Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Priceless 1956 Tigers video « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Briggs Stadium ... August 4, 1956 ... Tigers v. Yankees in 8mm glory ... enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5wI yhY0u4kM

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job on the vid, Vic_doucette. Where did you dig it up?.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great video! Especially after last nights melt down against the Sox.

Wasn't Virgil Trucks one of the few Tigers to throw a no-hitter?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great 8mm "video", vic. Many thanks. Even caught a quick peak at the old Detroit Lions business offices that were then located on Michigan Avenue across the street from the ball park.
Trucks threw two no-hitters in the same year ( 1952). He lost nearly 20 games that year, and the Tigers finished in the cellar.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my eyes welled up a few times watching this.I kept thinking of my grandfather and dad and uncle sitting there in that great old park watching the Tigers.Those lousy stinking Yankees,I wasn't born for another year and I already hated them!Anyway thanks for making my day.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic, nice footage. Would it be possible to get in touch with you? I'm working on an hour-long documentary on the Detroit Lions of the 1950s and a good portion of the film involves nonfootball aspects of Detroit in its heyday.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool. Great seeing film clips of Mantle at his peak and Al Kaline as a kid at the old ballpark. Thanks so much.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6066
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the "Band of Brothers" theme. I know because I just rewatched them all.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard,

Am a great admirer of your books, if you need anything relating to jazz I'd be honored to help.
JamesJazz at aol.com

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the radio stations interviewed Virgil Trucks last year after Verlander pitched the no-hitter. 90 years old and as sharp as could be.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Mantle and Kaline hit their round-trippers and they crossed the plate, NONE of their team mates high-fived them. They all SHOOK HANDS! Can you imagine anything so mundane? :-)

Seriously...what a wonderful clip. Thank you,Vic. Warm memories.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5328
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cery cool indeed. Those were just a few of Mickey's MANY right field blasts. Some of the longest homeruns ever hit were by Mickey at Tiger Stadium

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rare find and a treasure.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When Mantle and Kaline hit their round-trippers and they crossed the plate, NONE of their team mates high-fived them. They all SHOOK HANDS! Can you imagine anything so mundane? :-)"

Yes, and then a bunch of them probably went to what was then known as the Lindell Hotel Bar for a "few" drinks after the game.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Bak -- first, let me join my friend Jimg in telling you how much -- and for how long -- I have admired your work. You're mighty, mighty good.

The footage was mentioned on another board I frequent, and I decided to share the link to it here. I didn't shoot it and I don't own the rights to it -- perhaps you can get more information from the YouTube page itself.

And I'd be useless to you concerning football, especially Lions football.

Marauderkev
Username: Marauderkev

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous footage. Thank you.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Vic, thanks. I'm discovering YouTube is a godsend for finding old footage.

So, no Hunchy Hoernschemeyer anecdotes, eh...?

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic_doucette, thanks so much for posting this. This is "holy grail" stuff for a Tiger fan (or ANY baseball fan interested in the pre-expansion "golden era"). My earliest memories of seeing the Tigers goes back to 1967, so I never really got to see Al Kaline in his prime, not to mention Mantle. I have to regularly remind guys in my office sports trivia mailing group that for every old-time NL fan that thinks Roberto Clemente was the greatest defensive right fielder that ever lived, there's someone from Detroit who will tell you it isn't so (and have a valid argument)! I'm going to check this out again (for the fifth time). Thanks again for posting the link!

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard (and everyone else),
Here's another, more recent video of a very special baseball league I'm helping with for the fifth straight season -- the Miracle League of Michigan. We do it a little differently than the guys did at Michigan and Trumbull, but we have more fun than you can imagine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OTo ryAOPtvM

You can get more information at www.michiganmiracle.org, or you may contact me at vdoucette at crain dot com.

Opening Day is May 31!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard/read about the Miracle League. You guys should be proud. The kids deserve it.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless You, boys for the video. Great memories. I could take the Fenkell Av bus from our house(Ward Av btwn Meyers&Shaeffer) right to the stadium. Also saw many Lions game at the stadium including the 57 championship.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool stuff.
Was it just me or did the 2nd guy in the group of four at the beginning walking toward the camera look like Lee Harvey Oswald or what?

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping to find the boxscore for this game. I found a site that has a bunch but they don't start for the Tigers until 1958.

http://www.baseball-boxscores. com/

EDIT: Sweet I found it! http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET195608040.shtml

(Message edited by sturge on April 23, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the May 15th or 16th of 1952 Virgil 'Firetruck' Truck pitched a no-hitter in front of almost 4000 Detroiters.

The rest were in front of old City Hall at Michigan and Woodward listening to Gen Doug MacCarthur. Mac then went out and looked at the Belle Isle Bridge that had been re-named for him.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6394
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, excellent story.

Careful now,it was Briggs Stadium in 1956.

We went on Sundays since that's when dad could take us. He preferred upper deck, Sec. 23 or 24.
At Cass Tech. we would play hooky in the afternoon, and walk over to Briggs Stadium for daygames. No telling how many greats we saw.

The accomodation for Al Kaline is classic in Detroit baseball lore. Kaline's Corner was carved out for him since he could get to that corner in a flash. Nobody had an arm like him to the plate or third base.

jjaba, Briggs Stadium memories, and thanks for the video.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba:

from the wsu virtual library. Gen MacArthur on steps of old city hall

MacArthur at city hall
MacArthur and wife
Macarthur Parade

DetNews article about Virgil Trucks

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best part of the film was the idea of shooting some footage of his friends going out together. Occasionally, the filmmaker would pan his friends seated along side him, in the moment, enjoying themselves. The sports footage brought to mind the film, A Bronx Tale, about a boy who becomes friendly with a neighborhood mobster. The boy is a Yankees fan and a huge Mickey Mantle fan. The mobster questions the worth of such loyalty and asks the boy "what did Mickey Mantle ever do for you?" Well, you can ask that question of any of your sports heroes and come back wanting.
The film is a tribute to good friends with whom he enjoyed the pleasure of their company.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful film.....I could smell the beer, red hots and popcorn. Kaline with 5 rbi to beat the Yankees....and as someone mentioned above, you can bet they all met up with many of the Yankees at the Lindell after the game.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.