Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The need to save money on Detroit city services - Youngstown, Ohio. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/0 8/real_estate/radical_city_pla n/index.htm?cnn=yes

Would that strategy work to help Detroit shrink the area's footprint to a more manageable level, hence saving big money in the process ?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Granted, a much smaller city, but a lot can be learned from that article. Also this one:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080414/BUSINES S06/804140363

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...

Katherine Yung of the Freep said:
quote:

• Don't underestimate the power of community spirit and pride.

More than anything else, Pittsburghers' devotion to their city seems to have kept it from becoming a wasteland. Those who didn't leave town when the mills closed have formed an emotional attachment to the area on par with the fierce loyalty exhibited by Pittsburgh Steelers fans across the nation.

"People love this city like no other city in the world," said Michael Madison, a University of Pittsburgh law professor who writes Pittsblog, a blog about the area.

• Capitalize on community pride.

The region has rolled out a new branding campaign, but too many Detroiters speak poorly of their city.

Almost the exact opposite of how many people in Metro Detroit feel about Detroit.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many empty areas in Detroit. Do you suppose the city is still supporting garbage pickup, water and sewer service, and streetlighting in these areas?

(Message edited by gazhekwe on April 14, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement, I strongly disagree. I think it is the devotion of the residents, business people, and maybe even a few of the tourists that is holding Detroit together as we speak.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit should offer grants to areas, but not to remake open spaces, but to rebuild homes and shops.

There is a block for example, Euclid between Woodward and Second Ave where new development (row house) is interrupted by a house, that is about to fall apart.

<313>

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, remember I said "many." Not most, not all, many. All you have to do is look at a few threads on this very web site and you will see the hate constantly being spewed all over the place.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you also said "Metro Detroit" and those aren't the people who are going to be instrumental. It is the actual Detroit City residents. The ones who are living it every day, not just arm-chair quarterbacking it.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good choice of words, nevermind then.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People need to clean up their own pig pens.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pride does not pay bills. Money does. As much as I loved Detroit and the "rust-belt" for that matter...I cannot deny that it was contingent on the auto industry and high-paying jobs. Every aspect of my childhood was directly affected by GM, Ford and Chrysler. From Blue Cross and Blue Shield to whether we shopped at at Hudson's. What neighborhood you lived in and whether you owned the property, taxes and being able to go to Cedar Point in the summer. And of course the opportunity for me to go to college. All of these things were directly affected by the auto industry.

There always has to be money. Period. Without that...this article just indicates that the city of Youngstown has become a large "park" and the people who lived there who were offered the "incentive"

"When only one or two occupied homes remain, the city offers incentives - up to $50,000 in grants - for those home owners to move, so that the entire area can be razed."

...well...where do they move to? What this amounts to...is shrink the town and not include anything or anyone that does not generate money.
Wow! Great solution! We created a small town out of a big city...I thought the objective was to grow...not downsize. And if you are going to "downsize"...why call it a success?

Why don't we just downsize the entire country? Give land back to the Indians. Oh my God...I said a cuss word there. I am sure if we all moved to the east or the west but not both and concentrated our money and pride...we could have a great looking country for everyone....right?

What cities need are gainfully paid occupations. Wall Street of course is not interested in hearing anything like this as I would imagine any of you here that are stockholders in any company that has laborers.

(Message edited by KaptanSolo on April 15, 2008)

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, looks like I struck a nerve. Good!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kaptansolo, you complain about Youngstown's solution, but if the jobs aren't going there, then there has to be an alternative to saving the city for the people who remain. In the thread the "Worst Parts of Detroit" I advocate that certain areas of the city should be mothballed like what they are doing in Youngstown.

I'm concerned with the city saving money by concentrating city services among a denser population. Jobs would be great, but until that happens the population of the Detroit will continue to shrink. Why not shrink the size of the city or mothball areas with little population until Detroit can turn things around and finds that miracle that will repopulate the city?

Being smaller and efficient is always the preferred business model. Detroit should give it a try. What's to lose? Oh, yeah, more of the population who's unhappy with the level of current city services.

(Message edited by royce on April 15, 2008)

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Royce,
I will meet you halfway.

The land that is "unannexed" will become farmland available to those who just did not have a job and could not find one. Yes a good ole fashioned land grant. 40 acres and a mule if you will. You can certainly grow your own food that way and that eliminates the government handout other than the land.

We will have to work out more details...I have a shovel and I can get a rake and be in Detroit in the morning...

Let me know...

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if we create enough farmland it'll get developed into suburban sprawl inside the City limits. :-)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Privatize DDOT

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 640
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not posted much lately, since Miss Cleo came back with a user name too close to mine (Missmich vs. Missnmich),but funaho's solution is the best farmland proposal I have ever seen.

Thanks for the laugh ...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest obstacle I see for you guys is locations. To many people want a urban environment. Strong opposition would make it very hard to create any farms within the Grand Boulevard Loop or immediate surrounding blocks. So your left with uptown (between the loop and outskirts) and the outskirts. Unfortunately, most of the vacant neighborhoods are within that loop, and the outskirts are still pretty dense.

You could buy up some of those semi vacant areas, as they are often very cheap. But then you're displacing residents, and possibly fueling more moves to the suburbs.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new kind of urban renewal in Youngstown. Tear down abandoned buildings and leave things empty.
The mills were taken away and that has also left a lot of empty space.
At least the air is better although with fewer people to breathe it.
I have an aunt still there and crime is a major problem. Housing is dirt cheap and it's a rundown area. There is a lot of Detroit there.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having open green space (either it be a maintained park or a swath of land that is allowed to be reclaimed by nature) seems like it would be great. Not only would the ecological footprint decrease, but I can only assume that after a couple of years it would raise property values.

However, one negative of rising property values is gentrification which at present seems only to displace the poor as opposed to helping them help themselves. I’d also be worried about the loss of historic gems. From my drives through the city there seem to be many abandoned homes that ARE able to be rehabbed. Was it here on DetroitYes! that I read that the city has one of the highest numbers of pre-WWII buildings? I would hate to see that number decrease…

(Message edited by arc312 on April 23, 2008)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 681
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a one half percent county sales tax for Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties to pay for a merged DDOT and SMART to replace current subsidies?

This is what the Transportation Riders United wants as per a meeting in Royal Oak with SEMCOG and a state senator. They want to change the state constitution to allow this.

What do you DY'ers think of this? Obviously regional taxes will help Detroit and make it possible to lower city taxes. Do you DY'ers want to pay for a regional transit system to merge DDOT and SMART?

Please comment on this as this does apply to lowering city taxes and is what our regional leaders at SEMCOG recommend and they do control federal and state funds thus this comment does apply here.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are you going protect these green spaces from dumpers and other idiots?
Perhaps a scarecrow with an AK47?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.