Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit City Airport, For Sale or Sold. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A statement made today by an airport employee was “the airport has been sold."
This person in a under toned voice stated that an “announcement will be made next Thursday by the Dishonored Mayor Kilpatrick.”

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for the Soul Plane to be taking off soon! :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, if Kwame goes down, the city goes down with him (building by building, person by person, asset by asset). :-(

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do wonder about him stalling for time while selling all this stuff. Yeah, what does care about office if he's giving his friends the keys to everything before he goes?

But that's all hearsay -- isn't it?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not want to be in the room if/when Joann Watson finds out that The Coleman Alexander Young Airport has been sold. :-)

Seriously, I believe that City Council has to approve the sale of any of the City's assets. I can't imagine them going along with anything like that, especially given the present level of tension.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it ever formally renamed CAYMA? I think that's just what everybody calls it. :-)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Was it ever formally renamed CAYMA? I think that's just what everybody calls it.

I'm going to make a list of everyone who calls it The Coleman Alexander Young Airport:

1. Joann Watson
2. ( ... don't rush me, I'm thinking.)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Take your time. JoAnn is good enough for now. :-)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is in the business of buying airports that will only lose money?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that soul plane or sole plane?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let Matty Maroun buy it. He can have an airport to go with his train station.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5907
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

Yes, it was formally and officially renamed Coleman Alexander Young Municipal (or International) Airport in 2003. It had special/significant meaning as Mayor Young was part of the Tuskegee Airmen (477th Medium-Bomber Group) during WWII.

Flybydon,

I believe it when I see it. As someone else said above doesn't the council have to sign off on any sell of property? And, if that even comes to fruition I wonder who he's selling it to and for what? Maybe the Wayne County Airport Authority? I wonder how much it costs to subsidize this airport every year?

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 10, 2008)

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not unless King Kwaime sold it for under $5000.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the crux of the article posted on ClickonDetroit this morning:
Detroit is considering a plan to turn over management of the Coleman A. Young International Airport to a private company.

According to a new report, Baltimore-based AvPorts has pledged to spend $50 million to revamp the airport that's commonly known as City Airport.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me. Almost anything can be better than what's going on now... from their scant website, they've been around for 75 years or so, so that's a good thing (i.e. not fly-by-night).

Of course someone will have a privatization disaster story - but instead of it being a money hole if it can start to be a generator and help the community around it (there is almost no spinoff business to the neighborhood) then why not give it a shot.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

According to a new report, Baltimore-based AvPorts has pledged to spend $50 million to revamp the airport that's commonly known as City Airport.

Hmmmmm.....

Do they have their own jets you can "borrow" ?

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess a hand off is better than being sold for scrap,
or turned into another worthless unused park.

Maybe there is light shinning at that endless tunnel.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088041203 22

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds good!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was this article in today's Detroit News about a visit to the neighborhood by Mr. Matty Moroun. Apparently, homes in the airport neighborhood are being bought up.
http://community.detnews.com/b logs/index.php/neighborhood

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The airport would be good for those execu jet deals you lease or rent.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.