Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What is wrong with Monica Conyers? » Archive through April 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's following in the proud tradition of Kay "East side" Everett, Brenda Scott, Clyde Cleveland. Lotta proud tradition up on that panel.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was touched by the photo of monica posing with a young man unable to afford a shirt, pants that fit, and stricken with crippling arthritis."

That's THE BEST one I've heard all day. Almost blew my diet soda all over the computer monitor. Thanks for the great laugh!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, when she digs a hole for herself she makes no attempt to get out, she just keeps on digging.

The look on Gargiola's face is priceless.

(Message edited by rjk on April 11, 2008)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the video hosted by Fox2 and think I heard clapping while Conyers was accusing the "media" and referring to herself as a "child of God".

There is such an amazing disconnect between Detroit voters (who will certainly re-elect her if she runs) and those eeevil outsiders (suburbanites, people who care about the city, etc.).

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken Cockrel Jr. has already shown he is a leader.
Something that has been lacking for some years past.
(Except for Archer)
And the awful part is Kwame's kids show the same indifference to what's going on.
They are already on the ego trip, with no hope of getting off.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame tapped it. John Conyers kinda old.

Wonder if her babies pictures look like Kwame?

Bigb23

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's baby:

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite all his legal problems, Kwame's still a well spoken, charismatic figurehead. Heaven forbid what would come out if Steve Wilson got reassigned from Kwame to Monica.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That already happened once. remember the Hawaii trip Detroit sent 1500 people on a few years ago. Wilson chased Monica down the street while she called for help. "Help Help Im being harassed!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I see of this lunacy, the more my respect grows for Ken Cockrel Jr, he has been a gentleman and an articulate and balanced leader through this entire process--from being called out by KK at Orchestra Hall to being referred to as Shrek. The only unfortunate circumstance of his becoming Mayor will be that this bar-brawling idiot will become Council President. For all the bickering and nonsense that I saw out of the meeting today--I found myself mourning the loss of Maryann Mahaffey.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg...I just saw this on Jimmie Kimmel!! I am truly embarrassed that once again we have attracted more negative attention from national media. Although it was hilarious...When will this torture end?...Detroit will never be able to outrun this shadow of coonery no matter how hard we try, not that anyone is trying! I am officially done!! I can't deal with it no more...I'll try back say November 2009, and then see where Detroit is at!! For now...I need a break!!

Bigb23

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coonery - you blew it, Detroitmaybe-
F- U

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bigb23

I am black..thank u!!

It is coonery...I am so tired of these disrespectful, unprofessional, ignorant Black folks perpetuating and confirming the same ignorant image that so many already have of us!! We have worked so hard for equality in this country, and so many have fought for our Civil Rights for us to even be able to be involved in the political process....the behavior of most of Detroits elected official is simply embarrassing.

I am so disheartened by the public display of ignorance that Detroits elected officials continue display, and how they seem to find any opportunity to encourage the negative perceptions that so many already have of us. They have no respect for themselves, their colleagues, and especially for the Citizens of Detroit----Yes, I call it coonery!(my apologies to those that feel offended)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true Warren city council isn't 10% as screwed up as this one.

My biggest hope is that the business leaders who have invested a lot of time and $ into Detroit don't throw up their hands and walk away.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, BibB23. F U. People of good will of all races are sickened.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken Cockrel said in an interview that Monica Conyers has changed the way she felt about the situation with the mayor. He said first she wanted to investigate (or something like that) and now she is a supporter of the mayor's. The reporters were trying to get him to explain further and he said "You're the reporters, look into it."

I wonder if there is something that made her change her mind to support the mayor?????

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is John Conyers up for re-election again this year? No Kwami - no re-election?

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a 'child of God'?

Are not we all CHILDREN OF GOD ?

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone answer why Detroiters are on this never-ending and mythic quest for RESPECT? Might they one day endeavor to earn it through achievement as opposed to wildly demanding it for no apparent reason?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, boy, I just saw this debacle on the Today show, and you could hear the laughter in the news reporters voice. She brought up the fact that if our sex-scandal ridden mayor is ousted, "The council president will become mayor, and Conyers will become council president". This is just the boost Detroit needs to make a comeback. I see people flooding in from all parts of the country and even abroad. Maybe kids will ask their parents to move here so they can live in the city where Shrek is mayor.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that reporters line from Ken.

The Conyers family and Kilpatrick family are close, most likely for the completely innocent reason that they're both in politics and serve together in various capacities. So there are deep personal ties there.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been a fan of John Conyers, but now, I really feel his pain. Waking up next to Monica would be difficult.
I plan to move to Detroit so I can vote for him.

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it but What Monica did in the chambers and now it's all over the web and national TV didn't help the image of Detroit government one bit.

Detroitmaybe I concur.

On a more crude note, does Monica by not acquiescing to decorum, when called for, lead to the question, do women sometimes bring violence on themselves in a less protective atmosphere ?

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk to the hand, Baby, talk to the hand.

Whatever...Whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qqOSNI7l0bQ

Anyone see Jerry Springer and crew there by chance?

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monica is bitch, and a stupid one at that.
She needs to be bitch slapped.
God save us all if she becomes council pres.
How can we remove her from that office?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6085
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ That would probably require Detroiters to vote based on something other than name recognition. So far, the batting record isn't great.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

most likely for the completely innocent reason that they're both in politics and serve together in various capacities

I doubt that part of it.

This whole episode is still funny a day later. No wonder Kilpatrick is still mayor.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can someone answer why Detroiters are on this never-ending and mythic quest for RESPECT? Might they one day endeavor to earn it through achievement as opposed to wildly demanding it for no apparent reason?"

Detroit lost most of its national respect when we burned down nearly half of our own, beautiful, world class city in July of 1967 and in the 1970s when crime and racial division was rampant.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a picture of Monica with Jjaba?

I only ask because of the Westside hand sign.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I especially like the NWA tatoo. And I don't think he works for Northwest Airlines.