Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Worst Parts of Detroit? » Archive through January 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chad
Username: Chad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pussygirl313 I used to work in the nottingham and harper area 20 years ago. (I don't live in Mich any more) how is the area bad?
thanks,
chad

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What year did you move out, Lombaoski?"

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6801
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All parts of Detroit are worst. Remember that all of Detroit is a ghetto, and the people are a part of it. I grew up the ghetto. I lived in the ghetto and most blacks want to keep it that way. After 263 years, (from 1701 to 1975) White folks lost possession of Detroit because of fear of black folks and its going to take a long time to reclaim it back. There are some PRIME DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY real estate hidden in over 40,000 vacant lots with empowerment zone tax breaks. Only you have to do is stop being fearful of blacks who are living there and get along with them.

Don't think of me as a crazy Street Prophet on crack and weed for I have seen this social problems for 30 years of my life. I have been doing some research of why Detroit is black and the suburbs are white and the answers is right in the local news, radio, movies, internet and the people in the streets.

Eaglelv
Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny you hit the nail on the head and buried it in the wood!!

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Danny's actually correct about most of that.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: is the plan for the Whites to "RECLAIM" the city of Detroit? To make it "all white" again? You do say "stop being fearful of Blacks who are living there and get along with them" so I suppose I could take that to mean that folk across races can attempt to live peaceably?

As far as all the trash is concerned, some suburbanites (and corporate orgs) see the city as a big garbage dump (in part, due to apathetic residents) and so they come and dump their trash right along with everyone else.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter, welcome to the forum!

I think what my friend Eric_c is trying to say is

Politely get fucked Peter.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good evening folks,

I was wondering if some of you with close quarters to the Linwood-Chicago Rd. area could enlighten me about that particular community. I passed through the area lately and am not really familiar with this part of the city.

Does anyone live in the area? Does it have a close community feeling or no? What are the people like? What are the schools like that are located near this area? How do they perform? I know there are a couple because you can see the students all over the streets in the afternoon.

I would appreciate any feedback and advice on the area. I understand that the "Boston Edison" area is located nearby. What are the boundaries for that section of the city?

Finally, I know there are a lot of subjective posts here in this thread. I try my hardest to read through them with an open mind. In regards to other areas of the city...... Is this particular area (Linwood - Chicago - Grand Blvd) a safe area? I understand Highland Park is right around the corner as well, but I have seen that name mentioned several times in this thread already.

I have a friend looking for somewhere to live, and I have the low-down on a foreclosure in that area. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say Highland Park, but that's still a separate city.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you can avoid the Linwood/Dexter shootouts, you'll be okay.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, so much would depend upon what your friend is looking for in the way of a community. Without knowing that info, it's hard to respond, because, as you noted, it's all quite subjective.

With that stipulation, to me, one of the most charming blocks in the area is Longfellow between LaSalle and Linwood. I am comfortable with Atkinson to Boston, between the Lodge and Linwood. To the north, there are some nice houses on Glynn and Calvert (2 family flats). LaSalle Blvd. has nice to very nice sections all the way to West Grand Blvd., especially from Virginia Park to WGB. Linwood itself is rough. Except in those areas where it is very, very rough.

Again, to me, there is no way I would live west of Linwood or north of Calvert. Nor would I recommend this area to anyone. There are many good and decent families and people who live in this area; but moving there now would not be the best idea.

Going a bit northwest of this area, you'll find the Russell Woods neighborhood which is one of our interesting, old historic districts and a fine place to live.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Linwood itself is rough. Except in those areas where it is very, very rough."

Could you elaborate a bit more on this comment. Also, do you live near this section of detroit Neilr?

From what I am gathering, this area I am mentioning seems to be a pocket of bad within the good. Does that make sense. I am just trying to get a feeling for the area.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, I lived in that area from the 1970's until 1990 when I moved downtown.

Drive down Linwood and you'll see what I mean. There are plenty of abandoned stores, vacant apartment buildings, vacant lots, storefront churches, barbed wire, and assorted blight.

I believe the two major churches in the area are the late Rev. C. L. Franklin's church, New Bethel, and the Shrine of the Black Madonna.

To me, the most beautiful section of Linwood is between Joy Road (Clairmount) and Chicago Blvd. which is Sacred Heart Seminary. Then also, the Central HS and Durfee MS complex, while not on Linwood, is visible from it.

One positive development in that area is the new shopping plaza being built by Derrick Coleman.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071105/BUS INESS06/711050332/1002

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Linwood is very similar to Rosa Parks in that the road is crossing through neighborhoods (meaning the short end of the block). It is an interesting way to view the different states of different neighborhoods, esp. if you come all the north from Corktown.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on Joy near Wyoming or Lahser and it looked like Berlin in 1945.

I drove a few blocks S. of Joy to give a cat to an elderly house-bound woman. It was a rescue cat.

The houses there were immaculate. Well kept lawns... the whole 9 yards.

Get off the mile roads and into the neighborhoods. It's like night & day.

Jrvass

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosa Parks (12th St.?) they (High Schoolers) almost toppled my truck at a red light. Rocking it back & forth.

(Message edited by jrvass on January 12, 2008)

Jrvass

Post Number: 396
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_s

I'm talking about Joy Rd itself. The neighborhood was fantastic. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes. It was Detroit. The neighborhoods don't reflect the major streets. That was my point.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those people made me mad on that forum.

That one girl said "Besides Eastern Market is it really sad and Depressing"

Are you kidding me!

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you really single out any area. 90% of the city is disgusting.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but that 10% is shockingly nice, almost beautiful.............

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest obstacle to revitalizing a city, any city, (From personal experiences in other majors, such as DC, NY, and Philly) is the huge city government, all out to preserve one thing, their own power, glory and paycheck. A good example would be the "typical" abandoned house, saveable, but pretty rough. Which is of more value to the city as a whole, a family living in a house, buying materials and possibly hiring labor for renovations, paying taxes at their actual purchase price, with re-assessments to bring it up to ACV, or the $10K back taxes, water bills, etc, and the bloated artificial appraisal and hence high taxes that keep it empty, soon to be a crackhouse or maybe a parking lot? The various city departments are bound by statute to adhere to the latter, and trying for reform to encourage the former could cost a few of those cradle to grave jobs. Enterprise Zones are only a half hearted attempt at resolving this. I would think that perhaps a modern style "Homestead Law" could expedite things. The city has no business owning any residential properties at all, deed them over to individuals, free and clear with the only caveat being that owner must physically reside there for 5 years, long enough to get the taxes up to true market value and hopefully force some stability into softer areas. That would be a boon for folks without the necessary down payment, credit, etc. to actually own their own home, and with some sweat equity build a stable situation for themselves and hence the neighborhoods. DPD would have to cooperate by enforcing the law strictly in these areas, especially minor property crimes. In NY the crime rate dropped in a hurry when the NYPD started busting the turnstile jumpers and graffiti vandals. They found out that most of the serious crimes were being carried out by the same people who flouted the minor things ie. the subway jumpers, and vandals of vacant buildings, etc. We can do this, rebuild our cities by building them one block at a time, neighborhood after neighborhood, into a vibrant city. The commercial areas are becoming successful, we as individuals can take care of the rest.

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(What a run-on sentence embedded there!)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saying only 10% of the city is nice is really an underestimate, Lived here since 1988, am well versed with all areas and its more than 10%.
Lafayette Park, Indian Village, East English Village, Corktown,Mexican Town, parts of Midtown, Rosedale Park, University District, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, Downtown and some farther west areas are certainly stable, well kept areas, This constitutes far more than 10% of the city.Some people need to do a little more homework when they make blanket comments. Maybe you should ask some of us who live in them.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on January 15, 2008)

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to vote for the neighborhood where I grew up in the early 50's thru the late 60's: Chalmers & Jefferson. It was never a high-class area, just a middle-class working neighborhood, but at least back then there were still houses and stores instead of vacant lots and burned out shells. I hope the Far Eastside Project is successful in revitalizing this area. What's really amazing is when I drive along Kercheval and cross the border from Detroit into Grosse Pointe Park. GP still looks the same as it did 50 years ago, if not better, and the Detroit side looks like Berlin in 1945.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after spending quite a few saturdays in detroit during the summer, i can only say i have yet to find the worst part of detroit yet. i remember in 1984 going to river town with my uncle and seeing tumbleweeds blowing around, my whole view of the city is good looking houses stuck in the middle of vacant lots and burned out buildings. i never lived in detroits "glory days" so this is the detroit i know, but at least i can say i bought a book at borders no less over the summer , couldn,t do that in 84.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6976
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All parts of Detroit are worse. From Detroit River to 8 Mile Rd.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no worse parts of Detroit, all in all its a beautiful place.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a beautiful soul, that's for sure, but....

Someone please tell me why the City doesn't sue property owners who neglect their property. I think eminent domain can be abused, but if there's ever a case for it, here it is. Many of these property owners need to have their structures taken away, for safety, historical, economic, and a host of other reasons. Everyone needs to be on board.

Everybody knows the urban planning model of how one negative structure brings the whole area down, eventually.

We should also have strenuous historic preservation laws. Our architecture, neglected though it may be, could be the thing that actually makes us visually spectacular. What would it take to build, say, the Guardian Building or the Book Tower today? Forget about it!

Also, can we hit the Feds up for a big bunch of trees? 250,000 would be a good start. Tree-eating bugs NOT Detroit's fault. Detroit looks great in green!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soon the bulldozers will be back with a multi billion dollar plan to build more freeways. This was approved by Detroit city hall. The money to be used comes from the exact same source that was used to pay for the Livonia SMART buses and once frequent DDOT buses.

I'm protesting this abuse because, I care.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128 Chalmers & Jefferson, i agree with his item because i know the area and it went down fast and hard and never came back.