.
Then again there's the Dill Pickle Soup at Polonia!