Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Discount tickets available online - 2008 Indian Village Home and Garden Tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d

Hey guys thought you'd like to know that advanced-day discount tickets are now available to purchase for this great tour, June 7th, online: http://historicindianvillage.org/homeandgardentour.html

We've got a bunch of FANTASTIC homes on the tour this year, including 1723 Iroquois, or what is commonly known as the Dodge mansion. Click through to the website to purchase tickets, see the homes that are on tour, plus past tourbook covers, etc.

g

Hope to see you there!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4622
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Quinn. I can't wait.

That is one of my favorite homes...anywhere. Didn't it go up for sale recently?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4623
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Lord, the Buhl mansion is on the tour, too! And 853 Iroquois is fantastic. Good stuff.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it's for sale...probably the only reason it's on the tour to be honest!

Yes, we've got several of great homes this year.

Here are all of the homes for you guys too lazy to click ;P

a

853 Iroquois
Andrew McEnill & Sons, Builders
A rare example in Historic Indian Village, this Queen Anne Victorian style home bespeaks another gracious era.
Tour Type: Home

r

1116 Iroquois
John Scott & Co., Architects
Homes in the Gothic style are also sparse in the Village; the original owner of this large home was Arthur Hiram Buhl.
Tour Type: Home & Garden

q

1723 Iroquois
Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, Architects
This one-of-a-kind Indian Village Home was originally built for Winifred Dodge & William J. Gray.

q

2218 Iroquois
John Scott & Co., Architects
This clean-lined Arts & Crafts home will charm you.

t

2233 Iroquois
George D. Mason, Architect
Here is a small, but lovely garden that features roses.
Tour Type: Garden

h

2236 Iroquois
Urban Building Co., Builder
The dark brick on this Arts & Crafts home exudes a rich warmth from the street, particularly in the afternoon sun.

n

2480 Iroquois
Davock Bldg. Co., Builder
This Colonial Revival jewel comes with all the features of the original period.

u

776 Seminole
Chittenden & Kotting, Architects
The young couple doing a complete restoration on this home have their work cut out for them. If you are a This Old House fan, you’ll enjoy this stop on our H&G Tour.

a

2916 Seminole
Cook Farm Co., Builders
This is only one view of this extraordinary cottage garden that will delight you on your visit.
Tour Type: Garden

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4624
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see how the owners might be motivated to put it on the tour because they're trying to sell it (for well over a million, too), but I can think of a lot of good reasons a house like that should be on an architecture tour!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

853 Iroquois...isn't that the place with the Blood Hound? Pics are beautiful. The dog cracks me up too...I've never heard such a loud dog in my life. It's almost as if his (or her) body is hollowed out in order to amplify the sound.

I can't wait for the tour.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder... the tour is this Saturday. Online ticket sales available until Friday at the website above.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the food part of the ticket price? Just wondering...

Dougw

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe there is food included in the ticket price.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4881
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope.

The prices are a bargain for what you see in any year, but especially because of the three big houses this year. This will be awesome.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are my Indian Village photos to get everyone excited for Saturday. I'll be adding more to this set after the show. Enjoy.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure wish that I could be back for the tour.

I noticed on the link, where photos of the past tour brochures are listed, that it says there was no tour in 2000. Why was that?

Dougw

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour was hit hard by the Y2K bug.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey it's great to see 2236 Iroquois on the tour, since I would like to meet my potential neighbors. I might be buying the house immediately next door (2240 Iroquois) for the tidy sum of $149,900.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4909
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome-- that's exciting. Great investment, too.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5457
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty good tour. Wish the sun had been out a little bit more. The clouds made taking pictures a little difficult. Lots of people!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4928
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thoughts here, but I got some good photos I will link you to later.

I thought it was a larger than average crowd, and there were some long waits outside the Gray-Dodge house.

The homes and grounds in the Village are looking better than ever. As I said last year, the money that is getting pumped into the neighborhood is really impressive, and I think many of the properties are much better taken care of than those in comparable suburban neighborhoods.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1723 Iroquois,(Winifred Dodge Gray House), was VERY beautiful. The group I went with guessed the sale price at around $3 million. Actual for sale price: $1.1 MIL! We were floored. It is such a beautiful house.

The only other property on this tour that surpassed it was the unbelievable house at 1116 Iriquois,(Arthur Hiriam Buhl, Sr. House). Loaded with eye popping antiques and hand carved furniture dating back to the 1600's. The present owner being an antiques dealer, obviously. Beautifully laid out house with a wide upstairs hall connecting the bedrooms.

A lot these homes had beautiful paint jobs with stenciled details.

It's hard to resist becoming a regular to this tour.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4929
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true.

Here are my photos of IV; the second half of that set is from today.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, your photos are lovely. Thank you. I was busy with Piquette and the PreservationWayne Tour today...so I missed Indian Village.

Thank you.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 984
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad you'll be in NJ and not there

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone tell me a bit about the house on the southeast corner of Iroquois and Agnes?

I've been going through IV on my way home (by bicycle) from downtown and midtown lately and am particularly struck by this house when I turn the corner.

Disappointed that I didn't have time to make the IV tour this year!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I could only reaffirm the notion that I'll someday, somehow have to live in IV, Spirit. It really feels like it could be a home, but geared best towards family life.

Otter, here are some facts from our guide book:
-1116 Iroquois: The Arthur Hiram Buhl Sr. house
-vintage 1909, designed in a gothic adaptation by John Scott and Co.. Built for $40,000.
-The Buhls were an influential industrial family, and Arthur-- the grandson of Hiram Walker-- was the patriarch at the time he lived in the house.
-The home was a rooming house, and a home for nuns, during the middle of the 20th century. This was put to a stop when a lawsuit enforced the R-1 zoning there.
-----
The interior of the home and its furnishings match the gothic style. There is impressive wood-work and beamed ceilings throughout. The house is expansive. There are two large halls forming an L-shape on the second floor, and the third floor appears to have a large floor-plate as well. I would guess that it is about 12,000 SF.
-it is in beautiful condition, with some modern updates, and an updated, large carriage house apartment for rent. A family (I think a larger one) currently lives in the Buhl mansion.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mackinaw. I didn't realize that address was the Buhl house, mentioned above. It looks huge, but 12,000 s.f. - oof!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5458
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like there were a great deal of younger folks on the tour. My impatient ass didnt want to wait in the lines to get in the houses. Did they allow photos???. I thought the best structure was Jefferson Ave Presbyterian. That church is amazing inside and out...and it is still kept up.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4138
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did they allow photos???.

Outside yes, inside no.

quote:

Seems like there were a great deal of younger folks on the tour

I was there early and saw mostly older folks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4933
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some people snapping photos inside one of the houses, and I didn't see any reprimanding (although I'm sure once a docent saw them they got busted). I stuck to the outside photos...these are private homes so it makes good sense.

The majority of people at an event like this will always be older, but after a few years of doing the the tour this year's had the most people in their 20s-30s and around my age. I even saw a friend unexpectedly. I think Patrick may be on to something.

Patrick- the longest wait was for the Dodge-Gray house, and that line (I was probably there at the peak) was three properties long and took 20+ minutes. The Buhl line took 10 minutes and everything else was minimal wait. Seemed to be worth it in all cases.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The majority of people at an event like this will always be older, but after a few years of doing the the tour...

Mackinaw, if you continue to do tours like this, at some point, the majority of tour goers will actually be younger. :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mackinaw, for the photos. I wasn't able to go this year due to leading the PW Cultural Center tour in the morning and having my niece's graduation party to attend in the afternoon. Will make sure I am able to attend next year as I so enjoy being able to walk the streets of Indian Village, shooting pictures!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4935
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha ain't that the truth, Neilr.

Kathleen-- how were your tours?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.