Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Townhomes at Woodward and Gladstone « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant to take a picture tonight when I passed by these as I do most nights but does anyone know anything about the gorgeous set of about eight townhomes at the corner of Woodward and Gladstone? They are located not all that far from Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament and are just south of the Boston/Edison neighborhood. They are really beautiful and are immaculately kept... I never see for rent signs so I don't think they're apartments though I've never seen a for sale sign outside of any of them. They are fenced in as well. Just wondering.

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are one’s I’m picturing in my mind and are on the west side of the street, the nearby church (can’t remember the name of the church) rehabbed them several years ago.

Historyguy
Username: Historyguy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're thinking of Saint John's Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, which was originally North Woodward Congregational Church, built in 1911-2. No source that I've seen provides much information on the townhomes (either building date or architect), but they were apparently affiliated with the original congregation. The Congregationalists sold the building to the current owners in 1953. It then became the first "Piety Hill" building owned by an African American congregation. As I remember it, the townhouses were run down as recently as 8-10 years ago, and were then renovated (I'm assuming by the church).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.